March 11, 2018
MORNING WORSHIP SEVICE AT 9:30 A.M. –March 11, 2018
Gale Tien.…Guest Pastor Fourth Sunday in Lent
Preparation for worship: “Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, in being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.” Phil. 2:5-7
GOD GATHERS HIS PEOPLE INTO HIS PRESENCE
Call to Worship
*Opening Song: #431:1,2,4,5 “All Creatures of Our God and King”
*Hymn of Praise: #428:1,2,3,5 “O Worship the King”
GOD RENEWS US IN HIS GRACE
God’s Will for Our Lives
Call to Confession
Prayer of Confession
Assurance of God’s Pardon
Hymn of Assurance: #260:1-3 “Not What My Hands Have Done”
Offering: 1. Christian Learning Center; 2. Cornerstone Prison Church
GOD SPEAKS TO US THROUGH HIS WORD
*Song of Preparation: #543:1-3 “Guide Me, O My Great Redeemer”
Prayer for Illumination
God’s Word Read: I Samuel 16:1-13
God’s Word Proclaimed: “What Is Really Important”
Prayer of Application
GOD SENDS US OUT TO DO HIS WILL
*Song of Response: #287:1-4 “Have Thine Own Way, Lord”
*Parting Song: #322:1,2 God, The Father Of Your People”
(Please allow teachers/students to exit first)
*indicates congregation stand
pianists: Peg Visser & Connie Grevengoed
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE:
GREETERS TODAY: Dennis & Jackie Vande Griend, Elder Don & Mary Krommendyk
PRAYER DAY SERVICE: Greg & Teresa Vanden Bosch, Deacon Dave & Sherry Vant Hul
GREETERS NEXT SUNDAY: Lawrence & Marge Vander Esch, Elder Gerald Jansen
NURSERY TODAY: AM Tonya De Groot, Sherry De Wit, Maeva Haveman, Dason Van’t Hul, Taylor Westphal; PM Dan Fedders Family
PRAYER DAY SERVICE: Mark Fedders Family
NURSERY NEXT SUNDAY: AM Amy De Jager, Susan De Yager, Ashley Fedders, Teagan
De Jager, Logan Bacam; PM Mike Grevengoed Family
USHERS FOR MAR.: Kyle Bolkema, Rick De Groot, Bryce Veldman, Cory De Wit
VALET PARKING MAR: AM Mitchell Winterfeld, Zach Mouw; PM Colin Westra, Dawson Feenstra
OFFERINGS: Today – Envelope receipts are for the church budget or for the cause(s) designated on your envelope. The loose offering is for 1. Christian Learning Center; 2. Cornerstone Prison Church
PRAYER DAY SERVICE: Global Resonate OFFERING NEXT SUNDAY: Christian Ed. Fund
COFFEE SERVERS TODAY: Dave & Carol R. NEXT WEEK: Ted & Lois Salazar
POWER POINT TODAY: Julie/Shirley; PRAYER DAY: Kirk
SOUND SYSTEM TODAY: Shad NEXT SUNDAY: Cody
CORRESPONDENCE: Bob Soodsma to Justin Van Zee; Kirk Struik to Steve & Tara Dekkers; Ron Techen to Kevin Schutte; Rod Te Krony to Lauren Runia; Dave Te Slaa to Sos & Kara Maletoungou (For those wishing to send an email, addresses are in the directory, first page, under “Missionaries Supported”.)
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
9:30 AM Worship Service
10:45 AM Coffee fellowship in the basement
10:45 AM Sunday School/Catechism Classes (10th/11th grade meet in the Council Room)
10:45 AM Christian Ed. Committee
5:00 PM Evangelism Committee Meeting
6:00 PM Evening Service
7:15 PM College/Career Bible Study in the Youth Building
6:30 PM Elder’s Meeting
7:00 PM Deacon’s Meeting
7:30 PM Friendship Bible
8:00 PM Council Meeting
9:55 AM Coffee Break at Hope CRC. Lesson 2 of Discover 1&2 Thessalonians
2:00 PM Bereans. Lesson 11. Hostess: Joyce Vande Griend
7:00 PM Prayer Day Service
7:00 PM Music & Worship Committee Meeting
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
March 11, 2018
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL Welcome, dear family in Christ, to Christian fellowship, education and worship this day. God bless us, every one. A nursery and quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the cold and flu season, it was decided to cease all hand shake greeting from now until March 15. Elders and Pastor will greet you after the service, but not shake your hand.
TODAY we welcome Gale Tien from Orange City as he leads our worship services.
THE 12TH GRADE Sunday School class will not meet this morning.
HOPE CRC will be joining us on Wednesday, March 14, at 7:00p for the Annual Day of Prayer Service. A time of coffee and fellowship will be held after the service. The offering will be for Global Resonate.
THE COUNCIL is seeking nominations for Elders and Deacons. If you feel called to serve or know of someone who you believe is well equipped for these positions, please contact a council member by March 12. The council asks that you pray for God’s guidance as we go through the nomination process.
ATTENTION CHURCH FAMILY: We are asking for your help with our church’s Guatemala Mission Project. There are many items that we need to collect for this project. A list has been provided in your church mailboxes. Extra copies will be available on the back table. Please place your donations in the box provided in the front lobby. We THANK YOU in advance for your support and for blessing “the least of these” with these every day gifts that we take for granted.
LADIES: if you’d like to volunteer at JFA on Tues., Mar. 13, meet in the upper parking lot at 12:45 to car pool.
NEXT SUNDAY EVENING, Gary & Eloise Sikma will tell us about their upcoming work with Wycliffe in South Africa. A time of coffee and fellowship will be held after the service.
CADETS/GEMS Pinewood Derby will be Monday, Mar. 19 at HCS in the gym starting at 7:00p. GEMS will provide a supper from 5:30-7:00p. Free-will donation will be collected to help with GEMS camp registration.
INVITATION: Eli Birnbaum will present “Christ in the Passover” at Hope CRC on Wed., March 28 at 7:30p. Join us for Christ in the Passover from Egypt to Calvary to what it means to us today. Call 439-1202 for more information. No admission charge.
HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS interested in making profession of faith are invited to a preconfession class beginning Sunday morning, April 22, (note change of date) during the Sunday school hour. Call or text Pastor Loren (712-449-5222) or email him email@example.com if you plan to attend.
THE SHARE GROUP for widows/widowers will meet Thurs., Mar. 25 at 6:00p at Homestead Commons. We’ll enjoy soup & bread for supper. Gerry Holtrop will present information on Partners for Patriots. Call Pastor Deutsch 605-742-4469 or Deanna Tiedeman 439-2229 with questions.
SAVE THE DATE! Hull VBS is excited to announce “Shipwrecked-Rescued by Jesus,” our 2018 Summer Vacation Bible School! It will be June 3-7 from 6-8:45pm. It is for kids entering K-6 (Fall 2018). If you have any questions, contact Rachel Bolkema, Jessica Pollema or Ashley Hulstein.
THANK YOU We are grateful to God that I am pain free after successful hip replacement surgery. Thank you to Pastor Kotman and Pastor Klompien, Elder Wielenga, Deacon Haveman, our care group, and congregation for your prayers, visits, cards and food given during my recovery. God is truly good! - Bob & Sharon Soodsma
THANK YOU very much for the beautiful 90th birthday cards. I appreciated it very much! –Esther Rozeboom
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Shar Bonestroo’s mom, Betty den Hoed, was scheduled for her second chemo treatment on Friday, March 9. Pray for healing.
- Continue to remember LeRoy Jongetjes, Skyler Bonestroo, and Darlene Kroese as they recover from recent surgeries.
- We extend our Christian sympathy to Harlan and Kathy Mouw in the passing of Harlan’s brother, John Mouw, Friday, March 2, to Ken and Belle Draayer in the passing of their brother-in-law, Gerrit Kruid, Saturday, March 3, and to Jay and Donna DeWit in the passing of Donna’s mother, Margaret Hoekstra, Saturday, March 3.
- Henry Kats was released from the hospital on Monday, March 5. Test results came back Wednesday and everything looks good.
- Remember Heath Stoker and family in prayer. Heath has been diagnosed with multiple myeloma. He began radiation treatments on Monday. Pray for wisdom for the doctors and healing for Heath. The family requests no visits at this time due to Heath’s immune system.
- Pray for Sara Grevengoed’s dad, Jim Bynes. After several tests they discovered he suffered a stroke and heart attack. Sara left for Mesa, AZ to be with her parents last week Sunday. Pray for wisdom for the doctors and strength and peace for the family. You can follow Jim’s progress on Caring Bridge.
- Prayers are requested for Julie Heyboer Piers, daughter of Rev. Marvin & Jackie Heyboer, who was informed that she has the return of a very aggressive breast cancer. She is scheduled to submit to a complete mastectomy on March 13 and thereafter 4 months of chemo therapy. For those wishing to send her letters of encouragement her address is: Julie Piers, 17757 Switzerland Rd. Watertown, NY 13601.
- Pray for our shut ins: Sally De Groot, Florence Kroese, and Melvin Van Otterloo at Pleasant Acres; Joyce De Vries, Verne Huisman, Julianne Kats, Anthony Smit, and Goldie Veldman at Aspen Heights; Esther Rozeboom in her son’s home, Wilma Altena at the Good Samaritan Society in George, and Ardelle Westra in Sioux City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- We keep Dave and Donna Hoekstra, Justin and Mandy Hoekstra, Brian and Sarah Fykstra, as well as the rest of the family in our prayers as they mourn the passing of mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother, Margaret Hoekstra, 89. Her funeral was this past Friday. While she will be missed, the family takes comfort and finds joy in the eternal promises of Jesus Christ.
- We keep Cruise De Groot in prayer as he spends time between home and Nebraska, where he trains and prepares for his deployment with the US Army.
- We continue to pray for strength and healing for Jemma Jean De Jong, daughter of Sarah and Todd De Jong, and grand-daughter of Diana and Dave Kooima.
- We pray for many others who continue to recover from recent surgeries, illnesses, or treatments. We pray for peace, patience, and endurance.
- We remember our members who reside in care facilities: Marv Boon at Prairie Ridge Care Center in Orange City, and Evelyn Dykstra in Byron Center Manor in Byron Center, MI. We also pray for their families as they support them.
HCS will be having Registration and Open House for Little Blessings Preschool on Tues., March 13. The on-line registration form will be posted on the HCS webpage at 6:00p on the 13th and can be completed from home or a few laptops will be set up at school that evening from 6:00-7:30p. Mrs. Boer will make a short presentation at 7:00p regarding the daily activities of preschool. Classes are filled on a first come, first served basis. There is no tuition cost for preschool. If you have any questions or know anyone who may be interested in Little Blessing Preschool, please contact the school office at 439-2273.
HCS is looking for someone to work on a contract basis to perform bookkeeping duties. You can work from home with flexible hours. Duties will include preparing financial statements, managing all financial accounts and paying bills. Applications can be found on our webpage or by contacting school. If interested please contact Randy Ten Pas at 712-439-2273 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
HCS will be presenting a Pops Concert entitled “Out of This World” featuring the 5th grade band, junior high band, and strings on Monday, March 12, at 7:00p in the HCS gym. This will also be live on facebook!
JUNIOR HIGH RETREAT: Minn-I-Kota and Dordt College are partnering to present the 8th Annual Junior High Retreat April 20-22, 2018 at Inspiration Hills. Please contact Lee De Groot for more information: email@example.com or 712-470-4244. Forms are available on the table in narthex.
DORDT Concert Band invites everyone to a spaghetti dinner at First CRC in Sioux Center on Wed., March 21, from 5:00-7:00p. Freewill donations will be accepted to support the band’s upcoming tour to Europe in May.
DORDT COLLEGE Concert Choir will present their final concert of the season Friday, March 23. The concert is free, with a freewill offering received to help defray tour expenses.
NISO in conjunction with a grant from Sioux Center Recreation and Arts Council will present a Guest Concert by the Camerata RCO of the Netherlands on March 20. It will be at 7:30pm in the BJ Haan Auditorium. Tickets available at Evie’s Hallmark in Sioux Center & Jubon Juweelen in Orange City. They may also be purchased at the door that night. For more information contact the NISO office at 712-722-6230 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ALL WOMEN & girls are invited to Night to Shine & Sparkle at Trinity CRC in Rock Valley on April 12. Doors opening at 5:00p with vendors; and a light meal will be served. The event speaker, Image Truth, will share a message of hope, truth and beautiful freedom to girls & women and their closets. Tickets go on sale March 10 for $15 each. Purchase by emailing email@example.com or calling/texting 712-449-8150.
ALPHA CENTER requests the pleasure of your company as our guests for the Imagination Dinner on Friday, April 27. Welcome reception at 6:15p, Dinner & program at 7:00p, at the Sioux Falls Convention Center, 1201 N. West Avenue, Sioux Falls, SD. Dinner is complementary with limited seating so pre-registration is required. An opportunity to make a financial faith promise investment will be provided. To register visit www.alphacenterfriends.com or contact Alpha Center at 605-361-3500.
CORNERSTONE PRISON CHURCH invites you to their 12th Annual Benefit Banquet on Monday, April 9, at Trinity CRC. Doors open at 6:00p. RSVP by April 2 (476-5292) or www.cornerstonepcsd.org.