July 29, 2018
MORNING WORSHIP SEVICE AT 9:30 A.M. –July 29, 2018
Rev. Loren Kotman.…Minister
Preparation for worship: Fill our worship with grace, Lord Jesus Christ, that every thought, word, and deed may be
acceptable to you, our Rock and our Redeemer. Amen” –based on Psalm 19:14
WE GATHER IN GOD’S HOUSE
*Responsive Call to Worship:
Pastor: Make a joyful noise to God, all the earth; sing the glory of his name; give to him
People: All the earth worships you; they sing praises to you, sing praises to your name.
*Opening Song: #237:1,3 “We Praise You, O God”
*God’s Greeting & Mutual Greeting
WE CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD
God’s Will for Our Lives
Prayer of Confession
Words of Assurance
Song of Assurance: SW#82:1-3 “Wonderful, Merciful Savior”
Offering: 1. Mission Fund; 2. World Renew
Offertory by Hull Christian School Orchestra: “Abide With Me”
WE BOW IN THE PRESENCE OF HIS WORD
*Song of Preparation: #504:1,2,4 “Holy God, We Praise Your Name”
Prayer of Illumination
God’s Word Read: 2 Kings 4:38-41
God’s Word Proclaimed: “Death in the Pot”
Prayer of Application
*Song of Response: #486:1-3 “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing”
WE SERVE IN THE NAME OF THE LORD
*Parting Song: # 633 “He Is Lord”
*indicates congregation stand
organist…Connie Te Krony
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE:
GREETERS TODAY: Lonni & Tami Westphal, Deacon Ryan & Rachel Bolkema
GREETERS NEXT SUNDAY: Randy & Sandy Westra, Elder Daryl & Judi Wesselink
NURSERY SUNDAY: AM Marge Vander Esch, Kathy Bauer, Kirsten Grevengoed, Blaike Bonestroo, Amanda Wiersma; PM Nic Van Engen Family
NURSERY NEXT SUNDAY: AM Becca Te Slaa, Sara Grevengoed, Kyrin De Groot, Lane Driesen, Jaiden Bonestroo; PM Evan Wielenga Family
USHERS FOR AUG.: Ryan Kroese, Glen Scholten, Ted Salazar, Dan Fedders
VALET PARKING FOR JULY: 29: Bryce Veldman & Alex Westra
VALET PARKING FOR AUG.: 5: Jacob Westra, David Te Krony
OFFERINGS: Today – Envelope receipts are for the church budget or for the cause(s) designated on your envelope. The loose offering is for 1. Mission Fund; 2. World Renew
NEXT SUNDAY: 1. Family Crisis Center; 2. Sack Pack Program
COFFEE SERVERS TODAY: Clark & Lavonne Van Schepen
COFFEE SERVERS NEXT WEEK: Eldon & Lisa Van Schepen
POWER POINT TODAY: Kirk
SOUND SYSTEM TODAY: Rick
SOUND SYSTEM NEXT SUNDAY: Ben
CORRESPONDENCE: Ken Leusink to Justin Van Zee; Rick Leusink to Steve & Tara Dekkers; Harlan Mouw to Kevin Schutte; Harry Meendering to Lauren Runia; Jake Ney to Sos & Kara Maletoungou (For those wishing to send an email, addresses are in the directory, first page, under “Missionaries Supported”.)
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
9:30 AM Worship Service
10:45 AM Coffee fellowship in the basement
6:00 PM Evening Service
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
July 28, 2018
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL The God of all times and seasons welcomes you, now and always. May the Word of God, heard and experienced, strengthen you this day. A nursery and quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
THIS MORNING we welcome Jay and Marcy Stellinga and Darlene Wallenburg to the family of God at First CRC. Jay and Marcy come to us from Hope CRC in Hull. Darlene comes to us from Calvin CRC in Rock Valley.
THIS EVENING we welcome Nathan Nieuwendorp as he leads our service. His message is from Matthew 1:1-17 titled “The Genealogy of Jesus”.
PASTOR LOREN will be on vacation this week returning on Monday, August 6. In case of a special need, call your Care Group Elder.
HABITAT TIP-NIGHT: Round up your friends and let Siouxland Habitat serve you supper the Hull Pizza Ranch on Monday, August 6. We will also have 2x4 studs available as part of our Sponsor a Stud project for the Hull Habitat house that you can sponsor for $50.
CHURCH PICNIC will be held on Wed., Sept. 5, at 6:30p at Westside Park. Hamburgers, hot dogs and drink will be provided. Please bring a side to share. A sign-up sheet is on the narthex table and in the basement by the kitchen window. Games provided. If you know of someone new to the community feel free to invite them.
BIBLE LEAGUE VOLUNTEERS: Have you sent in your reservation for the retreat and concert at the First Reformed Church in Sioux Center on September 11? Take advantage of this time of warm Christian fellow and spiritual renewal. Registration brochures are available in the August News ‘n Notes or online at bibleleague.org/retreat18.
THANK YOU to the council and congregation of First CRC church for your special remembrance of our special anniversary. We love you and always thank our God for you. –Pastor Carl & Ellen Klompien
THANK YOU: We would like to say thank you for the cards and expressions of sympathy in the recent loss of our brother-in-law and uncle, Marvin Vandekamp. –Orv & Arlene Vant Hul and family
THANK YOU all for your prayers and sympathy cards in the loss of my sister-in-law. Also to Pastor Loren Kotman for his visit and prayers. –Sincerely, Johanna Westra
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- We extend our Christian sympathy to all who mourn the passing of Melvin Van Otterloo on Thursday evening, July 19. Funeral services were held on Tuesday.
- Congratulations to Chris and Ashley Hulstein on the birth of a daughter, Adley Rae who was born on Wednesday at the Sioux Center Hospital. Pray for Adley who was transferred to Avera McKennan NICU with a rapid heartbeat. As of Thursday the heartbeat had dropped and stabilized. Pray also for Ashley as she recovers from a C-section. Pray for Chris and Ashley both during this time.
- Give thanks that Matt De Wild continues to improve. The plan is for him to go to Craig Rehabilitation in Denver on August 6. Pray for continued improvement for him. Pray for strength for LuAnn and Josh.
- Keep Heath and Kayla Stoker in your prayers. The next step in Heath’s treatment will be in August.
- Give thanks with Florence Kroese that her neck brace was removed on Wednesday and that she is doing better.
- Lisa Wiersma will finish her first round of chemo on July 31 and begin a second round on August 14. Pray for minimal side effects from the second round of treatment.
- Pray for our shut ins: Pleasant Acres: Sally De Groot, Florence Kroese; Aspen Heights: Joyce De Vries, Julianne Kats, Chuck & Darlene Kroese, Goldie Veldman; Fieldcrest in Sheldon: Verne Huisman, Esther Rozeboom: in her son’s home; Good Samaritan Society in George: Wilma Altena; Ardelle Westra: Sioux City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Sandy Nielsen will be having hip replacement surgery this coming Thursday, August 2. We pray for a successful surgery and for her healing in the days and weeks to come.
- John Haveman is home and doing well after receiving six stents last week Saturday. We pray for his continued recovery.
- Glen Kooiker continues his recovery from knee replacement surgery.
- Wilma Heynen continues with her treatment for cancer. We pray for encouragement, strength and healing.
- We pray for Jemma De Jong’s continued progress and healing and strength for the De Jong and Kooima families.
- Cruise De Groot continues his deployment to the Middle East. Cruise’s parents will provide his address if you’d like to send him a note. You may also message him through Facebook. Please pray for his safety and encouragement.
- We pray for Dave and Doris Van Beek’s daughter Deanne and her family, Brian and Sage, as they visit countries in Africa, discerning the location and timing for potential full time service there. They plan to return home next week.
- We remember our members who reside in care facilities: Marv Boon at Prairie Ridge Care Center in Orange City, and Evelyn Dykstra in Byron Center Manor in Byron Center, MI. We also pray for their families as they support them.
HCS is accepting applications for an administrative assistant beginning immediately. This is a part-time position, working Tuesday through Friday and two days a week during the summer. Staff applications can be found on our webpage or by contacting school. Applicants should contact Principal Randy Ten Pas at 439-2273 or e-mail email@example.com with any questions or to receive a job description.
Western is celebrating its 100th anniversary in August 2019. A book is being put together to commemorate this anniversary. As part of the book we would like to include memories from former and current students as well as former and current faculty. Send your reflections to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail them to: Western Christian High School, Box 658, Hull, IA 51239
The 27th annual Western Christian Booster Club golf tournament will be held on Friday, August 10, at 12:00 at the Ridge Golf Course in Sioux Center. The cost to golf is $90 per person and that includes 18 holes of golf, cart, supper, and the chance to win prizes. Please call Mike Broek (712-395-0699) or Mike Roetman (712-449-5199) to reserve your spot or if you have any questions.
COME SPONSOR a 2x4 to help build the Hull Habitat House! You can sponsor a 2x4 for $50 and decorate it with Bible verses, encouragement notes, prayers, pictures, logos, etc. Your decorated 2x4 will be framed into the house and there will be a Stud Finder Open House later on to see everyone’s. Get more details and sign up by August 1 by contacting Kurt Franje: 712-476-2804 or email@example.com.
PROMISE COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTER, in Sioux Center, will host a Back-to-School Block Party 2 at 7:00p on Wed., Aug. 1l. At the event, Promise will provide free immunizations, dental screens and vision screens that students need for school. Promise also will offer $25 school and sports physicals. Free drawstring bags with school and health supplies will be handed out. The event also will feature free food, games and activities offered by several community organizations. All area students and their families are invited.
GOSPEL CONCERT: The Booth Brothers, a multi-award willing group, will be appearing live in Sioux Falls on Friday, August 24, at Sioux Falls First Church (6300 W. 41st Street). Doors open at 6:00p and the concert begins at 7:00p. For tickets call Corvex Productions (605) 359-7284, visit Crossroads Bookstore in Sioux Falls or online at www.iTickets.com.
JFA is gearing up for the Annual Fall Auction & Picnic which will take place on Thurs., Sept. 6, at the JFA Ministry Center. We are planning a great evening of fun for the whole family! Along with the live and on-line Auction and meal, keep looking for updates on some exciting new additions to this year’s event! We are starting to collect items for the auction and if you would like to donate an item, please contact Joel De Wit at 476-2804 or firstname.lastname@example.org). This is one of JFA ministries most important fund raising events so we hope that you will come out and support the on-going ministry of JFA as we continue to share and care in Christ’s name!
SAVE THE DATE! You are invited to Orange City for a time of refreshment, growth and encouragement as we gather for a Women’s Conference & Men’s Breakfast in November! Our speakers will be Valerie Elliot Shepard and her husband Rev. Walt Shepard. They will also be speaking together the night before, which will be an event for the whole family. We will be reminded of who we are in Christ and how we are to be a light for Him, no matter our age or where we live. Mark your calendars for Friday, Nov. 2 7:00-8:30p (FREE) at the Unity Christian Knight Center. Saturday, Nov. 3 Men’s Breakfast: 9:00-10:30 ($5) (Location TBA); Women’s Conference (with lunch): 9:00-2:00 ($10) Unity Christian Knight Center. Registration will open Sept. 1.
MANAGER OF CHURCH AND PUBLIC RELATIONS: Hope Haven is looking to hire a leader who seeks more than a job, but a calling to work through your belief as a Christ-centered person of faith. This position will represent the philosophy of Hope Haven to the public and assure a dynamic and on-going public relations effort with churches, civic groups, schools, the business community, the Hope Haven constituency, and the general public. This position will also be active in fund raising through the support of the Hope Haven Foundation. The successful candidate will be a self-starter, comfortable with public speaking, demonstrate above average writing and computer skills, and be willing to travel extensively to call on churches and civic groups within a 100 mile radius of Rock Valley. Occasional overnight travel and work on Sundays is required. A bachelors’ degree or significant applicable experience is required and five years’ experience in a related field. Please contact Mark Siemonsma at email@example.com or for more information or go to www.hopehaven.org/careers.