December 30, 2018
MORNING WORSHIP SERVICE AT 9:30 A.M. –December 30, 2018
Rev. Loren Kotman.…Minister
Preparation for worship: Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” John 4:13-14
WE HUMBLE OURSELVES TO WORSHIP THE LORD
*Call to Worship
*Opening Song: #328:1,5,6 “O Come, O Come, Immanuel”
*God’s Greeting & Mutual Greeting
WE SEEK FORGIVENESS FROM THE LORD
God’s Will for Our Lives
Call to Confession
Song of Confession: #263:1-4 “Just as I Am, without One Plea”
Assurance of Pardon
Song of Assurance: #488:1-3 “I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say”
Offering/Offertory: 1. Center for Financial Education; 2. Village Northwest
WE HEAR THE WORD OF THE LORD
*Song of Preparation: #357:1,2 “How Bright Appears the Morning Star”
Prayer of Illumination
God’s Word Read: Revelation 22:12-21
God’s Word Proclaimed: What’s in a Name? “Bright Morning Star”
Prayer of Application
*Song of Response: #368:1-3 “O Son of God the Father” (use tune #555)
WE DEPART TO SERVE
*Parting Song: #357:3 “How Bright Appears the Morning Star”
*indicates congregation stand
organist…Connie Te Krony
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE:
GREETERS TODAY: Dan & Dana Fedders, Elder Dave & Kay Kroese
GREETERS NEXT SUNDAY: Jay & Donna De Wit, Deacon Terry & DeeAnn Jansma
NURSERY SUNDAY: AM Jana Rens, Bobbie Kroese, Jesse Ney, Traylie Vander Schaaf, Emma Westphal; PM Rick De Groot Family
NURSERY NEXT SUNDAY: AM Cheryl Kats, Mary Leusink, Addison Rozeboom, Blaike Bonestroo, Logan Bacaam; PM Cory & Sherry De Wit
USHERS FOR JAN .: Curtis Van Grouw, Evan Wielenga, Mitchell Byl, Tim Kats
VALET PARKING JAN.: Jan. 6: Bryce Veldman, Zach Mouw; Jan. 13; Lynn Anderson, Alex Westra; Jan. 20: Kyle Pollema, Zachary De Jager; Jan. 27: Justin Pollema, David Te Krony
OFFERINGS: Today – Envelope receipts are for the church budget or for the cause(s) designated on your envelope. The loose offering is for 1. Center for Financial Education; 2. Village Northwest
OFFERING NEXT WEEK: 1. Building Fund; 2. Benevolence
COFFEE SERVERS TODAY: Dennis & Linda B. NEXT WEEK: Bennett & Karen B.
POWER POINT TODAY: Kirk
SOUND SYSTEM TODAY: Cody NEXT SUNDAY: Ben
CORRESPONDENCE: Brad Kats to Justin Van Zee; Henry Kats to Steve & Tara Dekkers; Tim Kats to Kevin Schutte; Jim Keizer to Lauren Runia; Cliff Koele to Sos & Kara Maletoungou (For those wishing to send an email, addresses are in the directory, first page, under “Missionaries Supported”.)
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
9:30 AM Worship Service
10:45 AM Coffee fellowship in the basement
3:00 PM Afternoon Worship Service
9a-12 noon YPS Belgium Waffle Breakfast
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
Dec. 30, 2018
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL “Praise the LORD, young men and women, old people and children” Welcome! A nursery and quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
TO MINIMIZE the spreading of germs during this cold and flu season, we will cease shaking hands until the middle of March. Elders & Pastor will greet you after the service today, but not shake your hand. Greeters will be available prior to the service, but also will not shake your hand.
NO CHILDREN’S CHURCH this afternoon.
SUNDAY SCHOOL/CATECHISM classes will meet again next Sunday, January 6.
PLEASE NOTE: Today our second service today will be at 3:00p. Pastor’s message is from Psalm 39 titled “The Shortness of Life”.
DAD’S BELGIUM WAFFLE BREAKFAST: Please come out on January 1st for the annual YPS Dad’s Belgium Waffle breakfast. We will be serving from 9 until 12. Come out and enjoy the delicious waffles with your favorite syrup flavors as well as the tasty sausages.
NEXT SUNDAY EVENING Rev. Michael Ribbens, missionary in South Africa, will be leading our worship service. There will be a time of coffee and fellowship after the service.
HULL COMMUNITY BLOOD DRIVE will be held on Tues., Jan. 15, from 12:00-6:00 PM at the Hull Library. To make an appointment, contact LifeServe Blood Center at 800-287-4903 or visit .
STUDENTS preparing for ministry in the Christian Reformed Church from Classis Heartland may apply for aid to assist them in their study for the 2019-2020 academic years by contacting Rev. Loren Kotman, 1111 5th Street, Hull, IA 51239; (712) 439-1123; . The deadline is February 1, 2019.
THANK YOU for walking with our family through this difficult journey. We have been overwhelmed by the love and support. We are grateful for your visits, phone calls, food, plants, memorial gifts, cards and words of encouragement and most importantly your prayers to our faithful Father who has welcomed Dad Kroese home and continues to walk with us. -The Kroeses (Dave & Kay, Eric & Bobbie & family, Scott, Alison)
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Russ Vander Schaaf was recently diagnosed with cancer in his hip bone. Pray for wisdom for the doctors and God’s healing mercies for Russ.
- Duane Vande Griend continues with cancer treatment. Pray for relief from the side effects from cancer meds. Pray for better health. Duane expresses his thanks to whoever (?) did his driveway recently.
- Continue to remember Lisa Wiersma in your prayers. Pray that the blood clot with shrink. She will begin radiation in early January.
- Please remember Heath & Kayla Stoker as they anticipate receiving test results this week to determine the success of his Stem Cell Transplant. Also, they will celebrate Heath’s birthday on Friday, January 4th!
- Remember Matt and LuAnn De Wild in your prayers as they adjust to a new normal and as plans are made to better accommodate Matt’s needs.
- Give thanks that Esther Rozeboom is experiencing relief from the pain. Pray for continued healing. She appreciates phone calls and visits.
- Remember Belle Draayer in your prayers as it concerns her ongoing challenges in life.
- Pray for our shut ins: PA: Chuck & Darlene Kroese, Sally De Groot, Florence Kroese; Aspen Heights: Joyce De Vries, Julianne Kats, Harry Klay, Goldie Veldman; Fieldcrest in Sheldon: Verne Huisman, Esther Rozeboom: in her son’s home; Good Samaritan Society in George: Wilma Altena; Ardelle Westra: S. City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Please keep Joan Buyert in your prayers as she continues to recover from a recent fall.
- We pray for the continued recovery of those who recently have had surgery or have been hospitalized.
- Cruise De Groot continues his deployment to the Middle East. Cruise’s address has changed, and his parents will provide his address if you’d like to send him a note. You may also message him through Facebook. Please pray for his safety and encouragement.
- We remember our members who reside in care facilities: Marv Boon at Prairie Ridge Care Center in Orange City and Evelyn Dykstra in Byron Center Manor in Byron Center, MI. We also remember those who reside at home but aren’t able to join us from week to week. We also pray for their families as they support them.
THE “NAMI” SUPPORT GROUP will meet in the Fireside Room of Central Reformed Church in Sioux Center from 7-9p on Tuesday, January 8. Individuals and family members coping with mental illness are welcome. For information, call Shirley Matheis at 722-4462.
THE “NAMI” Iowa Family-to-Family Education Program for family members of persons with mental illness will be offered at Central Reformed Church from 7:00-9:30p on Thursday evenings for 11 weeks beginning January 10, 2019. The course is FREE and will be taught by trained family member volunteer leaders, Barb Addink (712-567-4727), Shirley Matheis (722-4462 or ) and Lynn Wielenga (722-1828).
SIOUX COUNTY ORATORIO CHORUS: Bring a friend! All are invited to sing with the Sioux County Oratorio Chorus as we return to perennial favorite Handel’s Messiah, for our upcoming season! Weekly rehearsals begin Tuesday, January 15, 7:30-9:30p in Dordt College’s choral rehearsal room. The performance with orchestra, Dordt and NWC choirs, and professional soloists will be in the BJ Haan Auditorium on Saturday, April 27. For more information, find us on Facebook or email Mike Ochsner at .
CORNERSTONE PRISON CHURCH Faith Fellowship Weekend is Friday, Jan. 25 – 6:00-8:00p and Jan. 26&27 7:15a-4:00p each day. The theme for the weekend is “Year of Reconciliation” based on 2 Chronicles 7:14. Join us for worship, large group talks and small group discussions. The deadline for signing up is Monday, Jan. 7. We would be happy to have you join us for part of the weekend or all of it. If you would like more information or would like to sign up, contact us at or call 507-215-3670. Thank you for considering this wonderful ministry opportunity!
HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS: Crossroads Teens Encounter Christ (TEC) is accepting applications for Friday, Feb. 15-Sunday, Feb. 17, 2019 at the Reformed Church in Steen, MN. TEC is an interdenominational 3 day Christian retreat/lock in designed to help high schoolers learn more about their faith and their community. If you would like to learn more or to register, please visit or email . The cost is $50 and includes a t-shirt, meals and other special gifts. Scholarships are available upon request. Crossroads TEC is also looking for adults with a passion for ministering to teens to help make the weekend a success.
JFA MINISTRY DATES: Jan. 18-26 Harvest Hands Ministries, Juarez, MX (must have a passport); Feb. 9-16 JVM Perkins, Jackson, MS; Feb. 17-23 Voice of Calvary, Jackson, MS; March 16-23 Grace Reigns, Colorado City, UT. Call Luke Grooters at JFA 476-2804 or email for more information. JFA would love to have you join one of their teams.