March 17, 2019
MORNING WORSHIP SEVICE AT 9:30 A.M. –March 17, 2019
Rev. Doug De Groot.…Guest Minister Second Sunday in Lent
Preparation for Worship: Fill our worship with grace, Lord Jesus Christ, that every thought, word, and deed may be acceptable to you, our Rock and our Redeemer. Amen
WE ENTER INTO GOD’S PRESENCE
*Call to Worship: Psalm 100
*God’s Greeting & Mutual Greeting
*Opening Song: #412:1-5 “Jesus Shall Reign”
CONFESSION AND ASSURANCE
God’s Law: Responsive Reading (Exodus 20:1-17 & Matt. 22:35-40) on PPT
Call to Confession: Psalm 101:1-8
Prayer of Confession
Assurance of Pardon: Psalm 103:1-10
Hymn of Assurance: #490:1-3 “Blessed Assurance: Jesus Is Mine”
WE HEAR THE WORD OF GOD
*Song of Preparation: SW#28:1-3 “As the Deer”
Prayer of Illumination
God’s Word Read: John 6:25-59
God’s Word Proclaimed: “I Am – the Bread of Life”
Prayer of Application
GOD CALLS US TO SERVE
*Hymn of Response: SW#65:1-3 “What a Friend We Have in Jesus”
*Doxology: #638 “Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow”
(Please allow teachers/students to exit first)
*indicates congregation stand
organist…Connie Te Krony
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE:
GREETERS TODAY: Mike & Connie Grevengoed, Deacon Noah & Susan De Yager
GREETERS NEXT SUNDAY: Scott & Sara Grevengoed, Elder Harry & Dee Meendering
NURSERY TODAY: AM Sandy Westra, Michelle Zomermaand, Addison Rozeboom, Ethan Ney, Emily Fedders; PM Travis Veldman Family
NURSERY NEXT SUNDAY: AM Rachel Bolkema, Stephanie Baccam, Ashley Fedders, Braeden Kats, Jacob Emerick; PM Nic Van Engen Family
USHERS FOR MAR.: Travis Veldman, Zach Mouw, Brian Rozeboom, Galen Kroese
VALET PARKING FOR MAR.: March 17: Bryce Veldman & Kyle Pollema; March 24: Zach De Jager & Grant Vanden Bosch; March 31: Alex Westra & Andrew Hoekstra
OFFERINGS: Today – Envelope receipts are for the church budget or for the cause(s) designated
on your envelope. The loose offering is for Benevolence
NEXT SUNDAY: Christian Ed Fund
COFFEE SERVERS TODAY: Noah & Susan NEXT SUNDAY: Kevin & Janice
POWER POINT TODAY: Shirley NEXT SUNDAY: Kirk
SOUND SYSTEM TODAY: Cody NEXT SUNDAY: Joel
CORRESPONDENCE: Nic Van Engen to Justin Van Zee; Lee Van Grouw to Steve & Tara Dekkers; Clark Van Schepen to Michael Ribbons; Justin Van Schepen to Kevin Schutte; Lonny Van Schepen to Lauren Runia; Arlene Van Schepen to Sos & Kara Maletoungou (For those wishing to send an email, addresses are in the church directory, first page, under “Missionaries Supported”.)
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
9:30 AM Worship Service
10:45 AM Coffee fellowship in the basement
10:45 AM Sunday School/Catechism Classes
6:00 PM Evening Worship Service
7:00 PM Christian Fellowship. Session 6 “Ears to Hear”. Lunch: Don & Mary Krommendyk
6:45 PM GEMS will meet at Hope CRC for a regular meeting. 6th graders are asked to be at Hope at 6:00p to leave for a field trip.
7:30 PM Friendship Bible
9:55 AM Coffee Break at Hope CRC
2:00 PM Bereans. Lesson 10. Lunch: Theresa De Wit
7:00 PM Mission Guild. Lesson 9. Opening Prayer: Joyce Vander Well;
Closing Prayer: Nelvina Kroese
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
March 17, 2019
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL “The Lord is my light and my salvation”. Thank you, God, for being all I ever need. A nursery and quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
REMINDER: We have ceased all handshake greeting until the middle of April. Greeters will still be available prior to the service to welcome you and Elders will greet you after the service, but will NOT shake your hand.
WE WELCOME Rev. Doug De Groot as he leads our worship services today.
THE 11-12 Sunday School class will not meet today.
ADULT SUNDAY SCHOOL will not be meeting today. We will meet next week, March 24th.
NEXT SUNDAY MORNING Hudson Lee Kroese, infant son of Ryan & Christine, will receive the sacrament of baptism.
THE “SHARE” GROUP for widows and widowers will meet on Thursday, March 21, at 6:00p at Homestead Commons. We will enjoy a baked potato bar for supper. Following our meal, we will play table games together. You are asked to bring $5 to help cover expenses. Please call Deanna Tiedeman (439-2229) or Pastor Aaron Deutsch (605-742-4469) with any questions.
THE COUNCIL is seeking nomination for Elders and Deacons. If you feel called to serve or know of someone you believe is well equipped for these positions, please contact a council member by April 8. The Council asks that you pray for God’s guidance as we go through the nomination process.
SAVE THE DATE: The YPS would like to invite all Senior Citizens to a night of games, fellowship, and food on Wednesday, March 27th at 7:00p in the church basement.
PLEASE RESERVE Tues., April 2, for a Community Impact Night for Matt & LuAnn De Wild. It will be held from 5:00-8:00p at the Pizza Ranch. The Impact Night is sponsored by First CRC, Bargain Alley, and Agropur. Modern Woodman is assisting with matching funds.
HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS: Pastor Loren will be offering a class during the Sunday School hour in late April, early May, for those interested in making profession of faith. More information later.
YARN IS NEEDED for the stocking cap ministry at the South Dakota State Penitentiary in Sioux Falls. Stocking caps are made by the inmates which are distributed by various organizations serving people in need. Yarn may be placed in the box provided in the lobby. Thank you for supporting this ministry.
MEMBERSHIP TRANSFER: The communicant membership of Matt Westra has been transferred, at his request, to Trinity CRC in Rock Valley. Shaun Kats has requested that his membership be removed from Hull 1st CRC as he now attends a Lutheran Church in St. Paul, MN. We wish them God’s blessing in their new church home.
THANK YOU for cards and expressions of sympathy following the passing of our sister-in-law. They were all very much appreciated. -Ken & Belle Draayer
OFFERING AMOUNTS FOR FEB.:
General Fund: $20,417.58 Building Fund: $ 1,210.00 Sioux Falls Gospel Mission: $ 197.25
Mission Fund: 760.00 Alpha Center: 1,157.67 Benevolent Fund: $260.00 JFA $567.00
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- We extend our Christian sympathy to Jim and Lee Oostenink, Seth and Jaime Oostenink and family in the passing of Jim’s mom, Wilmina Oostenink Kooiker who passed away on Friday, March 8.
- Wilmar Pollema continues with chemo treatment. Give thanks that the numbers for his multiple myeloma have gone down. Continue to remember him in your prayers.
- Glenda Oolman had successful surgery last week on her shoulder and for her broken arm. Pray for God’s healing.
- Jace Hulstein had surgery this past Tuesday to remove his tonsils and adenoids.
- Continue to keep Russ Vander Schaaf in your prayers. Pray the antibiotics will be effective, his wound will continue to heal and for relief from shoulder pain.
- Duane Vande Griend continues with cancer treatment. Pray for relief from side effects from the medication, a better appetite and for healing. He appreciates your cards and prayers.
- Heath Stoker is doing well as he continues on maintenance chemo and bone hardener. Please continue to pray for good health and building of his immune system.
- LeRoy Jongetjes continues at Pleasant Acres where he is receiving IV for an infection. He expects to be there at least another 1 to 2 weeks. Pray for healing. He is grateful for all your prayers and cards.
- Pray for our shut ins: PA: Chuck & Darlene Kroese, Sally De Groot, Florence Kroese; Aspen Heights: Joyce De Vries, Julianne Kats, Harry Klay, Goldie Veldman; Fieldcrest in Sheldon: Verne Huisman, Esther Rozeboom: in her son’s home; Good Samaritan Society in George: Wilma Altena; Ardelle Westra: S. City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- We extend our sympathy to Marion and Jan Van Soelen in the passing of their sister-in-saw, Janice Vander Wal, 70, of Pella. Her funeral was held in Pella this week. We pray for the Lord’s comfort for them and the rest of the family. May they find encouragement and joy in the promises of our Savior.
- Wilmina Oostenink-Kooiker,96, grandmother of Heath Oostenink, passed away Friday, March 8. Her funeral was this past week. We pray for Heath and Paula and all of the Oostenink family as they mourn and remember. May God surround them with His loving care and remind them of the hope we share in the resurrection of our Lord.
- We continue to pray for Julie Horstman as she continues her recovery from a broken ankle. We pray for the Lord’s healing mercies and for patience as she waits. We also pray for her family as they care for her.
- Joan Buyert has been placed under the care of hospice at Royale Meadows in Sioux Center. We pray for her comfort, for peace, and for encouragement.
- Cruise De Groot continues his deployment to the Middle East. Please pray for his health, safety and encouragement.
- We remember Marv Boon at the Prairie Ridge Care Center in Orange City. We also remember those who reside at home but aren’t able to join us from week to week. We also pray for their families as they support them.
HCS will be having a Community Impact Night at the Pizza Ranch on April 8 from 5:00-7:00p. The money raised will help cover the cost of a new sound system in the gym. We hope to see you there!
HCS is accepting applications for a part-time paraprofessional. The position will require working with a variety of students and assisting teachers in the classroom. Staff applications can be found on our webpage or by contacting school. Contact Principal Randy Ten Pas at 439-2273 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Western’s 8th Grade Day will be held on Thursday, April 4, at 3:00p. All 8th graders, regardless of their high school plans, are invited to visit Western on that day. Western will provide transportation for all students who want to attend. Parents are invited to join them that evening at 5:30p for a meal, tours, and a program. If you have questions please call 439-1013 or email email@example.com.
While doing your spring cleaning keep The Bargain Alley Thrift Store in mind. They accept donations of clothing, furniture, toys, books, home décor, seasonal goods, hardware, linens, antiques/collectibles, jewelry, sporting goods, shoes and boots that are in good condition. Located at 1103 Maple Street, one block east of the downtown stop sign in Hull, they also will come to you if you have furniture or a full load to make it worth the trip. Please do not leave items at the door when no one is in attendance. Your donations help support Christian education.
LOVE INC Annual Meeting is Mon., March 18, at 7:00p at Pioneer United Methodist Church in Rock Valley.
DORDT CONCERT Band & Chamber Orchestra invite you to a concert at 7:30p on Friday, March 22, in the Auditorium. The concert is free, with a free will offering received to help defray tour expenses.
DORDT COLLEGE student Anna Blauw will present a junior recital at 7:30p on Saturday, March 23, in the Auditorium. The recital is free and open to the public.
REHOBOTH CHRISTIAN HIGH SCHOOL BAND will perform a concert “We are Not Alone” on Mon., Mar. 25, at Trinity CRC in Rock Valley at 7:00p and on Thurs., March 28, at First CRC in Orange City at 7:00p.
ORANGE CITY Area Home Health & Hospice will host a video-conference entitled “Aging America” coping with loss, dying, and death in later life on Wed., Mar. 27, from 1:00-3:30p at OC Area Health System’s main campus, lower level. Pre-registration is requested by calling 712-737-5279 by Mar. 26.
GUIDING STAR ORANGE CITY is hosting a Red Carpet Event for the upcoming “Unplanned” movie on March 28th. Tickets are $10 and may be purchased online at www.guidingstarorangecity.org/calendar. Abby Johnson will be our Keynote Speaker for the Tuesday, April 16, Guiding Star Gala. Sponsor Tables are now on sale at www.guidingstarorangecity.org/gala. Join us for an exciting night of celebrating a Culture of Life!
HUNGRY FREE KIDS: The 5th annual Hungry Free Kids of Sioux County dinner and auction is Friday, March 29, in the Dordt Rec Center. Free will dinner beings at 5:30p and the live auction begins at 6:30p.
NW IA SYMPATHY ORCHESTRA will present its annual Spring Concert, The Organ: King of Instruments, on Tues., April 2, at 7:30p in Dordt’s Auditorium. Guest organist is MaryLou Wielenga. Season tickets for next year will be offered that evening for a special discounted price. Advance tickets available at Evie’s Hallmark in Sioux Center or available at the door the night of the concert.
BETHANY ASK Banquet will be held Tues., April 2, at Terrace View Event Center in Sioux Center. RSVP for the meal by March 25 by calling the Bethany Christian Services office at 712-737-4831.
HOPE HAVEN will host their annual Benefit Auction on Friday, April 5, at Te Slaa Trucking. Doors open at 4:30p, food booth & buy-it-now table opens at 5:00p and the auction begins at 5:30p.
ORANGE CITY HOME HEALTH & HOSPICE is hosting its 13th annual Hospice Memorial Service on Sunday, April 7, at 2:00p at 1st CRC in Orange City.
CORNERSTONE PRISON CHURCH 13th Annual Benefit Banquet will be held on Monday, April 8, at Trinity CRC in Rock Valley at 6:30p. Save your spot by March 31, by calling Trinity CRC at 476-5293.