August 19, 2018
MORNING WORSHIP SEVICE AT 9:30 A.M. –August 19, 2018
Rev. Loren Kotman.…Minister
Preparation for worship: “Where two or three come together in My name, there am I with them.” Matthew 18:20
WE GATHER AS A FAMILY
*Call to Worship: (Ps. 100)
*Opening Hymn: #214 “He Has Made Me Glad” (Celebration Hymnal)
*God’s Greeting & We Greet Those Around Us
*Hymn: #220 “He Is Here” Sing Twice – 2nd time a cappella (Celebration Hymnal)
WE CONFESS AS A FAMILY
God’s Will for Our Lives
Call to Confession
*Song of Response: #86:1-3 “Lord, My Petition Heed”
Words of Assurance
Presentation by Sylvia Eekhoff on Kid’s Club
Offering: Benevolent Fund
Offertory: video on Kid’s Club
WE GROW AS A FAMILY
*Hymn of Preparation: #755:1-3 “Speak, O Lord” (LUYH)
Prayer of Illumination
God’s Word Read: 2 Kings 5:1-19
God’s Word Proclaimed: “Naaman Healed of Leprosy”
Prayer of Application
WE LEAVE AS A NEW FAMILY
*Hymn of Response: #260:1-3 “Not What My Hands Have Done”
*Parting Song: #319:3,4 “Savior, Again to Your Dear Name We Raise”
*indicates congregation stand
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE:
GREETERS TODAY: Evan & Shondra Wielenga, Elder Larry & Marcia Hoekstra
GREETERS NEXT SUNDAY: Randy & Mindy Winterfeld, Deacon Noah & Susan De Yager
NURSERY SUNDAY: AM Brittany Veldman, Judi Wesselink, Makenna Fedders, Riley Grevengoed, Anna Zomermaand; PM Justin Te Slaa Family
NURSERY NEXT SUNDAY: AM Sandy Westra, Michelle Zomermaand, Talan De Yager, Maeva Haveman, Ashlyn Grevengoed; PM Tom Sheffield Family
USHERS FOR AUG.: Ryan Kroese, Glen Scholten, Ted Salazar, Dan Fedders
USHERS FOR SEPT.: Ted Salazar, Dan Fedders, Alex Westra, Travis Grevengoed
VALET PARKING FOR AUG.: 19: Dawson Feenstra, Dalton Westra; 26: Logan Baccam, Justin Pollema; Sept. 3. Curtis Van Grouw, Zach Mouw
OFFERINGS: Today – Envelope receipts are for the church budget or for the cause(s) designated on your envelope. The loose offering is for the Benevolent Fund
OFFERING NEXT WEEK: 1. Hull Food Pantry; 2. Family Crisis Center
COFFEE SERVERS TODAY: Lonny & Emily Van Schepen
COFFEE SERVERS NEXT WEEK: Darren & Darla Van’t Hul
POWER POINT TODAY: Shirley
POWER POINT NEXT WEEK: AM Arlene; PM Jason/Julie
SOUND SYSTEM TODAY: Cody
SOUND SYSTEM NEXT SUNDAY: Joel
CORRESPONDENCE: Eric Rens to Justin Van Zee; Shirley Rens to Steve & Tara Dekkers; Jim Rens to Kevin Schutte; Gary Roetman to Lauren Runia; Brian Rozeboom to Sos & Kara Maletoungou (For those wishing to send an email, addresses are in the directory, first page, under “Missionaries Supported”.)
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
9:30 AM Worship Service
10:45 AM Coffee fellowship in the basement
6:00 PM Evening Service
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
August 19, 2018
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL “Great are the words of the Lord!” (Ps. 111:2): long summer days, meteor showers, lakes and forests, time for vacation and rest. Let us worship our generous God. A nursery and quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
THIS MORNING we welcome Carl & Dani Bonestroo and their children, Sawyer, Sadie and Shayne to First CRC. They come to us from Trinity CRC in Rock Valley. They are in Care Group #8. Welcome to our church family!
KID’S CLUB, the after-school ministry for kindergarten through 3rd grade students in the community of Hull, is ready to kick off a new year. Sylvia Eekhoff will be here this morning to share some information about the program, how to register your child, and ways in which you can become involved, A video showing some of the highlights of Kids’ Club from last year will be presented as well.
COMMUNITY IMPACT EVENT: A Tip Night will be held at the Hull Pizza Ranch on Monday, Aug. 20, from 5:30-7:30 to benefit our local Kids’ Club organization. Pizza Ranch will generously donate a percentage of their sales, as well as all the evening’s tips. Modern Woodmen has also agreed to provide matching funds to support this vital after school program. Come and join us!
THIS EVENING Pastor Loren’s message is from Acts 10 titled “A Vision That Changed the World”.
BAPTISM: Next Sunday morning Brad & Lisa Kats will present their daughter, Emily Grace, for baptism.
OFFERING: Next Sunday there will be a special offering for the Family Crisis Center. The money will be used by the Center to purchase a vehicle for a mother and her 3 sons to help get them back on their feet after the family car was destroyed and she was left destitute.
CHURCH PICNIC will be held on Wed., Sept. 5, at 6:30p at Westside Park. Hamburgers, hot dogs, buns, dessert, paper products, and drink will be provided. Please bring a side to share. A sign-up sheet is on the narthex table and in the basement by the kitchen window. Games will be provided by the Young People’s Society. If you know of someone new to the community feel free to invite them. Please sign up today if you are able to come!
USHERS: Starting in October, we will be scheduling men to usher for one month at a time instead of for two months. If you have not been on the schedule and are willing to volunteer your service as an usher, please contact Karen at 439-1626. Ushers are requested to be at church at 9:10a and 5:40p. If you are unable to usher on a particular Sunday, there is a list of alternates that you can contact to help you.
VALET PARKING: Our church is now offering valet parking year round. We are trying to schedule people for 1 week at a time rather than for a whole month. We will not schedule high school students during Sunday School, so would like to have volunteers. If you are willing to do valet parking, please contact Karen (439-1626). Sean Baccam will talk to any volunteers to explain what is being done. Thank you in advance for your help!
ADVANCE NOTICE: Our church is responsible for the service at the Gospel Mission on Wed., August 29th.
THANKS to all who remembered our birthdays and anniversary with cards and words. We appreciate you thinking of us. –Pastor Loren and Norma
OFFERING AMOUNTS FOR JULY:
General Fund: $32,550.74 Benevolent Fund: $ 705.00 World Renew: $699.60
Building Fund: 2,795.00 Mission Fund: 3,885.00
HCS Bldg. Fund: 1,935.00 Village NW 1,048.44
World Renew: 699.60
BIBLE LEAGUE VOLUNTEERS: Space is limited at the Sept. 11 Bible League Volunteer retreat. (Late fees are charged for registrations after Aug. 24.) Sign up today to enjoy the day of fellowship with special guests, including key note speaker, Liz Curtis Higgs. Register on-line at bibleleague.org/retreat 18.
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Jodi Pollema, wife of Carter Pollema, had surgery at Mayo clinic on Monday for an endocrine disorder she has been recently diagnosed with. She hopes to return home this weekend. We praise God she is doing so well.
- Matt and LuAnn De Wild arrived on Wednesday at Craig Rehabilitation in Denver where Matt will receive rehabilitation. Pray for Matt & LuAnn as they adjust to a new situation. Pray for encouragement. Pray that the therapy would go well. Pray for great things! LuAnn’s address is: LuAnn DeWild, Room 424, Craig Hospital, 3425 South Clarkson St., Englewood, CO 80113.
- Heath Stoker has been cleared to proceed with his Autologous Stem Cell Transplant. He had growth shots last week and his cells were harvested. He will be admitted to Sioux Falls hospital for a minimum of three weeks starting on Mon, Aug 20 for hard chemo & then receive his stem cells back on Tue, Aug 21. Please keep Heath & Kayla in your prayers as they go through this very difficult process.
- Lisa Wiersma began a second round of chemo on August 14. Pray for minimal side effects from the second round of treatment.
- Continue to remember Marcy Stellinga as she recovers from surgery.
- Give thanks that knee replacement surgery went well for Donna Rens on Thursday. Pray for a good recovery.
- Pray for our shut ins: Pleasant Acres: Sally De Groot, Florence Kroese; Aspen Heights: Joyce De Vries, Julianne Kats, Chuck & Darlene Kroese, Goldie Veldman; Fieldcrest in Sheldon: Verne Huisman, Esther Rozeboom: in her son’s home; Good Samaritan Society in George: Wilma Altena; Ardelle Westra: Sioux City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Vanessa Steiger had surgery this past Thursday to remove her gallbladder. We pray for her during her recovery and that she will now have relief from the symptoms she has been experiencing.
- Jan Van Soelen had knee replacement surgery this past Thursday. We pray for her recovery over the next few weeks.
- We continue to keep Sandy Nielsen in our prayers as she recovers from hip replacement surgery.
- Glen Kooiker continues his recovery from knee replacement surgery.
- Wilma Heynen continues with her treatment for cancer. We pray for encouragement, strength and healing.
- We pray for Jemma De Jong’s continued progress and healing and strength for the De Jong and Kooima families.
- Cruise De Groot continues his deployment to the Middle East. Cruise’s parents will provide his address if you’d like to send him a note. You may also message him through Facebook. Please pray for his safety and encouragement.
- We remember our members who reside in care facilities: Marv Boon at Prairie Ridge Care Center in Orange City, and Evelyn Dykstra in Byron Center Manor in Byron Center, MI. We also pray for their families as they support them.
HCS is accepting applications for an administrative assistant beginning immediately. This is a part-time position, working Tuesday through Friday and two days a week during the summer. Staff applications can be found on our webpage or by contacting school. Applicants should contact Principal Randy Ten Pas at 439-2273 or e-mail email@example.com with any questions or to receive a job description.
HCS Biannual Society Meeting & Open House will be on Monday, Aug. 20, at 7:00p for all society members in the school gym. A budget and agenda are available in the school office. An open house for students to visit their classrooms and meet their teachers will follow at 7:30p.
HCS classes will begin on Thursday, Aug. 23, at 8:25p. Parents, grandparents, and friends are invited to opening exercises in the gym at 8:45a.We will start off the year with a time of singing and prayer; introducing faculty and staff, the Kindergarteen class, and other new students; and having Board President Ryan Beukelman speak.
HCS Rally Day Sale & Supper will be Sat., Sept. 22. If anyone has an item to donate, please contact the school office at 439-2273 or contact a Board Member. More details to come closer to the event.
GOSPEL CONCERT: The Booth Brothers, a multi-award winning group, will be appearing live in Sioux Falls on Friday, August 24, at Sioux Falls First Church (6300 W. 41st Street). Doors open at 6:00p and the concert begins at 7:00p.
MOPS: Are you an expectant mother or the mother of a child/children up to 5 years old? Then Mother of PreSchoolers welcomes you! Come join the Sioux Center MOPS group where you’ll find spiritual encouragement, friendship and lots of coffee as well as childcare. Drive-through registration is Aug. 30th 10a-12p at First RCA in Sioux Center. For more details find us on Facebook: @SiouxCenterMOPS
SIOUX CENTER MOPS is looking for childcare providers for the 2018-19 season. Contact Vanessa Steiger (712)463-2004 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are willing to help (background check required). Meetings are the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month and we would appreciate the hours of 8:45-11:15a. Ages range from newborn to preschool, and a small group of older home school kids. MOPS runs from September -May.
MEMORY LOSS SUPPORT GROUP will meet on August 30th at 7:00p at Sanford Sheldon Senior Care. The program will be sharing. For more information, call 712-324-6467 or 712-324-6470.
JFA is gearing up for the Annual Fall Auction & Picnic on Thurs., Sept. 6, at the JFA Ministry Center. We are planning a great evening of fun for the whole family! Along with the live and on-line Auction and meal, keep looking for updates on some exciting new additions to this year’s event!
NISO AUDITIONS: Auditions for membership in the Northwest Iowa Symphony Orchestra will be held on Friday, September 7 (Winds & Percussion) and Saturday, September 8 (Strings). Anyone wishing to play in the orchestra for the first time must audition, and all student members need to re-audition each year. For more information or to schedule an audition, contact the NISO office at email@example.com or 722-6230.
LOVE INC: Fall session of Love & Learn classes are starting Tuesday, Sept. 11, at Trinity CRC in Rock Valley. We will be offering our Faith & Finance class and Grief Share. If you’d be able to share your time, talent or treasure to help support these programs it would be a wonderful opportunity to serve in the community. We could use volunteers for greeters, coffee & snack makers & servers, childcare coordinator & workers and Faith & Finance mentors. If you’d like to volunteer or register for these classes contact Love INC at 476-5990.
CENTER FOR FINANCIAL EDUCATION is searching for an energetic, friendly self-starter with competent phone skills and knowledge of, or ability to learn, Microsoft Office. 25-30 reasonably-flexible daytime hours per week. To apply (cover letter and resume) email firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at Center for Financial Education, Attn: Tricia, P.O. Box 343, Sioux Center, IA 51250.