April 29, 2018
MORNING WORSHIP SEVICE AT 9:30 A.M. –April 29, 2018
Rev. Loren Kotman.…Minister GEMS Sunday
Preparation for worship: We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.”
I John 2:3-6
WE GATHER IN THE PRESENCE OF GOD
*Call to Worship
*God’s Greeting & Mutual Greeting
*Opening Song: SW#7 “Lord, I Lift Your Name on High”
WE ARE RENEWED IN GOD’S GRACE
God’s Will for Our Lives
Assurance of God’s Pardon
Hymn of Assurance: #486:1-3 “Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing”
WE GIVE THANKS FOR THE GEMS MINISTRY
GEMS Litany (on PPT)
Ministry of Music: GEMS Theme Song: “I Want to be Like Jesus”
Report on GEMS
Offering: 1. GEMS; 2. Lifelight
Offertory: Video on pictures from the GEMS year
GOD SPEAKS THROUGH HIS WORD
*Song of Preparation: #762 “Ancient Words” (LUYH)
Prayer for Illumination
God’s Word Read: I John 2:1-14
God’s Word Proclaimed: “In His Steps”
Prayer of Application
WE GO OUT TO WALK WITH GOD
*Song of Response: SW#42 “Cry of My Heart”
*Parting Song: “Go Now in Peace”
(please allow teachers/students to exit first)
*indicates congregation stand
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE:
GREETERS TODAY: AM GEMS; PM Clark & Lavonne Van Schepen, Deacon Brody & Jessica Pollema
GREETERS NEXT SUNDAY: Eldon & Lisa Van Schepen, Elder Dave & Kay Kroese
NURSERY TODAY: AM Tina Bruxvoort, Ruth Kats, Kyrin De Groot, Ashlyn Grevengoed, Amanda Wiersma; PM Mitchell Byl Family
NURSERY NEXT SUNDAY: AM Jana Rens, Bobbie Kroese, Talan De Yager, Makenna Fedders, Jakob Emerick; PM Matt Bosma Family
USHERS FOR MAY.: Mike Grevengoed, Kevin Driesen, Kyle LeLoux, Rick Leusink
OFFERINGS: Today – Envelope receipts are for the church budget or for the cause(s) designated on your envelope. The loose offering is for 1. GEMS; 2. Lifelight
NEXT SUNDAY: AM Building Fund; PM Western Christian
COFFEE SERVERS TODAY: Rod & Connie TK NEXT WEEK: Dave & Vanessa TS
POWER POINT TODAY: Kirk NEXT WEEK: Shirley
SOUND SYSTEM TODAY: Rick NEXT SUNDAY: Ben
CORRESPONDENCE: Evan Wielenga to Justin Van Zee; Randy Winterfeld to Steve & Tara Dekkers; Eric Zomermaand to Kevin Schutte; Lynn Anderson to Lauren Runia; Sean Baccam to Sos & Kara Maletoungou (For those wishing to send an email, addresses are in the directory, first page, under “Missionaries Supported”.)
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
9:30 AM Worship Service
10:45 AM Coffee fellowship in the basement
10:45 AM Sunday School/Catechism Classes
10:45 AM Choir Rehearsal
6:00 PM Evening Service
7:00 PM Music & Worship Committee Meeting
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
April 29, 2018
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL Jesus says he is the vine and we are the branches. Sometimes branches grow neatly together; other times they get tangled up! However you feel about the “branches” next to you, greet one another in peace as we prepare to worship our True Vine. A nursery and quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
TODAY is GEMS Sunday. We welcome the GEMS to our morning worship service.
THIS EVENING we welcome Ben Wiersma as he leads our worship service. His message is from Philippians 4:8-9, titled “Learn and Do”.
NEXT SUNDAY MORNING Pastor Klompien will be bringing God’s word to us. Next Sunday evening the Chamber Singers from Western will be ministering to us through their music. This will be a combined service with Hope CRC. Rev. Zuidema will be bringing the message.
PASTOR LOREN will be gone from Thursday, May 3, through Sunday, May 6. In case of a special need contact Rev. Klompien or your Care Group Elder.
ASCENSION DAY will be commemorated on Sunday morning, May 13th.
PARENTS: If you have a son/daughter who is graduating from college/trade school this year and you did not get an information form for them in your mailbox, please call me at 439-1626, email me at email@example.com or put a note in my church mailbox. We will be honoring our graduates on Sunday morning, May 20th. -Karen
COUNCIL NOMINATIONS: The following are nominated for Elder (vote for 6 and 3 will be elected): Arch Brummel, Roger De Kruyf, Kevin Driesen, Merlin Kroese, Jim Oostenink, Dave Rozeboom, Rod Te Krony, Lee Van Grouw, Daryl Wesselink. The following are nominated for Deacon (vote for 8 and 4 will be elected): Ryan Bolkema, Dan Bonestroo, Matt Bosma, Troy Bruxvoort, Mitch Byl, Rick De Groot, Ryan Fedders, Andrew Hoekstra, Kyle Pollema, Dan Poppema, Nic Van Engen, Randy Westra. Voting will take place after the AM service on May 20 with the drawing of lots at the PM service on May 20.
BANQUET: We are scheduled to serve the evening meal on Wed., May 30th. We need 6-8 volunteers to help prepare the meal at 2:00p and 35-40 volunteers to help serve the meal. There is a signup sheet on the narthex table. We are also scheduled on the 30th for the evening chapel at 7:45p at the Gospel Mission. We will need special music and someone to deliver the message. Call Tim Kats at 712-578-9728 if you are willing to help.
MEMBERSHIP TRANSFERS: The communicant membership of Jo Dirksen has been transferred, at her request, to the Carmel Reformed Church. The communicant memberships of Jonathan and Kaitlyn De Wild have been transferred, at their request, to Adventure Life Reformed Church in Altoona, IA. We wish them God’s blessing in their new church home.
WALL OF NEEDS: Check out the bulletin board to see how you can donate supplies to VBS this year. Simply grab a slip of paper and return the listed donation to church. Place item in the basket at the back of church.
VBS VOLUNTEERS needed to help VBS run smoothly. Those interested in helping (junior high age & older) are asked to sign up on the sheet in back of church. (Please note that although VBS is starting on a Sunday this year, you do not have to miss evening church to attend. Students and helpers are welcome to start their VBS experience on Monday as well). This year we are going to serve a small meal beginning at 5:00p. We’re asking for about 4-6 ladies to help out on Thursday night, June 7. Please note that on the sign up sheet if you are willing to help serve the meal. Questions, please contact Rachel Bolkema, Jessica Pollema or Ashley Hulstein.
BIBLE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL Spring Salad Luncheon is scheduled for Monday, May 7, at 1st CRC in Orange City. Learn about the work of the Bible League in Latin American and enjoy the music of the Siouxland Women’s Chorus. You are asked to bring a salad for every 2 people to share. Drinks provided. Please give this your prayerful consideration. It would be great to have a large group come together to support their work!
THANK YOU: Thanks to everyone who came out to support the YPS this past Wednesday at the diner. We were blown away by the terrific turnout! Thank you also for all the prayers over the last year.
THANK YOU to those who have been there for us over the last 4 years. It is both exciting and difficult to anticipate a change and yet we feel called to Faith Reformed Church in Brookings, SD. We ask that you continue to support the ministry of Cornerstone as Pastor Doug De Groot and the other leaders seek to follow God’s future. Our final service with the guys was Friday, April 27. –Pastor Rick & Terese Van Ravenswaay
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Florence Kroese suffered a broken vertebrae in her neck and a broken pelvis as a result of a fall on Thursday, April 19. She was hospitalized in Avera and in the Sioux Center Hospital and returned to Pleasant Acres on Wednesday. Pray for healing.
- Jeanette Boogerd was admitted to Sanford Hospital in Sioux Falls last Sunday for tests. She was released on Wednesday to Pleasant Acres.
- Continue to pray for Walt den Hoed, Becky Heynen and Shari De Wild as they recover from recent surgeries.
- Continue to remember Lisa Wiersma in your prayers. A port was put in place on Friday. Pray for treatment as it begins in the next couple of weeks.
- Pray for Heath Stoker as he continues with chemo treatment.
- Give thanks that the chemo treatment for Shar Bonestroo’s mom has gone well. The cancer markers are almost in the normal range. She is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday, May 1. Pray that the surgery goes well and for healing.
- Please pray for our Guatemala Mission team as they prepare to travel May 1-8. They are Val Brummel, LuAnn, Matt and Josh De Wild, Larry & Marcia Hoekstra, Gerald Jansen, and Jason Kats. Also, check out the church bulletin board for the profiles of the families who will be receiving a new home. Please keep these families, as well as the home visit families and wheelchair recipients, in prayer too.
- Pray for our shut ins: Pleasant Acres: Sally De Groot, Florence Kroese, Melvin Van Otterloo; Aspen Heights: Joyce De Vries, Julianne Kats, Chuck & Darlene Kroese, Anthony Smit, Goldie Veldman; Fieldcrest in Sheldon: Verne Huisman, Esther Rozeboom: in her son’s home; Good Samaritan Society in George: Wilma Altena; Ardelle Westra: Sioux City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Wilma Heynen had a biopsy this week of a tumor that was discovered in her lung. The procedure went well and she will receive the results next week. Please pray for clear answers, effective treatment, and complete healing.
- Sandy Nielsen had surgery on her foot and ankle to remove plates and also to relieve some of the pain that she has been experiencing in her ankle. We pray for her healing.
- Janet De Groot, mother of Doug De Groot, fell and broke her leg this past week. She underwent surgery to repair it. Please pray for her healing.
- Marilyn Van Der Zwaag, mother of Cal Van Der Zwaag, continues her recovery at Pleasant Acres. Please pray for her continued healing.
- We continue to pray for strength and healing for Jemma Jean De Jong, daughter of Sarah and Todd De Jong, and grand-daughter of Diana and Dave Kooima. Jemma will be preparing for another important surgery later this spring.
- We keep Cruise De Groot in prayer, as he spends time between home and Nebraska, where he trains and prepares for his deployment with the US Army.
- We pray for many others who continue to recover from recent surgeries, illnesses, or treatments. We pray for peace, patience, and endurance.
- We remember our members who reside in care facilities: Marv Boon at Prairie Ridge Care Center in Orange City, and Evelyn Dykstra in Byron Center Manor in Byron Center, MI. We also pray for their families as they support them.
HCS is accepting applications for 2 paraprofessionals for the 2018-2019 school year. The position will require working with a variety of students and assisting teachers in the classroom. Staff applications can be found on our webpage or by contacting school. Contact Randy Ten Pas at 439-2273 with questions.
CLC Network, also known as the Christian Learning Center, is working to open their first regional office here in the Heartland! Their mission is to equip congregations and schools to glorify God through purposeful, innovative inclusion of persons with varied abilities. In order to launch successfully in Sept. 2018, they are seeking a local one-bedroom, furnished apartment or condo for their staff member. If you have ideas, please contact Sharon Ward at 616-245-8388 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Contributions to this regional office are welcome at clcnetwork.org/give.
Western is conducting their annual spring drive. The Board of Directors has designated $30,000 for the Spring Drive to help reduce tuition for all students. The Board has also allocated up to $100,000 to renovate the new thrift store that Western will be opening this summer. This will be a great source of additional revenue to support Christian education. Currently about 1/3 of the funds have been raised. If you haven’t made a gift yet, please consider making a gift soon as Western would like to conclude this drive by May 4. Thank you.
THE NAMI SUPPORT GROUP will meet in the Fireside Room of Central Reformed Church in Sioux Center from 7-9p on Tuesday, May 1. A video about psychosis will be shown. Call Shirley Matheis at 722-4462.
DORDT COLLEGE Concert Band will present a Pre-European Tour Concert at 7:30p on Friday, May 4, in the Auditorium. This concert kicks off a tour with performances in Germany, Austria and Hungary.
AUDITIONS for membership in the Northwest Iowa Symphony Youth Orchestra (NISYO) will be held on Sat., May 5, at the Dordt College Music Building. NISYO is seeking string players from middle school through high school to join all sections of the orchestra. Contact NISYO conductor, Dr. Stanichar at 605-929-3924.
DORDT COLLEGE Choral Ensembles spring concert is Sat., May 5, at 7:30p in the Auditorium. It will feature the Concert Choir, Chorale, Kantorei, and Bella Voce.
JFA is looking for an office manager. This is a part-time position of 20 hours per week. The hours are flexible, and we are looking for help during the hours of 9:00a and 3:00p. Contact Joe Vander Zee 476-2804 or email@example.com.