March 25, 2018
MORNING WORSHIP SEVICE AT 9:30 A.M. –March 25, 2018
Rev. Loren Kotman.…Minister Palm Sunday
Preparation for worship: “They took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting, “Hosanna!” “Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!” “Blessed is the King of Israel!” John 12:13
WE ENTER INTO HIS PRESENCE
*Call to Worship
*God’s Greeting and Mutual Greeting
*Processional Song: #378:1-3 “Hosanna, Loud Hosanna”
Children Sing: “We Have a King” “Ho-Ho-Ho-Hosanna”
“Great & Mighty” “He Is the King of Glory”
Children’s Message by Pastor Loren
Song of Praise: #375:1-3 “All Glory, Laud, and Honor”
WE CONSECRATE OURSELVES TO GOD
Preparatory Exhortation for the Lord’s Supper
*Psalm of Praise: #118:1,5 “Give Thanks to God for All His Goodness”
Offering: 1. Vacation Bible School; 2. Wycliffe
WE HEAR GOD’S WORD
*Song of Preparation: #439:1-4 “I Will Sing of My Redeemer” (Blue Psalter)
Prayer for Illumination
God’s Word Read: Mark 15:21-32
God’s Word Proclaimed: “Insult Added to Injury”
Prayer of Application
WE RESOND TO GOD’S WORD
*Song of Response: #482:1-5 “Man of Sorrows – What a Name”
*Parting Song: #561:1,5 “Rejoice, O Pure in Heart”
(Please allow teachers/students to exit first)
*indicates congregation stand
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE:
GREETERS TODAY: Joyce Vande Griend, Joyce Vander Well, Deacon Noah & Susan De Yager
GOOD FRIDAY: Elder Lynn & Linda Anderson, Elder Tim & Ruth Kats
GREETERS NEXT SUNDAY: Kyle & Janae Vander Schaaf, Deacon Justin & Cindy Te Slaa
NURSERY TODAY: AM Lisa Kats, Cindy Te Slaa, Haley Wielenga, Faith Kleinwolterink, Rachel Kats; PM John Emerick Family
GOOD FRIDAY: Kevin Driesen Family
NURSERY NEXT SUNDAY: AM Megan Kooima, Alysia Haveman, Bryson Sandbulte, Ethan Ney, Haley Driesen; PM Noah De Yager Family
USHERS FOR APR.: Bryce Veldman, Cory De Wit, Mike Grevengoed, Kevin Driesen
OFFERINGS: Today – Envelope receipts are for the church budget or for the cause(s) designated on your envelope. The loose offering is for 1. Vacation Bible School; 2. Wycliffe
GOOD FRIDAY: Benevolent Fund NEXT SUNDAY: 1. Mission Fund; 2. Kingdom Boundaries
COFFEE SERVERS TODAY: Mark & Sara S. NEXT WEEK: Glen & Tami Scholten
POWER POINT TODAY: Julie/Tonya GOOD FRIDAY: Kirk
SOUND SYSTEM TODAY: Joel NEXT SUNDAY: Ben
CORRESPONDENCE: Dennis Vande Griend to Justin Van Zee; Duane Vande Griend to Steve & Tara Dekkers; Joyce Vande Griend to Kevin Schutte; Greg Vanden Bosch to Lauren Runia; Lawrence Vander Esch to Sos & Kara Maletoungou (For those wishing to send an email, addresses are in the directory, first page, under “Missionaries Supported”.)
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
9:30 AM Worship Service
10:45 AM Coffee fellowship in the basement
10:45 AM Sunday School/Catechism Classes (10th/11th grade meet in the Council Room)
10:45 AM Choir Rehearsal
6:00 PM Evening Service
7:15 PM Christian Fellowship. Lunch: Linda Kroese
7:30 PM Friendship Bible
2:00 PM Bereans. Lesson 12. Hostess: Joyce Vander Well
7:00 PM YPS; Movie Night. Devotions: Amanda W. & Mitchell W.; Lunch: Dana D. & Alyssa F.
7:00 PM Good Friday Service
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
March 25, 2018
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL “Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!” (Mark 11:9) We walk with Jesus along the road to Jerusalem, the road to death but also resurrection, the road of faith and worship. A nursery and quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
THE FLOWERS in front of church have been given by Lou in honor of Don & Mary Krommendyk’s 45th wedding anniversary.
THIS EVENING Pastor Loren’s message is from John 16:1-16 titled “The Work of the Holy Spirit”.
GRAPHIC TEE FUNDRAISER forms must be turned in Nicole Rozeboom by Monday, March 26, with payment. Any questions please call 712-540-7658. Shirts can be picked up at the Chr. Ed Auction, Wed, Apr. 4.
LADIES who’d like to help out at JFA on Tues., Mar. 27, meet at 12:45p in the church parking lot to car pool.
INVITATION: Eli Birnbaum, will present “Christ in the Passover” at Hope CRC on Wed., March 28 at 7:30p. Join us for Christ in the Passover, from Egypt to Calvary, to what it means to us today. Everyone is invited to stay for cookies/bars and fellowship following this meeting.
GOOD FRIDAY service is scheduled for Friday, March 30, at 7:00p.
REMINDER of the donation box in the narthex for the Guatemala mission project. A list of needed items is on the back table. Thanks for your help in blessing the “least of these”.
COME JOIN US on Tues., April 10, from 5-7p for IMPACT NIGHT at the Hull Pizza Ranch. Proceeds will go towards the Hull 1st CRC Guatemala Mission Project. Funds will go directly towards house building materials, food bags, Spanish Bibles, and wheelchair sponsorship.
CORNERSTONE PRISON CHURCH 12th Annual Benefit Banquet is Monday, April 9, at Trinity CRC. Doors open at 6:00p; meal at 6:30p. RSVP by April 2 by calling Trinity at 476-5292. Freewill offering taken.
SAVE THE DATE – April 25th – YPS 50’s diner! Come out to enjoy hamburgers, brats, hotdogs, and homemade milk shakes on Wed., April 25th, from 5-7p. Reminder that “To Go” boxes are available.
HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS interested in making profession of faith are invited to a preconfession class beginning Sunday morning, April 22, (note change of date) during the Sunday school hour. Call or text Pastor Loren (712-449-5222) or email him email@example.com if you plan to attend.
THANK YOU to my former home church for the many ways you showed kindness to me during Bill’s failing health and after his death. Your visits to Bill and the many cards meant so much to both of us. First CRC Hull will always be a part of us. –Lorraine Groeneweg
THANK YOU: We would like to thank all those who remembered our family in your prayers, words of encouragement and expressions of sympathy; to our care group for the memorial gift and to Pastor & Norma Kotman for their prayers, and words of comfort and hope in the passing of our brother John. Thanks be to God!
-Harlan, Kathy and Zachary Mouw
THANK YOU for visiting Cornerstone Prison Church. It’s always a joy to have you join us in worship! Hope to see you again soon!
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- We extend our Christian sympathy to Shad & Missy Kats and family in the passing of Shad’s father, Larry Kats, on Monday. May God comfort them in their loss.
- Lois Salazar is scheduled to have knee replacement surgery on Tuesday, March 27, in Sioux Center. Pray that the surgery will go well.
- Give thanks with Larry Hoekstra that the procedure done last Thursday to stabilize his heart rhythm went well. He will have another procedure done on Tuesday. Pray for God’s blessing.
- Give thanks that Henry Kats was released from the hospital late Sat. evening, March 16, and is doing well.
- Give thanks that LeRoy Jongetjes returned home after being at Pleasant Acres. Give thanks for God’s healing. Pray for continued health.
- Charles and Darlene Kroese moved to Aspen Heights (Room 120) on Saturday, March 17. Pray for them as they adjust to a new home.
- Continue to remember Heath Stoker and family in prayer. Heath is receiving treatment for multiple myeloma. Continue to pray for wisdom for the doctors. They request no visits at this time due to Heath’s immune system.
- Shar Bonestroo’s mom, Betty den Hoed is still receiving treatment. Pray for strength and healing.
- Sara Grevengoed’s dad, Jim Byrnes, is making progress and is able to receive more therapy. Continue to pray for Jim and Barb. You can follow Jim’s progress on Caring Bridge.
- Pray for our shut ins: Pleasant Acres: Sally De Groot, Florence Kroese, Melvin Van Otterloo; Aspen Heights: Joyce De Vries, Verne Huisman, Julianne Kats, Chuck & Darlene Kroese, Anthony Smit, Goldie Veldman; Esther Rozeboom: in her son’s home; Wilma Altena: Good Samaritan Society in George; Ardelle Westra in Sioux City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- We express our sympathy to Sherry and John Kooiker in the passing of Sherry’s mother, Toni Eklund, 89, of rural Milonvale, KS, on March 17. The funeral was held earlier this week. We also keep Sherry’s step-father, Emory Eklund, in our prayers as well. We pray the Lord’s comfort and encouragement during this time.
- We keep Cruise De Groot in prayer, as he spends time between home and Nebraska, where he trains and prepares for his deployment with the US Army.
- We continue to pray for strength and healing for Jemma Jean De Jong, daughter of Sarah and Todd De Jong, and grand-daughter of Diana and Dave Kooima. She underwent a heart procedure this week and continues to be monitored closely.
- We pray for many others who continue to recover from recent surgeries, illnesses, or treatments. We pray for peace, patience, and endurance.
- We remember our members who reside in care facilities: Marv Boon at Prairie Ridge Care Center in Orange City, and Evelyn Dykstra in Byron Center Manor in Byron Center, MI. We also pray for their families as they support them.
Western desires to expose our students to various perspectives in regard to the origins of creation. Earlier this school year Dr. Terry Mortenson, an expert in the History of Geology and a theologian, shared his perspective on the origins of Creation and Noah’s Flood. On Monday, March 26, at 9:00a in the Event Center at Western, Dr. Leslie Wickman will share her perspective about the harmony and reconciliation of faith and science. Wickman brings a wealth of experience as a researcher, teacher, and administrator, both in academia and industry. She received her PhD in human factors and biomechanics from Stanford University and most recently was Program Director of Engineering and Director of the Center for Research in Science, both at Azusa Pacific University. The public is invited to attend.
Western 8th grade day will be held Thursday, April 5, at 3:00p. All 8th graders, regardless of their high school plans, are invited to visit Western on that day. Western will provide transportation for all the students to attend, and parents are requested to pick them up. If parents are not able to attend, we would be glad to arrange transportation home for any student. All parents are invited to come to Western at 5:30p for a free meal, displays, and tours. Questions, contact the office at Western (439-1013).
LOVE INC annual meeting will be held Monday, March 26 at 7:00p at the Main Street Plaza (across from M&H True Value). Everyone is welcome! Refreshments will be served.
MEMORY LOSS Support Group will meet Thurs., Mar. 29 at 7:00p at Sanford Sheldon Senior Care. The program will be Caregiver Guilt.
HOPE HAVEN, INC. Annual Benefit Auction is Friday, April 6, at Te Slaa Trucking. Doors open at 4:30p, food booth and buy-it-now table at 4:30p and the live auction begins at 5:30p. The whole family is invited!
NW IA SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA will present its annual Spring Concert, A Mighty Fortress, on Tuesday, April 10, at 7:30 in the Dordt Auditorium. Guest artist is Dr. Richard Steinbach. This Spring Concert will also feature the announcement of the 2018-2019 season. Season tickets will be offered for a special discounted price. Advance tickets are available at Evie’s Hallmark in Sioux Center and Jubon Juweelen in Orange City as well as at the door the night of the concert. For information, contact the NISO office at 722-6230 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
LIVING WITH GRIEF program is slated for April 11, from 1-3:00p in the lower level conference room at Orange City Area Health System main campus. The program explores the most current theoretical perspectives on loss and grief, emphasizing that loss engenders not only grief, but also growth. Individuals struggling with loss will learn self-help strategies as they cope with loss. To attend call, 712-737-5279. CEUs available.
BETHANY CHRISTIAN Services ASK Banquet is scheduled for Thurs., April 12, at the Terrace View Event Center. Punch starting at 6:00p followed by a complimentary meal served at 6:30p. RSVP for the meal by April 2 by calling the Bethany Christian Services at 712-737-4831 or email email@example.com.
ALL WOMEN & girls are invited to Night to Shine & Sparkle at Trinity CRC in Rock Valley on April 12. Doors opening at 5:00p with vendors; and a light meal will be served. Tickets can be purchased for $15 each emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling/texting 712-449-8150.
SIOUXLAND HABITAT: Siouxland Habitat for Humanity is accepting partner family applications for our home ownership program for a future home in Hull. Application forms are available at the Hull City Office, Hull Library and online at http://siouxlandhabitat.org/our-programs/home-ownership/. Completed applications are due by April 20. Qestions, please contact Kurt Franje, 712-476-2804 or email email@example.com.
MINN-I-KOTA & Dordt are partnering to present the 8th Annual Junior High Retreat April 20-22 at Inspiration Hills. Contact Lee De Groot for information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 712-470-4244. Forms available on the table.