January 27, 2019
MORNING WORSHIP SERVICE AT 9:30 A.M. –January 27, 2019
Rev. Loren Kotman.….Minister Cadet Sunday
Preparation for worship: “And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.” 2 Corinthians 9:8
WE GATHER TO PRAISE GOD
*Responsive Call to Worship:
Pastor: Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ
People: who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing.
Pastor: For he chose us in him before the creation of the world
People: that we might be holy and blameless before God. (from Ephesians 1:3-4)
*God’s Greeting & Mutual Greeting
*Opening Song: #96:1,2,4 “Sing to the LORD, Sing His Praise”
Cadet Litany (on PPT)
Cadet Song: #292:1-3 “Living for Jesus” (vs. 1 & chorus, Cadets/Counselors; vs.2-3 everyone)
WE SEEK THE LORD
God’s Will for our Lives
Song of Commitment: SW#42:1,2 “Cry of My Heart”
Prayers of God’s People
Offering: 1. Christian Ed. Fund; 2. Cadets
WE LISTEN TO THE WORD OF GOD
*Song of Preparation: #545:1-3 “Make Me a Channel of Your Peace”
Prayer for Illumination
God’s Word Read: 2 Corinthians 9:1-15 (Text: vs. 8)
God’s Word Proclaimed: “Be a Blessing”
Prayer of Application
WE RESPOND TO GOD’S WORD
*Song of Response: #603:1-4 “Lord, Whose Love in Humble Service”
*Parting Song: SW#48:1,2 “Freely, Freely
(Please allow teachers/students to exit first)
* indicates congregation stand
organist…Connie Te Krony
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE:
GREETERS TODAY: AM Cadets; PM Cory & Sherry De Wit, Elder Larry & MaryLou Wielenga
GREETERS NEXT SUNDAY: AM YPS; PM Mark & Teresa Fedders, Deacon Dan Bonestroo
NURSERY TODAY: AM Stephanie Struik, Shirley Van Engen, Mya Kleinwolterink, Sawyer Rozeboom, Treyton Sandbulte; PM Darren Bonestroo Family
NURSERY NEXT SUNDAY: AM Betty Vande Griend, Emily Van Schepen, Kyrin De Groot, Dason Van’t Hul, Ashlyn Grevengoed; PM Sean Baccam Family
USHERS FOR FEB.: Grant Vanden Bosch, Travis Kooima, Brent De Jager, Andrew Hoekstra
THE YPS WILL USHER Feb. 3 in the AM only!
VALET PARKING FOR FEB: Feb. 3: Jason Kats & Eric Rens; Feb. 10: Jacob Westra & Tim Kats; Feb. 17: Sam Scholten & Ben Van’t Hul; Feb. 24: Curtis Van Grouw & Ross Te Slaa
OFFERINGS: Today – Envelope receipts are for the church budget or for the cause(s) designated on your envelope. The loose offering is for 1. Christian Ed. Fund; 2. Cadets
NEXT SUNDAY: 1. YPS; 2. Mission Fund
COFFEE SERVERS TODAY: Brent & Amy DJ NEXT SUNDAY: Walt & Lavonne den Hoed
POWER POINT TODAY: Kirk NEXT SUNDAY: Shirley
SOUND SYSTEM TODAY: Joel NEXT SUNDAY: Ben
CORRESPONDENCE: Jim Oostenink Justin Van Zee; Seth Oostenink to Steve & Tara Dekkers; Doug Pollema to Kevin Schutte; Brody Pollema to Michael Ribbons; Pete Pollema to Lauren Runia; Waylon Pollema to Sos & Kara Maletoungou (For those wishing to send an email, addresses are in the directory, first page, under “Missionaries Supported”.)
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
9:30 AM Worship Service
10:45 AM Coffee fellowship in the basement
10:45 AM Sunday School/Catechism
10:45 AM Choir Rehearsal
6:00 PM Evening Worship Service
7:00 PM Christian Fellowship. Session 3 “Help Is Here” Lunch: Jay & Marcy Stellinga
7:30 PM Friendship Bible
9:55 AM Coffee Break at Hope CRC.
5:30 PM Meet in the lower parking lot to car pool to the Gospel Mission in Sioux Falls
7:00 PM Mission Guild. Opening Prayer: Joyce VG; Closing Prayer: Marge VE
7:00 PM YPS “Movie Night”. Devotions: Emma W. & Braeden K.; Lunch: Amanda W. & Mitchell W. Meet at Sean & Steph’s house!
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
January 27, 2019
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL Jesus often gathered for worship with his disciples and others. Following his example, we gather now to grow in God and glorify his name. Welcome! A nursery and quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
REMINDER: We have ceased all handshake greeting until the middle of March. Greeters will still be available prior to the service to welcome you and Elders will greet you after the service, but will NOT shake your hand.
THIS MORNING is Cadet Sunday. We give thanks to God for the ministry of the Cadet Corps. Praise God for Cadet Counselors and Junior Counselors who serve their God and the Cadets in this ministry. Also, praise God for the Cadets themselves and ask God to use Cadeting in their training for future leadership and service in His Kingdom.
THE FLOWERS in front of church are in honor of Berdena Bylsma’s 90th birthday from her family.
THIS EVENING Pastor Loren’s message is from Acts 14:21-28 titled “Encouragement in Facing Hardship”.
GOSPEL MISSION: Our church is responsible for the service at the Gospel Mission on Wednesday, Jan. 30th. Care Groups 2&3 are in charge. We will leave from the lower parking lot at church at 5:30p to car pool. The service starts at 7:00p.
KIDS’ CLUB is off to an exciting start in 2019 and we need your help! We are looking for some food and paper donations so we can feed the children a snack when they arrive at Kids’ Club. We also need some miscellaneous supplies for crafts, games and fun! If you are willing to help us, please take a donation slip from the table and return the purchased item(s) to the box in the kitchen by Sunday, Feb. 3rd. Thank you so much for your support.
OFFERING AMOUNTS FOR DEC.:
General Fund: $56.000.00 Building Fund: $ 7,715.00 Mission Fund: $ 3,066.00 Atlas: $ 913.26
Benevolent: 1,625.00 World Renew: 4,784.36 Peter Fish: 732.87 CFE: 938.00
The Banquet: 468.62 Village NW: 482.00 Love, Inc. 996.00
Kingdom Boundary: 282.00
THANK YOU to all those who attended the Christian Ed Potato Bake Supper. Thank you also to all those who worked and/or brought food. Your support of this project was greatly appreciated! Just a reminder that if you have not brought in your $15.00 donation, you can still put it in Sarah (Travis) Grevengoed or Sandy Westra’s mailbox.
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- We extend our Christian sympathy to Mitch and Kelsey and Harper Byl, and to Daryl and Judi Wesselink in the loss of their precious daughter, sister, and granddaughter, Macy Joy. Macy passed away in her mother’s womb on Friday, January 18. May God comfort them in their loss.
- Remember Belle Draayer in her ongoing challenges in life.
- Wilmar Pollema continues with chemo treatment. Pray the chemo will be effective in reducing the numbers for his Multiple Myeloma.
- Russ Vander Schaaf had surgery at the VA Hospital on Friday, January 18, to clear up an infection. This past week he spent several days at Sanford for additional surgeries. As of this past Thursday, the plan was for him to return to the VA Hospital soon. Pray for better health and for encouragement.
- Duane Vande Griend continues with cancer treatment. Pray for relief from the side effects from cancer meds. Pray for better health and for a better appetite.
- Heath Stoker is doing well, but came down with a respiratory infection early last weekend. It was not influenza or pneumonia and he was able to rest at home and able to return to work on Wednesday. Please pray for complete healing and for his body to continue to build immunity.
- Continue to remember Lisa Wiersma in your prayers. Pray that the blood clot will shrink. She continues with six weeks of radiation (5 days a week) in Sioux Falls.
- Pray for our shut ins: PA: Chuck & Darlene Kroese, Sally De Groot, Florence Kroese; Aspen Heights: Joyce De Vries, Julianne Kats, Harry Klay, Goldie Veldman; Fieldcrest in Sheldon: Verne Huisman, Esther Rozeboom: in her son’s home; Good Samaritan Society in George: Wilma Altena; Ardelle Westra: S. City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- We give thanks with Glenn & Lisa Kooiker that Glenn’s sister, Luetta Hyronimus, was released from the hospital this week after experiencing bleeding in her brain that was related to another condition. We pray for continued recovery and give thanks to God for his healing mercies.
- Jan Van Soelen continues to deal with back pain that limits her ability to move around. Please pray for her relief, healing and encouragement. We pray for Marion as well, as he supports his wife.
- Joan Buyert has moved to Royale Meadows in Sioux Center. She hopes that she will be able to eventually be strong enough to return to her apartment in Hull. Please pray for her strength, wisdom, and encouragement.
- Cruise De Groot continues his deployment to the Middle East. Cruise’s address has changed, and his parents will provide his address if you’d like to send him a note. You may also message him through Facebook. Please pray for his safety and encouragement.
- We remember Marv Boon at the Prairie Ridge Care Center in Orange City. We also remember those who reside at home but aren’t able to join us from week to week. We also pray for their families as they support them.
HCS is accepting applications for a middle school teacher. This individual will be responsible for teaching mostly language arts classes. The position can be either part-time or full-time. Applications can be found on our webpage () or by contacting school. Applicants should contact Mr. Ten Pas at (712) 439-2273 or e-mail with any questions.
Little Blessings Pre-School Registration: HCS will be having an informational night and registration for Little Blessings Pre-School the evening of Feb. 21, from 6:30-7:30p. Mrs. Boer will be making a presentation at 7:00 regarding the daily activities of pre-school. You can pre-register using the form found on our webpage () under the heading Forms and Documents. This pre-registration form will be posted on February 20 at 6:00p. Please submit your pre-registration form through e-mail (), mail or by dropping it off at the school office. If you have any questions, please contact the school office.
MEMORY LOSS SUPPORT GROUP will meet on Thursday, January 31, at 7:00p at Sanford Sheldon Senior Care. The program will be “sharing”. Feel free to call (712) 324-6467 for additional information.
DORDT COLLEGE’S ANDREAS CENTER First Mondays Speaker Series will feature song and modern-day hymn writer, Sandra McCracken, on Mon., Feb. 4, in the Auditorium. 11a: A song writer’s Journey through the Psalms. 8:00p: Concert – Singing the Songs of Lament (free tickets via Eventbrite). More information at Andreas Center Facebook Page. Both events are free and open to the public (though RSVP is necessary for the concert).
LOVE INC OF SIOUX COUNTY is proud to present “Love and Laugh” on Sat., Feb. 9, at Trinity CRC in Rock Valley. Doors for the dinner theater style event will open at 5:00p followed by a catered meal at 5:30p and an improvisational comedy show by Slap Happy Comedy at 7. This Christian two-man duo brings a clean, high energy, hilarious, interactive comedy experience that will involve the entire audience and guarantees fun for the entire family. Tickets to this event are an ideal Valentine’s Day gift and can be purchased for $30 a piece or you may reserve a complete table of 8 by calling the Love INC office at 476-5990.
INSPIRATION HILLS: Summer Registration opens Feb. 1st. Make sure you visit our website to look at our available camps and dates that you want to send your child/grandchild to! Single Mom’s Retreat is Feb. 1-3. There will be plenty of stories, speakers, pampering time, discussions, mentoring, food and a positive experience for you to take home. We promise to support and provide you a weekend you’ve been needing! Come join us on this retreat where you will be rejuvenated, empowered, and filled with joy! For more information: wwwinspirationhills.org.
4th-6th Grade Winter Retreat is scheduled for Feb. 15th-16th. Come for a reunion with your friends to play great camp games, eat delicious food and chapel. Our theme is ANCHOR from Hebrews 6:19 “We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure”. If you would like to request a Scholarship, please register before Feb. 3rd. Visit our website wwwinspirationhills.org for more information and to register. “Wild at Heart Men’s Boot Camp” is March 7-10. Written on every man’s heart is a yearning for adventure, battle, and beauty. A man needs a deeper understanding of why these longings govern him – and why God made him just like that. Visit our website for more information and to register!
ORANGE CITY Area Home Health & Hospice is offering a Grief Support Group for six consecutive Tuesday afternoons beginning Feb. 12 from 1-2:30p in the private dining room at Prairie Ridge Care Center. The goal of the support group is to help individuals understand the dynamics of grief and provide a safe environment to express their feelings. Professionals and past participants also share information about grief, and help group members discover the skills they need to begin again. Please pre-register by Feb. 8 by calling the Home Health & Hospice office at 712-737-5279.
FROM RESONATE GLOBAL MISSION: Urgent need for Missionaries – How is God calling you to spread the gospel? Resonate has an urgent need for people to step into ministry in North America and throughout the world. You might be surprised by how God can use your knowledge, skills, and abilities to expand his kingdom. Explore volunteer and career opportunities by visiting
FROM WORLD RENEW: Volunteer with a Group Overseas – Are you compassionate, respectful, and an adaptable person who would like to volunteer overseas with others who have common interests? With World Renew’s Global Volunteer Program, you will get an authentic cultural experience and learn about the deep history and traditions that define the life in an international community. To find out more, email Andrew at .