April 1, 2018
MORNING WORSHIP SEVICE AT 9:30 A.M. –April 1, 2018
Rev. Loren Kotman.…Minister Easter Sunday
Preparation for worship: “For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. But each in his own turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him.” 1 Corinthians 15:20-22
COMING TO WORSHIP THE RISEN LORD
*Responsive Call to Worship:
Pastor: Joyful is the sound we make this morning!
People: For this day liberates us from doubt and fear.
Pastor: Thankful is the song we sing!
People: For this day moves us past darkness and despair.
Pastor: Hopeful is the prayer upon our lips!
People: For this day awakens in us long-awaited new life.
Pastor: Jesus said, “Where two or more are gathered in my name, I am there among them.”
People: Christ lives here and now. He is among us at this and every moment!
Pastor: May his peace and presence be known to you.
People: And also to you.
*God’s Greeting & Mutual Greeting
Choir Anthem: “Something’s Happening”
Opening Song: #388:1-5 “Christ the Lord is Risen Today”
KNEELING BEFORE THE RISEN LORD
God’s Will for Our Lives
Prayer of Confession
Words of Assurance: All: If we confess with our lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in our hears that God raised him from the dead, we will be saved. Thanks be to God. Amen
Hymn of Assurance: #267:1-4 “And Can It Be”
Offering: 1. Mission Fund; 2. Kingdom Boundaries
Offertory: Choir Anthem. “Then Came the Morning”
LISTENING TO OUR RISEN LORD
*Song of Preparation: #396:1-3 “Low In the Grave Christ Lay”
Prayer for Illumination
God’s Word Read: Mark 15:42-16:8
God’s Word Proclaimed: “He Has Risen!”
Prayer of Application
HALLELUJAH TO OUR RISEN LORD
*Song of Response: #368:1-3 “He Lives” (Celebration Hymnal)
(Singers are invited to go to the balcony for the singing of the Hallelujah Chorus)
*indicates congregation stand
organist..Lavonne Kats; brass..Bethany Bosma, Eric Kroese, Alison Kroese
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
April 1, 2018
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL Christ is Risen! Alleluia! Welcome to worship on this Resurrection Sunday! A nursery and quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
WE WELCOME Robert Miedema from Orange City as he leads our evening worship service.
REMINDER of the donation box in the narthex for the Guatemala mission project. A list of needed items is on the back table. Thanks for your help in blessing the “least of these”.
NOTICE: Mission Guild will be held Thursday, April 5, instead of Wednesday, April 4, due to the Christian Education Auction. Also, we will have an offering for Missions.
COME JOIN US on Tues., April 10, from 5-7:30p for IMPACT NIGHT at the Hull Pizza Ranch. Proceeds will go towards the Hull 1st CRC Guatemala Mission Project. Funds will go directly towards house building materials, food bags, Spanish Bibles, and wheelchair sponsorship. Pizza Ranch will donate 10% of the sales for eat in, take out, and delivery. So, please join us and pass the word to friends and family.
CORNERSTONE PRISON CHURCH 12th Annual Benefit Banquet is Monday, April 9, at Trinity CRC. Doors open at 6:00p; meal at 6:30p. RSVP by April 2 by calling Trinity at 476-5292. Freewill offering taken.
SAVE THE DATE – April 25th – YPS 50’s diner! Come out to enjoy hamburgers, brats, hotdogs, and homemade milk shakes on Wed., April 25th, from 5-7p. Reminder that “To Go” boxes are available.
HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS interested in making profession of faith are invited to a preconfession class beginning Sunday morning, April 22, (note change of date) during the Sunday school hour. Call or text Pastor Loren (712-449-5222) or email him email@example.com if you plan to attend.
ANY ADULTS interested in making Profession of Faith call or text Pastor Loren (712-449-5222).
WALL OF NEEDS: Check out the bulletin board next to the church mailboxes to see how you can donate supplies to VBS this year. Simply grab a slip of paper and return the listed donation to church. They can be placed in the basket at the back of church.
VBS VOLUNTEERS: We are needing volunteers to help with Vacation Bible school to help it run smoothly. Those interested in helping (junior high age and older) are asked to sign up on the sheet in back of church. (Please note that although VBS is starting on a Sunday this year, you do not have to miss evening church to attend. Students and helpers are welcome to start their VBS experience on Monday as well). This year we are going to serve a small meal beginning at 5:00p. We are asking for about 4-5 ladies to help out with that. Please note that on the sign up sheet if you are willing to help serve the meal. Any questions, please contact Rachel Bolkema, Jessica Pollema or Ashley Hulstein.
THANK YOU for your expressions of concern, the cards, and prayers during the past weeks. Corrective actions to restore my heart rhythm have been successful. It is a blessing to be part of such a caring church. –Larry Hoekstra
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Give thanks that knee replacement surgery went well for Lois Salazar on Tuesday. Pray for a good recovery.
- Congratulations to Dan and Lisa Poppema on the birth of a son, Jaxson Darwin, born on Tuesday.
- Shari De Wild is scheduled for knee replacement surgery on Monday, April 2, in Sioux Falls. Pray that the surgery goes well and for healing.
- Pray for Joyce Vande Griend. She went to the Sioux Center Hospital Wednesday evening and was transferred to Avera McKennan during the night with an infection and fever. Pray for wisdom for the doctors and for healing.
- Heath Stoker had a consultation with a doctor at Mayo Clinic on Thursday, March 22. The doctor confirmed the Multiple Myeloma diagnosis and agreed with chemo treatment. Heath began 7 weeks of chemo last week in Sioux Center. Pray for healing.
- Shar Bonestroo’s mom, Betty den Hoed is still receiving treatment. Pray for strength and healing.
- Give thanks Sara Grevengoed’s dad, Jim Bynes, is making good progress. Continue to pray for his recovery and for the plans that are being considered to get him back home to continue therapy here.
- Pray for our shut ins: Pleasant Acres: Sally De Groot, Florence Kroese, Melvin Van Otterloo; Aspen Heights: Joyce De Vries, Verne Huisman, Julianne Kats, Chuck & Darlene Kroese, Anthony Smit, Goldie Veldman; Esther Rozeboom: in her son’s home; Wilma Altena: Good Samaritan Society in George; Ardelle Westra in Sioux City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- We express our sympathy to Eileen and Marv Boon in the passing of Eileen’s brother-in-law, Lester Harman, of Hull. Lester passed away on Friday, March 23. The funeral was held this past week. We pray for the Lord’s comfort and encouragement.
- Betty Van Schepen was released from the hospital earlier this week. She is doing well. We give thanks for healing and recovery.
- Linzie Bosma will be having knee surgery this coming Thursday, April 6. We pray for a successful surgery and for healing.
- We continue to pray for strength and healing for Jemma Jean De Jong, daughter of Sarah and Todd De Jong, and grand-daughter of Diana and Dave Kooima. She underwent a heart procedure this week and continues to be monitored closely.
- We keep Cruise De Groot in prayer, as he spends time between home and Nebraska, where he trains and prepares for his deployment with the US Army.
- We pray for many others who continue to recover from recent surgeries, illnesses, or treatments. We pray for peace, patience, and endurance.
- We remember our members who reside in care facilities: Marv Boon at Prairie Ridge Care Center in Orange City, and Evelyn Dykstra in Byron Center Manor in Byron Center, MI. We also pray for their families as they support them.
Western 8th grade day will be held Thursday, April 5, at 3:00p. All 8th graders, regardless of their high school plans, are invited to visit Western on that day. Western will provide transportation for all the students to attend, and parents are requested to pick them up. If parents are not able to attend, we would be glad to arrange transportation home for any student. All parents are invited to come to Western at 5:30p for a free meal, displays, and tours. Questions, contact the office at Western (439-1013).
NAMI SUPPORT GROUP will meet at Central Reformed Church in Sioux Center from 7-9p on Tues., Apr. 3. Individuals & family members coping with mental illness are welcome. Call Shirley Matheis at 722-4462.
HOPE HAVEN, INC. Annual Benefit Auction is Friday, April 6, at Te Slaa Trucking. Doors open at 4:30p, food booth and buy-it-now table at 4:30p and the live auction begins at 5:30p.
SIOUXLAND HABITAT for Humanity is accepting partner family applications for our home ownership program for a future home in Hull. A meeting will be held April 10 at the Hull Library from 5:30-6:30p to provide information and answer questions. Application forms are available at the Hull City Office, Hull Library and online at http://siouxlandhabitat.org/our-programs/home-ownership/. Completed applications are due by April 20. Contact Kurt Franje, 712-476-2804 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
NW IA SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA will present its annual Spring Concert, A Mighty Fortress, on Tuesday, April 10, at 7:30 in the Dordt Auditorium. Guest artist is Dr. Richard Steinbach. This Spring Concert will also feature the announcement of the 2018-2019 season. Season tickets will be offered for a special discounted price. Advance tickets are available at Evie’s Hallmark in Sioux Center and Jubon Juweelen in Orange City as well as at the door the night of the concert. For information, contact the NISO office at 722-6230 or email@example.com.
LIVING WITH GRIEF program is slated for April 11, from 1-3:00p in the lower level conference room at Orange City Area Health System main campus. Individuals struggling with loss will learn self-help strategies as they cope with loss. To attend call, 712-737-5279. CEUs available.
BETHANY CHRISTIAN Services ASK Banquet is scheduled for Thurs., April 12, at the Terrace View Event Center. Punch starting at 6:00p followed by a complimentary meal served at 6:30p. RSVP for the meal by April 2 by calling Bethany Christian Services at 712-737-4831 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ALL WOMEN & girls are invited to Night to Shine & Sparkle at Trinity CRC in Rock Valley on April 12. Doors opening at 5:00p with vendors; and a light meal will be served. Tickets can be purchased for $15 each emailing email@example.com or calling/texting 712-449-8150.
8TH ANNUAL MINNIKOTA YOUTH/Dordt College Junior High (6th-8th graders) Retreat is April 20-22 at Inspiration Hills. The theme this year is from Romans 12:1-2 “Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” The theme is “TRANSFORMED”. If you have not received a registration form from your church text Lee De Groot at 712-470-4244 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. The registration deadline is April 12.
INSPIRATION HILLS is looking for summer staff. Check our Facebook page or website for more information. Opportunities can be found at www.inspirationhills.org.