December 16, 2018
MORNING WORSHIP SERVICE AT 9:30 A.M. –December 16, 2018
Rev. Loren Kotman.…Minister Third Sunday in Advent
Preparation for worship: “But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children
of God.” John 1:12 (ESV)
WE ARE GATHERED AND GREETED BY GOD
*Call to Worship
*Opening Song: # 340:1,3 “O Come, All Ye Faithful”
*God’s Greeting & Mutual Greeting
Lighting of the Advent Candle:
Advent Reading & Lighting of the Candle: Konner Struik, Ethan Ney, Lane Driesen
Advent Hymn: “Shine on Us” (words/music on ppt)
WE CONFESS OUR SINS AND GOD PARDONS US
God’s Will for Our Lives
Call to Confession
Prayer of Confession
Assurance of Pardon
Song: #345:1-3 “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing”
Prayers of God’s People
Offering: Love, INC
Piano Offertory by Sherry De Wit & Melissa Boer: “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen”
WE HEAR GOD’S WORD
*Song of Preparation #348:1-3 “Away in a Manger”
Prayer of Illumination
God’s Word Read: Luke 2:4-7; Isaiah 9:6
God’s Word Proclaimed: “What’s in a Name? Child”
Prayer of Application
*Song of Response: #353:1,2 “Infant Holy, Infant Lowly”
WE GO OUT TO SHINE HIS LIGHT
*Parting Song: #337:2,4 “Joy to the World! The Lord Is Come”
*indicates congregation stand
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE:
GREETERS TODAY: Dwayne & Dori De Jong, Deacon Noah & Susan De Yager
GREETERS NEXT SUNDAY: Walt & Lavonne den Hoed, Elder Dan & Kathy De Wit
NURSERY SUNDAY: AM Sarah Grevengoed, Julie Leusink, Ashley Fedders, Ashlyn Grevengoed, Aimee Vanden Bosch; PM Noah De Yager Family
NURSERY NEXT SUNDAY: AM Koni Leusink, Kathy Mouw, Haley Wielenga, Riley Grevengoed, Mitchell Winterfeld; PM Troy Bruxvoort Family
USHERS FOR DEC .: Jay De Wit, John Emerick, Eric Rens, Justin Pollema
VALET PARKING DEC.: Dec. 16: Andrew Hoekstra, Lynn Anderson; Dec. 23: Ryan Kroese, Colin Westra; Dec. 25: Ross Te Slaa, Grant Vanden Bosch; Dec. 30: Ben Vant Hul, Scott Kroese
OFFERINGS: Today – Envelope receipts are for the church budget or for the cause(s) designated on your envelope. The loose offering is for Love, INC.
OFFERING NEXT WEEK: Christian Ed. Fund
COFFEE SERVERS TODAY: Matt & Bethany B. NEXT WEEK: Arch & Val Brummel
POWER POINT TODAY: AM Arlene; PM Jason NEXT WEEK: Julie
SOUND SYSTEM TODAY: Rick NEXT SUNDAY: Joel
CORRESPONDENCE: Randy Feenstra to Justin Van Zee; Cliff Gort to Steve & Tara Dekkers; Howard Grevengoed to Kevin Schutte; Wilma Grevengoed to Lauren Runia; Mike Grevegoed to Michael Ribbens; Scott Grevengoed to Sos & Kara Maletoungou (For those wishing to send an email, addresses are in the directory, first page, under “Missionaries Supported”.)
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
9:30 AM Worship Service
10:45 AM Coffee fellowship in the basement
10:45 AM Adult Sunday School
10:45 AM Choir Rehearsal (Sanctuary)
6:00 PM Evening Service
7:15 PM College/Career Bible Study
9:55 AM Coffee Break at Hope CRC. Lesson 5 Mark
7:00 PM Men’s Society. Lesson 5.
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
Dec. 16, 2018
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL Welcome to worship this third week of Advent. May the Holy Spirit bless and strengthen you today. A nursery and quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
TO MINIMIZE the spreading of germs during this cold and flu season, we will cease shaking hands until the middle of March. Elders & Pastor will greet you after the service today, but not shake your hand. Greeters will be available prior to the service, but also will not shake your hand.
PARENTS: We will be having the 1st through 6th graders sing with the choir on Christmas day. We will be rehearsing with them this morning right after the AM service in the front of the sanctuary and again next Sunday morning, December 23. They will be singing the first two verses of Angels We Have Heard on High.
SUNDAY SCHOOL/CATECHISM classes will NOT meet again until January 6.
CONGRATULATIONS to Charles & Darlene Kroese who are celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary today.
PLEASE NOTE SERVICE TIMES: Today our second service will be at 6:00p. Our second service on Dec. 23 and December 30 will be at 3:00p.
THE “SHARE GROUP” for widows/widowers will meet on Thursday, Dec. 20, at noon at Homestead Commons. We will enjoy Pizza Ranch and a side salad for lunch. You are invited to bring your favorite Christmas dessert to share. We also ask that you bring $5 to help offset the cost of ordering pizza. Following our meal, we will sing a few Christmas carols to get us in the holiday spirit. Call Deanna (439-2229) with questions.
LADIES interested in embroidering dish towels for the Christian Ed Sale contact Janice Driesen (578-9083).
STUDENTS preparing for ministry in the Christian Reformed Church from Classis Heartland may apply for aid to assist them in their study for the 2019-2020 academic years by contacting Rev. Loren Kotman, 1111 5th Street, Hull, IA 51239; (712) 439-1123; . The deadline is February 1, 2019.
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Hilary Van Hill had outpatient surgery on Thursday to determine the cause of pain in her stomach. Pray for better health.
- Give thanks that Duane Vande Griend is improving from his pneumonia. Pray for him as he continues with treatment. Pray for his father, Ed Vande Griend, a former member of this church, as he receives physical therapy and settles into a nursing home in Garretson, South Dakota.
- Continue to remember Lisa Wiersma in your prayers. Pray that the blood clot with shrink. She will begin radiation in early January.
- Heath Stoker will undergo follow up testing tomorrow, December 17, in Sioux Falls, to evaluate the success of his Stem Cell Transplant. Please pray specifically for peace of the upcoming tests and continued health, as Heath now starts to rebuild his immune system.
- Matt De Wild was in the hospital from Sunday through Wednesday with a UTI. The plan is for Matt and LuAnn to return home today, the 16th. Remember them and their needs in your prayers.
- Continue to remember Esther Rozeboom in your prayers as she has a lot of pain due to a compression fracture in her back which cannot be treated with medication or surgery. Pray for relief from the pain and for healing. She appreciates phone calls and visits.
- Pray for our shut ins: PA: Chuck & Darlene Kroese, Sally De Groot, Florence Kroese; Aspen Heights: Joyce De Vries, Julianne Kats, Harry Klay, Goldie Veldman; Fieldcrest in Sheldon: Verne Huisman, Esther Rozeboom: in her son’s home; Good Samaritan Society in George: Wilma Altena; Ardelle Westra: S. City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Piper De Kam, infant daughter of Matt and Cacey De Kam, was hospitalized earlier this week for RSV. We pray for healing for Piper and for Matt and Cacey as they care for their daughter.
- We pray for the continued recovery of those who recently have had surgery or have been hospitalized.
- Cruise De Groot continues his deployment to the Middle East. Cruise’s address has changed, and his parents will provide his address if you’d like to send him a note. You may also message him through Facebook. Please pray for his safety and encouragement.
- We remember our members who reside in care facilities: Marv Boon at Prairie Ridge Care Center in Orange City and Evelyn Dykstra in Byron Center Manor in Byron Center, MI. We also remember those who reside at home but aren’t able to join us from week to week. We also pray for their families as they support them.
THE “NAMI” Iowa Family-to-Family Education Program for family members of persons with mental illness will be offered at Central Reformed Church from 7:00-9:30p on Thursday evenings for 11 weeks beginning January 10, 2019. The course is FREE and will be taught by trained family member volunteer leaders, Barb Addink (712-567-4727), Shirley Matheis (722-4462 or ) and Lynn Wielenga (722-1828). Please register today.
SIOUX COUNTY ORATORIO CHORUS: Bring a friend! All are invited to sing with the Sioux County Oratorio Chorus as we return to perennial favorite Handel’s Messiah, for our upcoming season! Weekly rehearsals begin Tuesday, January 15, 7:30-9:30p in Dordt College’s choral rehearsal room. The performance with orchestra, Dordt and NWC choirs, and professional soloists will be in the BJ Haan Auditorium on Saturday, April 27. For more information, find us on Facebook or email Mike Ochsner at .
CORNERSTONE PRISON CHURCH Faith Fellowship Weekend is Friday, Jan. 25 – 6:00-8:00p and Jan. 26&27 7:15a-4:00p each day. The theme for the weekend is “Year of Reconciliation” based on 2 Chronicles 7:14. Join us for worship, large group talks and small group discussions. The deadline for signing up is Monday, Jan. 7. We would be happy to have you join us for part of the weekend or all of it. If you would like more information or would like to sign up, contact us at or call 507-215-3670. Thank you for considering this wonderful ministry opportunity!
HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS: Crossroads Teens Encounter Christ (TEC) is accepting applications for Friday, Feb. 15-Sunday, Feb. 17, 2019 at the Reformed Church in Steen, MN. TEC is an interdenominational 3 day Christian retreat/lock in designed to help high schoolers learn more about their faith and their community. If you would like to learn more or to register, please visit or email . The cost is $50 and includes a t-shirt, meals and other special gifts. Scholarships are available upon request. Crossroads TEC is also looking for adults with a passion for ministering to teens to help make the weekend a success.
JFA MINISTRY DATES: Jan. 18-26 Harvest Hands Ministries, Juarez, MX (must have a passport); Feb. 9-16 JVM Perkins, Jackson, MS; Feb. 17-23 Voice of Calvary, Jackson, MS; March 16-23 Grace Reigns, Colorado City, UT. Call Luke Grooters at JFA 476-2804 or email for more information. JFA would love to have you join one of their teams.