February 24, 2019
MORNING WORSHIP SERVICE AT 9:30 A.M. – February 24, 2019
Rev. Loren Kotman…Minister
Preparation for Worship: Ps. 103:8-9 The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever.
WE GATHER IN THE PRESENCE OF GOD
*Call to Worship
*God’s Greeting & We Greet Each Other
*Opening Song: #438:1-4 “When Morning Gilds the Sky”
WE ARE RENEWED IN GOD’S GRACE
The Law: Exodus 20
Call to Confession: Psalm 32:1-5
Pray of Confession
Assurance of God’s Pardon: Psalm 103:8-12
Hymn of Assurance: SW#72:1-4 “In Christ Alone”
Offering: 1. Christian Ed Fund; 2. Sioux Falls Gospel Mission
GOD SPEAKS THROUGH HIS WORD
*Hymn of Preparation: #755:1-3 “Speak, O Lord” (LUYH)
Prayer of Illumination
God’s Word Read: Hebrews 9:11-28 (text: 27-28) & Lord’s Day 4
God’s Word Proclaimed: “Our Three Appointments”
Prayer of Application
WE GO OUT TO WALK WITH GOD
*Song of Response: #370:1-4 “Day of Judgment! Day of Wonders!” (Blue Psalter)
*Parting Hymn: #620:3 “By the Sea of Crystal”
(please allow teachers/students to exit first)
* indicates congregation stand
organist…Connie Te Krony
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE:
GREETERS TODAY: Randy & Lynette Feenstra, Elder Ed & Noella Haveman
GREETERS NEXT SUNDAY: Cliff & Esther Gort, Deacon Eric & Alysia Haveman
NURSERY TODAY: AM Mindy Winterfeld, Shondra Wielenga, Talan De Yager, Lane Driesen, Haley Driesen; PM Eric Zomermaand Family
NURSERY NEXT SUNDAY: AM Brittany Veldman, Judi Wesselink, Savannah Feenstra, Kirsten Grevengoed, Faith Kleinwolterink; PM Evan Wielenga Family
USHERS FOR FEB: Grant Vanden Bosch, Travis Kooima, Brent De Jager, Andrew Hoekstra
VALET PARKING FOR FEB/MAR.: Feb. 24: Curtis Van Grouw & Ross Te Slaa; March 3: Lynn Anderson & Justin Pollema; March 10: David Te Krony & Cory De Wit
OFFERINGS: Today – Envelope receipts are for the church budget or for the cause(s) designated on your envelope. The loose offering is for 1. Christian Ed Fund; 2. Sioux Falls Gospel Mission
NEXT SUNDAY: 1. Building Fund; 2. Justice for All
COFFEE SERVERS TODAY: Dan & Kathy De Wit NEXT SUNDAY: Jay & Donna De Wit
POWER POINT TODAY: Kirk
SOUND SYSTEM TODAY: Joel NEXT SUNDAY: Ben
CORRESPONDENCE: Ron Techen to Justin Van Zee; Rod Te Krony to Steve & Tara Dekkers; Dave Te Slaa to Michael Ribbons; Justin Te Slaa to Kevin Schutte; Kyle Te Slaa to Lauren Runia Roger Tiedeman to Sos & Kara Maletoungou (For those wishing to send an email, addresses are in the church directory, first page, under “Missionaries Supported”.)
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
9:30 AM Worship Service
10:45 AM Coffee fellowship in the basement
10:45 AM Sunday School/Catechism Classes
10:45 AM Choir Rehearsal
6:00 PM Evening Worship Service
7:30 PM Friendship Bible
9:55 AM Coffee Break at Hope CRC
5:30 PM GEMS/Cadets Dinner & Derby at HCS gym. Dinner will be served by the GEMS from 5:30-7:00p. The Pinewood Derby will begin at 7:00p. A freewill donation will be taken to help with Camp registrations for GEMS.
7:00 PM Mission Guild – Lesson 8. Opening Prayer: Peg V.; Closing Prayer: Lee O.
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
February 24, 2019
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL Welcome to First Church! May your soul be nourished, your faith be strengthened and your life be touched by God in a special way while you’re here. A nursery and quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
REMINDER: We have ceased all handshake greeting until the middle of March. Greeters will still be available prior to the service to welcome you and Elders will greet you after the service, but will NOT shake your hand.
THE FLOWERS in front of church are in honor of Theresa De Wit’s birthday, which is tomorrow. Happy 90th birthday from your family!
THIS EVENING Pastor Loren’s message is from Acts 15:36-16:15 titled “God at Work”.
CADETS: On Monday, Feb. 25, the shop at the Cadet building will be open from 6:30-7:30p for pre-weigh in of derby cars. If you don’t have access to a scale, feel free to come check the weight of the car on the scale that will be used for official weigh-in on Wednesday. Official registration of the cars will be Wednesday at the Hull Christian School Gym from 5:30-6:30p.
NEXT SUNDAY we will officially welcome Brett and Kaleigh Van Middendorp to our church. Brett will profess his faith in Jesus Christ in the morning service. Brett comes to us from Faith CRC in Sioux Center. Kaleigh comes to us from Christ Community Church in Sioux Center.
CLASSIS HEARTLAND will meet on Saturday at Hope CRC in Hull. Delegates from First CRC are Pastor Loren, Elder Ed Haveman and Deacon Dan Poppema.
ANNUAL DAY OF PRAYER SERVICE is scheduled for Wednesday, March 13, at Hope CRC at 7:00p.
MEMBERSHIP TRANSFERS: The communicant memberships of Cody & Kathy Bauer and their baptized children, Isabella, Connor, Kylee, and Zoey were transferred, at their request, to Hope CRC. The communicant membership of Cory Kats was transferred, at his request, to the First Reformed Church in Orange City. The communicant membership of Matt Dokter was transferred, at his request, to the First Reformed Church in Hull. We wish them God’s blessing in their new church homes.
YOU ARE INVITED: CORNERSTONE PRISON CHURCH, a CRC church located inside the walls of the South Dakota State Penitentiary in Sioux Falls, has invited Hull 1st CRC to worship with them at 6:00p on Friday, March 15. Contact Val Brummel at or 712-441-3008 for the DOC visitor forms. Final date to sign up is TODAY, February 24.
LADIES/MEN who would like to help at JFA on Tuesday, Feb. 26, should meet in the upper parking lot of church at 12:45p to car pool.
ELDER/DEACON REGIONAL TRAINING EVENT will be held on Wed., Feb. 27, from 7-9p at the Dordt Ag Stewardship Center on Highway 75. Anyone who is interested in learning more is invited to this leadership training event. We are planning to have a main session with all of the elders and deacons focusing on the principles of “Adoptive & Operational Leadership” in the church. There will also be two 50-minute breakout sessions. Deacons: “Their Church Leadership Role” lead by Andy Ryskamp, the director of the Diaconal Ministry Initiative of the CRCNA. Help for Elders: “Leadership Lessons & What Would You Like to Know?” lead by Pastor Dave Den Haan from CRCNA Pastor Church Resources. If you have any questions, please contact the Siouxland Deaconal Conference by email at or by phone at 712-441-1686.
EASTER CANTATA: “It Is Finished”. We are excited to once again be organizing this wonderful worship event for our Hull Community – Easter Sunday evening, April 21. Voices from Junior High & older are encouraged to be a part of this fantastic community choir!! Rehearsals will start Sunday, March 3, from 3:00-4:00p at Hope CRC. Contact Shelly Van Otterloo with questions (470-4937). Please consider raising your voice as we celebrate our Risen Savior this Easter!!
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Congratulations to Brody & Jessica Pollema on the birth of a daughter, Blakely Jo, on Friday, February 15, and to Ryan & Christine Kroese on the birth of a son, Hudson Lee, on Saturday, February 16. Hudson was admitted to Sanford Hospital in Sioux Falls on Saturday night with a fractured skull, bleeding on the brain and low oxygen. He was able to come home on Thursday.
- Gary & Susan Roetman are grateful for all the prayers on Gary’s behalf. Gary is now receiving Immune Therapy. Pray for good results.
- Wilmar Pollema continues with chemo treatment. Give thanks that the numbers for his multiple myeloma have gone down. Pray that continues.
- Russ Vander Schaaf remains at the VA Hospital in Sioux Falls. He is hoping to be released by the end of February/first of March. Pray for better health.
- Duane Vande Griend continues with cancer treatment. Give thanks that a recent PET SCAN showed the cancer treatment is being effective. Pray for continued good results.
- Tyler Vande Griend is at Keystone in Canton and will be for the next two weeks. His address is PO Box 159, Canton, SD 57013. How about remembering him with a card?
- Heath Stoker is doing okay, but is still lacking energy due to recovering from influenza and having a constant cold. He had a scheduled check up tomorrow in Sioux Falls. Please pray for increased energy as well as a good appointment with his doctor.
- Lisa Wiersma completed her cancer treatment recently. The plan was to remove the port on Friday. Give thanks for God’s healing.
- LeRoy Jongetjes was admitted to Avera McKennan Hospital on Thursday evening, February 14, and had surgery on Saturday morning, the 16th, on his right foot. He was scheduled for a procedure on Friday to increase blood flow in his leg and was hoping to get home by the weekend.
- We extend our Christian sympathy to Ken & Belle Draayer in the passing of their sister-in-law, Gertrude Draayer, on Tuesday.
- Pray for our shut ins: PA: Chuck & Darlene Kroese, Sally De Groot, Florence Kroese; Aspen Heights: Joyce De Vries, Julianne Kats, Harry Klay, Goldie Veldman; Fieldcrest in Sheldon: Verne Huisman, Esther Rozeboom: in her son’s home; Good Samaritan Society in George: Wilma Altena; Ardelle Westra: S. City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Please pray for Scott de Boom, Cal Van Der Zwaag, Craig Verhoef, and all the team members who will be traveling to Guatemala to serve with Paradise Bound Ministries. We pray for safety and for Good News of Jesus to be shared through their word and witness.
- We continue to pray for healing for those who are recovering from surgeries and procedures.
- Joan Buyert continues her recovery at Royale Meadows in Sioux Center. Please pray for her strength, wisdom and encouragement.
- Cruise De Groot continues his deployment to the Middle East. Please pray for his health, safety and encouragement.
- We remember Marv Boon at the Prairie Ridge Care Center in Orange City. We also remember those who reside at home but aren’t able to join us from week to week. We also pray for their families as they support them.
HCS is accepting applications for a middle school teacher. This individual will be responsible for teaching mostly language arts classes. The position can be either part-time or full-time. Applications can be found on our webpage () or by contacting school. Applicants should contact Mr. Ten Pas at (712) 439-2273 or e-mail with any questions.
Western needs volunteers this coming Thursday, Feb. 28, at 9:00a to assist in the first mailing for the 100th Anniversary celebration. Volunteers are needed to stuff envelopes, seal them, and label them. If you would have a few hours to help, please contact Linda Kroese at firstname.lastname@example.org or 439-2159.
MEMORY LOSS SUPPORT GROUP will meet on Thursday, February 28, at 7:00p at Sanford Sheldon Senior Care. The program will be “Music Can Enhance Your Life”. Please come with questions and ideas about this topic as well as ideas for future programs We want to encourage family and friends of people with dementia to attend. If you have any questions or need additional information or assistance, please feel fee to contact (712) 324-6467 or (712) 324-6470.
SIOUXLAND HABITAT FOR HUMANITY: Are you or someone you know in need of a safe, decent and affordable place to live? Siouxland Habitat for Humanity is accepting partner family applications for our homeownership program for a future home in Orange City. Application forms are available at the Orange City City Office, Orange City Library and online at . Completed applications are due by March 4. Questions, contact Kurt Franje, 712-476-2804.
BETHANY CHRISTIAN SERVICE ASK Banquet will be held on Tuesday, April 2, at Terrace View Event Center in Sioux Center. Social hour with coffee and punch starting at 6:00p followed by a complimentary meal served at 6:30p. RSVP for the meal by March 25 by calling the Bethany Christian Services office at 712-737-4831 or email: email@example.com.
CORNERSTONE PRISON CHURCH 13th Annual Benefit Banquet will be held on Monday, April 8, at Trinity CRC in Rock Valley at 6:30p. Doors open at 6:00p. Save your spot by March 31, by calling Trinity CRC at 476-5293 or go to www.cornerstonepcsd.org. A freewill offering will be taken as an opportunity to financially support Cornerstone’s ministry.