December 23, 2018
MORNING WORSHIP SERVICE AT 9:30 A.M. –December 23, 2018
Rev. Loren Kotman.…Minister Fourth Sunday in Advent
Preparation for worship: “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And
he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David’s throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this. (Isa. 9:6-7)
WE GATHER IN THE PRESENCE OF GOD
*Call to Worship
*God’s Greeting & Mutual Greeting
*Opening Hymn: #347:1-3 “Angels We Have Heard on High”
Lighting of the Advent Candle:
Advent Reading & Lighting of the Candle: Sawyer Rozeboom, Ashten Winterfeld, Blaike Bonestroo
Advent Hymn: #354:1,2 “Angels from the Realms of Glory”
WE ARE RENEWED IN GOD’ GRACE
God’s Will for our Lives
Call to Confession
Prayer of Confession
Assurance of God’s Pardon
Hymn of Assurance: #344:1-4 “Silent Night! Holy Night!
Offering: Christian Ed. Fund
Piano Offertory by Sherry De Wit & Melissa Boer: “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen”
GOD SPEAKS THROUGH HIS WORD
*Song of Preparation: 354:4-5 “Angels from the Realms of Glory”
Prayer of Illumination
God’s Word Read: Matthew 2:1-12
God’s Word Proclaimed: What’s in a Name? “King”
Prayer of Application
WE GO OUT TO WALK WITH GOD
*Song of Response: #340:1-4 “O Come, All Ye Faithful” (vs. 4 in unison)
*Parting Hymn: #345:1-3 “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing”
*indicates congregation stand
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE:
GREETERS TODAY: Walt & Lavonne den Hoed, Elder Dan & Kathy De Wit
CHRISTMAS DAY: Jarvis & Shari De Wild, Deacon Justin & Cindy Te Slaa
GREETERS NEXT SUNDAY: Cory & Sherry De Wit, Elder Dave & Kay Kroese
NURSERY SUNDAY: AM Koni Leusink, Kathy Mouw, Haley Wielenga, Riley Grevengoed, Mitchell Winterfeld; PM Troy Bruxvoort Family
CHRISTMAS DAY: Kari Ney, Jaime Oostenink, Braden Baccam, Madison Emerick, Anna Zomermaand
NURSERY NEXT SUNDAY: AM Lisa Poppema, Jessica Pollema, Konner Struik, Aubri Fedders, Marcus Te Krony; PM Mitchell Byl Family
USHERS FOR DEC .: Jay De Wit, John Emerick, Eric Rens, Justin Pollema
VALET PARKING DEC.: Dec. 23: Ryan Kroese, Colin Westra; Dec. 25: Ross Te Slaa, Grant Vanden Bosch; Dec. 30: Ben Van’t Hul, Scott Kroese
OFFERINGS: Today – Envelope receipts are for the church budget or for the cause(s) designated on your envelope. The loose offering is for the Christian Ed. Fund
CHRISTMAS DAY: Atlas
OFFERING NEXT WEEK: 1. Center for Financial Education; 2. Village Northwest
COFFEE SERVERS TODAY: Arch & Val B. NEXT WEEK: Dennis & Linda B.
POWER POINT TODAY: Julie NEXT WEEK: Kirk
CHRISTMAS DAY: Set: Julie; Run: Tonya
SOUND SYSTEM TODAY: Joel NEXT SUNDAY: Rick
CORRESPONDENCE: Ed Haveman to Justin Van Zee; Eric Haveman to Steve & Tara Dekkers; George Heynen to Kevin Schutte; Larry Hoekstra to Lauren Runia; Gerald Jansen to Sos & Kara Maletoungou (For those wishing to send an email, addresses are in the directory, first page, under “Missionaries Supported”.)
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
9:30 AM Worship Service
10:45 AM Coffee fellowship in the basement
10:45 AM Choir Rehearsal
3:00 PM Afternoon Service
9:30 AM Christmas Day Worship Service
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
Dec. 23, 2018
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL It’s almost time! Kids are wound up, and adults are stressed. So I invite everyone to take a deep breath and find peace as we worship the coming Christ. A nursery and quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
TO MINIMIZE the spreading of germs during this cold and flu season, we will cease shaking hands until the middle of March. Elders & Pastor will greet you after the service today, but not shake your hand. Greeters will be available prior to the service, but also will not shake your hand.
PARENTS: We will be having the 1st through 6th graders sing with the choir on Christmas day. We will be rehearsing with them this morning right after the AM service in the front of the sanctuary. They will be singing the first two verses of Angels We Have Heard on High.
SUNDAY SCHOOL/CATECHISM classes will NOT meet again until January 6.
PLEASE NOTE: Today our second service will be at 3:00p. We will have a service of Lessons and Carols.
DAD’S BELGIUM WAFFLE BREAKFAST: Please come out on January 1st for the annual YPS Dad’s Belgium Waffle breakfast. We will be serving from 9 until 12. Come out and enjoy the delicious waffles with your favorite syrup flavors as well as the tasty sausages.
LADIES interested in embroidering dish towels for the Christian Ed Sale contact Janice Driesen (578-9083).
STUDENTS preparing for ministry in the Christian Reformed Church from Classis Heartland may apply for aid to assist them in their study for the 2019-2020 academic years by contacting Rev. Loren Kotman, 1111 5th Street, Hull, IA 51239; (712) 439-1123; . The deadline is February 1, 2019.
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- We extend our Christian sympathy to Dave & Kay Kroese, Eric & Bobbie Kroese and family, Scott Kroese, Alison Kroese, Belle & Ken Draayer and Gerald & Harriet Kroese in the passing of a father, grandfather, and brother, Hilmore Kroese, on Friday, December 7. May God comfort them in their sorrow.
- Congratulations to Jacob & Abby Koedam on the birth of a daughter, Raelyn Beth, born on Thursday, December 13.
- Congratulations to Cody & Shelby Kiers on the birth of a daughter, Abigail Rose, born on Wednesday, December 19
- Recent outpatient surgery for Hilary Van Hill revealed a flareup of acid reflex which is being treated with medication. Pray the medication will be effective in keeping things under control. Hilary also had a cyst removed. Give thanks that it was benign.
- Duane Vande Griend continues with cancer treatment. Pray for relief from the side effects from cancer meds. Pray for better health.
- Continue to remember Lisa Wiersma in your prayers. Pray that the blood clot with shrink. She will begin radiation in early January.
- Heath Stoker’s testing on Monday, December 17, went well, but the complete panel of results won’t be available until after the first of the year. Please pray for peace as they wait on the results and as Heath’s immune system rebuilds.
- Give thanks that Matt & LuAnn De Wild returned home from Denver last Sunday and things are going well. Remember them in your prayers as they adjust to a new normal and as plans are made to better accommodate Matt’s needs.
- Give thanks that Esther Rozeboom has experienced some relief from the pain. Pray for continued healing. She appreciates phone calls and visits.
- Pray for our shut ins: PA: Chuck & Darlene Kroese, Sally De Groot, Florence Kroese; Aspen Heights: Joyce De Vries, Julianne Kats, Harry Klay, Goldie Veldman; Fieldcrest in Sheldon: Verne Huisman, Esther Rozeboom: in her son’s home; Good Samaritan Society in George: Wilma Altena; Ardelle Westra: S. City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Kristi Ten Pas submitted to surgery this past Monday to remove a growth on her thyroid. We give thanks that the surgery went well. Initial reports from the tests were good, but they are still waiting for final results. Please pray for Kristi’s complete healing and recovery.
- Cody Bauer is dealing with some infection related to his recent back surgery. We pray for his relief and healing.
- We pray for the continued recovery of those who recently have had surgery or have been hospitalized.
- Cruise De Groot continues his deployment to the Middle East. Cruise’s address has changed, and his parents will provide his address if you’d like to send him a note. You may also message him through Facebook. Please pray for his safety and encouragement.
- We remember our members who reside in care facilities: Marv Boon at Prairie Ridge Care Center in Orange City and Evelyn Dykstra in Byron Center Manor in Byron Center, MI. We also remember those who reside at home but aren’t able to join us from week to week. We also pray for their families as they support them.
THE “NAMI” Iowa Family-to-Family Education Program for family members of persons with mental illness will be offered at Central Reformed Church from 7:00-9:30p on Thursday evenings for 11 weeks beginning January 10, 2019. The course is FREE and will be taught by trained family member volunteer leaders, Barb Addink (712-567-4727), Shirley Matheis (722-4462 or ) and Lynn Wielenga (722-1828).
SIOUX COUNTY ORATORIO CHORUS: Bring a friend! All are invited to sing with the Sioux County Oratorio Chorus as we return to perennial favorite Handel’s Messiah, for our upcoming season! Weekly rehearsals begin Tuesday, January 15, 7:30-9:30p in Dordt College’s choral rehearsal room. The performance with orchestra, Dordt and NWC choirs, and professional soloists will be in the BJ Haan Auditorium on Saturday, April 27. For more information, find us on Facebook or email Mike Ochsner at .
CORNERSTONE PRISON CHURCH Faith Fellowship Weekend is Friday, Jan. 25 – 6:00-8:00p and Jan. 26&27 7:15a-4:00p each day. The theme for the weekend is “Year of Reconciliation” based on 2 Chronicles 7:14. Join us for worship, large group talks and small group discussions. The deadline for signing up is Monday, Jan. 7. We would be happy to have you join us for part of the weekend or all of it. If you would like more information or would like to sign up, contact us at or call 507-215-3670. Thank you for considering this wonderful ministry opportunity!
HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS: Crossroads Teens Encounter Christ (TEC) is accepting applications for Friday, Feb. 15-Sunday, Feb. 17, 2019 at the Reformed Church in Steen, MN. TEC is an interdenominational 3 day Christian retreat/lock in designed to help high schoolers learn more about their faith and their community. If you would like to learn more or to register, please visit or email . The cost is $50 and includes a t-shirt, meals and other special gifts. Scholarships are available upon request. Crossroads TEC is also looking for adults with a passion for ministering to teens to help make the weekend a success.
JFA MINISTRY DATES: Jan. 18-26 Harvest Hands Ministries, Juarez, MX (must have a passport); Feb. 9-16 JVM Perkins, Jackson, MS; Feb. 17-23 Voice of Calvary, Jackson, MS; March 16-23 Grace Reigns, Colorado City, UT. Call Luke Grooters at JFA 476-2804 or email for more information. JFA would love to have you join one of their teams.