August 26, 2018
MORNING WORSHIP SEVICE AT 9:30 A.M. –August 26, 2018
Rev. Loren Kotman.…Minister
Preparation for worship: “I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more”. Isaiah 43:25 NIV
GOD GATHERS HIS PEOPLE INTO HIS PRESENCE
*Call to Worship
*God’s Greeting & Mutual Greeting
*Opening Song: #249:1-4 “Holy, Holy, Holy! Lord God Almighty”
GOD RENEWS US IN HIS GRACE
Baptism of Emily Grace Kats
Baptism Hymn: #571:1-3 “Jesus Loves Me, This I Know”
God’s Will for Our Lives
Hymn of Commitment: SW#42:1,2 “Cry of My Heart”
GOD HEARS OUR PRAYERS AND RECEIVES OUR GIFTS
Offering: 1. Hull Food Pantry; 2. Family Crisis Center
Piano Offertory by Berdena Bylsma: “I Will Pilot Thee” & “Take Time to be Holy”
GOD SPEAKS TO US THROUGH HIS WORD
*Song of Preparation: SW#28:1-3 “As the Deer”
Prayer of Illumination
God’s Word Read: 2 Kings 5:19b-27
God’s Word Proclaimed: “Gehazi Becomes Leprous”
Prayer of Application
*Song of Response: #342:1-3 “Rock of Ages” (Celebration Hymnal)
GOD SEND US OUT TO DO HIS WILL
*Parting Song: #320:1,2 “Lord, Dismiss Us with your Blessing”
*indicates congregation stand
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE:
GREETERS TODAY: Randy & Mindy Winterfeld, Deacon Noah & Susan De Yager
GREETERS NEXT SUNDAY: Lynn & Linda Anderson, Deacon Justin & Cindy Te Slaa
NURSERY SUNDAY: AM Sandy Westra, Michelle Zomermaand, Talan De Yager, Maeva Haveman, Ashlyn Grevengoed; PM Tom Sheffield Family
NURSERY NEXT SUNDAY: AM Bethany Bosma, Janice Driesen, Jesse Ney, Aubri Fedders, Emily Fedders; PM Evan Schroeder
USHERS FOR SEPT.: Ted Salazar, Dan Fedders, Alex Westra, Travis Grevengoed
VALET PARKING FOR AUG.: 26: Logan Baccam, Justin Pollema; Sept. 2. Curtis Van Grouw, Justin Pollema; Sept. 9: Jacob Westra, Mitchell Winterfeld; Sept. 16: Cory De Wit, Jason Kats
OFFERINGS: Today – Envelope receipts are for the church budget or for the cause(s) designated on your envelope. The loose offering is for 1. Hull Food Pantry; 2. Family Crisis Center
OFFERING NEXT WEEK: 1. Building Fund; 2. Bethany Christian Services
COFFEE SERVERS TODAY: Ken & Peg Visser
COFFEE SERVERS NEXT WEEK: Darren & Darla Van’t Hul
POWER POINT TODAY: AM Arlene; PM Jason/Julie
POWER POINT NEXT WEEK: Kirk
SOUND SYSTEM TODAY: Joel
SOUND SYSTEM NEXT SUNDAY: Ben
CORRESPONDENCE: Dave Rozeboom to Justin Van Zee; Ted Salazar to Steve & Tara Dekkers; Mark Sandbulte to Kevin Schutte; Liz Schmith to Lauren Runia; Glen Scholten to Sos & Kara Maletoungou (For those wishing to send an email, addresses are in the directory, first page, under “Missionaries Supported”.)
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
9:30 AM Worship Service
10:45 AM Coffee fellowship in the basement
6:00 PM Evening Service
7:00 PM Music & Worship Committee Meeting
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
August 26, 2018
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL and a special extension of friendship to our visitors. May all who gather here experience “the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding” (Phil. 4:7 ESV). A nursery and quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
THIS MORNING we will witness the baptism of Emily Grace Kats, infant daughter of Brad & Lisa.
THIS EVENING we welcome Barry Miedema as he leads our worship service.
BAPTISM: Next Sunday morning Chris & Ashley will present their daughter, Adley Rae, for baptism.
LADIES & MEN who would like to help out at JFA on Tuesday, Aug. 28, should meet in the upper parking lot at 12:45p to car pool.
HOPE HAVEN will be doing a mailing on Thursday, August 30, at 8:00a. Meet at church at 7:45a to car pool.
CHURCH PICNIC is Wed., Sept. 5, at 6:30p at Westside Park. Hamburgers, hot dogs, buns, dessert, paper products, and drink provided. Please bring a side to share. Games will be provided by the YPS. If you know of someone new to the community feel free to invite them. Please sign up today if you haven’t done so!
USHERS: Starting in October, we will be scheduling men to usher for 1 month instead of for 2 months. If you have not been on the schedule and are willing to volunteer your service as an usher, please contact Karen at 439-1626. VALET PARKING: Our church is offering valet parking year round. We are trying to schedule people for 1 week at a time rather than for a whole month. We will not schedule high school students during Sunday School, so would like to have volunteers. If you are willing to do valet parking, please contact Karen (439-1626). Sean Baccam will talk to any volunteers to explain what is being done.
NOTICE: Our church is responsible for the service at the Gospel Mission on Wed., August 29th.
BIBLE LEAGUE VOLUNTEERS: Tickets are still available for the Sept. 11 special event! Sign up today to enjoy a day of fellowship with special guests, including world renowned speaker and author, Liz Curtis Higgs. Register on line at www.bibleleague.org/retreat18, or by calling 605-376-1316.
THANK YOU for your partnership in sharing God’s love with others in need of housing. Thank you for sharing your gifts and helping us extend a hand up to families in need. We look forward to what God will do as many people come together to build the house in Hull. May He be glorified in everything! Siouxland Habitat
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Congratulations to Devin and Kate Bonestroo on the birth of a son, Kovey Jay, born very early Monday morning.
- Congratulations to Zach and Ashley (Fuerstenberg) Van’t Hul who were united in marriage on Saturday, August 25. May God bless them with many happy healthy years together.
- We extend our Christian sympathy to Travis & Megan Kooima, and all who mourn, in the passing of their niece, Jemma De Jong, on Tuesday.
- Pray for Jodi Pollema, wife of Carter, as she continues to recover from surgery.
- The plan for Matt De Wild is to be totally weaned off the ventilator by today. Rehab has begun and will increase in intensity this coming week. Pray for recovery and rest. Pray for wisdom for the future.
- Heath Stoker’s stem cell transplant has been postponed until further testing and scans are complete. Please pray for Heath & Kayla as they wait for answers and direction for treatment.
- Lisa Wiersma began a second round of chemo on August 14. Pray for minimal side effects from the second round of treatment.
- Continue to remember Marcy Stellinga as she recovers from surgery.
- Give thanks for healing that Donna Rens is experiencing since her knee replacement surgery. She appreciates your prayers and concern.
- Pray for our shut ins: Pleasant Acres: Sally De Groot, Florence Kroese; Aspen Heights: Joyce De Vries, Julianne Kats, Chuck & Darlene Kroese, Goldie Veldman; Fieldcrest in Sheldon: Verne Huisman, Esther Rozeboom: in her son’s home; Good Samaritan Society in George: Wilma Altena; Ardelle Westra: Sioux City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- We mourn with Todd & Sarah De Jong and Dave & Diana Kooima and their families as they remember their infant daughter, granddaughter, sister, and niece, Jemma Jean De Jong, who passed away Tuesday, August 21. The funeral was held yesterday. We pray for God’s continued comfort and care as they remember Jemma. May God also give them hope as we remember the promises of Jesus.
- Wilma Heynen received news this week that her current cancer treatment has not been as effective as desired. She is preparing for new treatment in the next few weeks which will include different medication as well as radiation. We pray for God’s encouragement and healing mercies.
- Vanessa Steiger continues to make progress after her recent gallbladder surgery. We pray that she is able to manage her pain and make progress day by day.
- Jan Van Soelen, Glen Kooiker, and Sandy Nielsen continue their recoveries from their joint replacement surgeries. We pray for their continued recovery.
- Cruise De Groot continues his deployment to the Middle East. Cruise’s parents will provide his address if you’d like to send him a note. You may also message him through Facebook. Please pray for his safety and encouragement.
- We remember our members who reside in care facilities: Marv Boon at Prairie Ridge Care Center in Orange City, and Evelyn Dykstra in Byron Center Manor in Byron Center, MI. We also pray for their families as they support them.
HCS Rally Day Sale & Supper will be Sat., Sept. 22. If anyone has an item to donate, please contact the school office at 439-2273 or contact a Board Member. Your donations and support are what make this fundraiser a success. More details of the supper and sale will be coming closer to the event. Come join us for a night of fun and fellowship in support of HCS!
BARNABAS: Jim Prichard, a Christian attorney, from Barnabas, will be meeting with Christian families in the area August 29&30. Jim will be happy to provide easy-to-understand will planning information. If you would like to meet with Jim, please contact Ann Zacek at 888-448-3040 (ext. 121) to schedule a complimentary appointment.
MOPS: Are you an expectant mother or the mother of a child/children up to 5 years old? Then Mother of PreSchoolers welcomes you! Come join the Sioux Center MOPS group where you’ll find spiritual encouragement, friendship and lots of coffee as well as childcare. Drive-through registration is Aug. 30th 10a-12p at First RCA in Sioux Center. For more details find us on Facebook: @SiouxCenterMOPS
SIOUX CENTER MOPS is looking for childcare providers for the 2018-19 season. Contact Vanessa Steiger (712)463-2004 or email@example.com if you are willing to help (background check required). Meetings are the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month and we would appreciate the hours of 8:45-11:15a. Ages range from newborn to preschool, and a small group of older home school kids. MOPS runs from September -May.
MEMORY LOSS SUPPORT GROUP will meet on August 30th at 7:00p at Sanford Sheldon Senior Care. The program will be sharing. For more information, call 712-324-6467 or 712-324-6470.
LOVE INC’S Love & Learn class registration is coming up on Sept. 4! If you would like to register/volunteer for Faith & Finances or Grief Share please call the Love INC office at 476-5990. Our food pantry is also in need of personal hygiene items! If you are willing and able to donate any items such as shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, etc. please drop them off at Pioneer Methodist Church in Rock Valley.
JFA Annual Fall Auction & Picnic is Thurs., Sept. 6, at the JFA Ministry Center. We are planning a great evening of fun for the whole family! There will be a live and on-line Auction and meal.
NISO AUDITIONS: Auditions for membership in the Northwest Iowa Symphony Orchestra will be held on Friday, September 7 (Winds & Percussion) and Saturday, September 8 (Strings). Anyone wishing to play in the orchestra for the first time must audition, and all student members need to re-audition each year. For more information or to schedule an audition, contact the NISO office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 722-6230.
SAVE THE DATE! You are invited to Orange city for a time of refreshment, growth and encouragement as we gather for a Women’s Conference and Men’s Breakfast in November! Our speakers will be Valerie Elliot Shepard and her husband Rev. Walt Shepard. They will also be speaking together the night before, which will be an event for the whole family. We will be reminded of who we are in Christ and how we are to be a light for Him, no matter our age or where we live. Mark your calendars for Friday, Nov. 2 7:00-8:30p (FREE) at the Unity Christian Knight Center. Saturday, Nov. 3 Men’s Breakfast: 9:00-10:30 ($5) (Location TBA); Women’s Conference (with lunch): 9:00-2:00 ($10) Unity Christian Knight Center. Registration will open Sept. 1.