May 27, 2018
MORNING WORSHIP SEVICE AT 9:30 A.M. –May 27, 2018
Rev. Loren Kotman.…Minister
Preparation for worship: “Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn
with those who mourn.” Romans 12:14-15
WE COME BEFORE OUR LORD
*Responsive Call to Worship: (WSB 1.22)
Pastor: Great and marvelous are your deeds, Lord God Almighty.
People: Just and true are your ways, King of the nations.
Pastor: Who will not fear you, Lord, and bring glory to your name?
People: For you alone are holy. All nations will come and worship before you.
*God’s Greeting & Mutual Greeting
*Opening Hymns: SW#6 “How Majestic is Your Name” &
#8:1,5 “Lord, Our Lord, Your Glorious Name”
WE COME TO PROFESS OUR FAITH IN OUR LORD
Profession of Faith: Haley Driesen, Aimee Vanden Bosch, Anna Zomermaand (PH p. 964)
Profession Hymn: SW#56:1,3,4 “I Surrender All”
Offering: 1. Justice for All; 2. Autumn’s Center
WE RECEIVE GOD’S WORD
Children’s Message by Pastor Loren
*Hymn of Preparation: SW#45:1-3 “Knowing You” (stand on verses 2&3)
Prayer for Illumination
God’s Word Read: I Peter 3:8-22
God’s Word Proclaimed: “Living the Good Life”
Prayer of Application
GO FORTH TO SERVE
*Song of Response: #288:1-6 “Take My Life and Let It Be”
*Parting Song: #927:1 “God, the Father of Your People” (LUYH)
*indicates congregation stand
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE:
GREETERS TODAY: AM Lonny & Emily Van Schepen, Deacon Darren & Shar Bonestroo
GREETERS NEXT SUNDAY: Shirley Rens & Arlene Van’t Hul, Deacon Terry & DeeAnn Jansma
NURSERY TODAY: AM Koni Leusink, Kathy Mouw, Chandler Pollema, Dalton Westra, Aubri Fedders; PM Community Memorial Service
NURSERY NEXT SUNDAY: AM Kari Ney, Jaime Oostenink, Jesse Ney, Anna Zomermaand, Dawson Feenstra; PM Cody Bauer Family
USHERS FOR JUNE: Kyle LeLoux, Rick Leusink, Rod Te Krony, Greg Vanden Bosch
VALET PARKING: June 3: Taylor Westphal & Colin Westra; June 10: Dawson F. & Marcus TK;
June 17: Mitchell Winterfeld, Dalton Westra; June 24: Logan Baccam, Jacob Westra
OFFERINGS: Today – Envelope receipts are for the church budget or for the cause(s) designated on your envelope. The loose offering is for 1. Justice for All; 2. Autumn’s Center
NEXT SUNDAY: 1. Mission Fund; 2. Royal Family Kids Camp
COFFEE SERVERS TODAY: Dennis & Jackie VG NEXT WEEK: Duane & Aletha VG
POWER POINT TODAY: Kirk NEXT WEEK: AM Arlene; PM Jason/Julie
SOUND SYSTEM TODAY: Joel NEXT SUNDAY: Ben
CORRESPONDENCE: Brent De Jager to Justin Van Zee; Dwayne De Jong to Steve & Tara Dekkers; Roger De Kruyf to Kevin Schutte; Walt den Hoed to Lauren Runia; Jarvis De Wild to Sos & Kara Maletoungou (For those wishing to send an email, addresses are in the directory, first page, under “Missionaries Supported”.)
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
9:30 AM Worship Service
10:45 AM Coffee fellowship in the basemen
6:00 PM Community Memorial Service at the Community Building
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
May 27, 2018
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL On this Trinity Sunday, as always, we worship in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. A nursery and quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
THIS MORNING we rejoice to hear the public profession of faith in Jesus Christ of Haley Driesen, Aimee Vanden Bosch and Anna Zomermaand.
THIS EVENING is the COMMUNITY MEMORIAL SERVICE at 6:00p at the Community Building. Pastors from our community will be leading the service. Join us as we give thanks to God for our nation as well as to those who gave their lives in the service of our country.
LAST SUNDAY the following were elected to the office of Elder: Roger De Kruyf, Dave Rozeboom and Daryl Wesselink, Those elected to the office of Deacon were: Ryan Bolkema, Dan Bonestroo, Ryan Fedders and Dan Poppema.
PASTOR LOREN will be on vacation from Tuesday, May 29, through Tuesday, June 5. He will be leaving for Synod on Wednesday, June 6, and returning on Friday, June 15. In case of a special need, contact your Care Group Elder.
PRAY FOR SYNOD as it meets in Grand Rapids, MI from June 7-14. Delegates from classis Heartland are Rev. Nathan Kuperus, Elder Harvey Obbink, Deacon Keith Boersma and Rev. Loren Kotman.
NEXT SUNDAY Rev. David Smit will lead our worship services. On June 10 Rev. Doug De Groot will lead our worship services.
BANQUET: Volunteers are still needed to serve the evening meal at the Banquet. Please sign up today if you are able to help. Donations toward the cost of the food may still be put in Karen’s mailbox.
VALET PARKING: The council has approved providing Valet Parking all year. This will start next Sunday, June 3. Those who are scheduled should find a substitute if they are unable to be there at their assigned time. This is for the AM and PM service. See the bulletin for the schedule.
VBS HELPERS: There will be a meeting for all VBS helpers on Thursday, May 31, at 7:00p at First Reformed Church. If you signed up to help, please be there to get your station assignment and class list. If you have any questions, please contact Rachel Bolkema, Ashley Hulstein, or Jessica Pollema.
PAINT SHIRT NEEDED FOR VBS: This year the kids attending VBS will need to bring a paint shirt along to use the entire week.
SUPPER SERVED: New this year is the addition of supper being served before VBS. Supper will be served Monday through Thursday, from 5:15-5:45p for the kids and volunteers. A freewill offering will be taken to help with expenses.
UPDATE FROM THE CHRISTIAN ED CORE COMMITTEE: We continue to make progress toward reaching our financial commitment for Christian Education for the 2018-2019 school year. At the beginning of the school year our church’s commitment through fair share and tuition was $368,500. Last month we reported a balance remaining to our schools of $126,000. Thanks to faithful giving the balance has been reduced to $92,000. Please prayerfully consider your support of the Christian Education Fund; with everyone’s help we believe we can fulfill our church’s commitment to our local Christian Schools!
RISE FEST is coming June 15 & 16 in Sheldon. See some of your favorite artists like Mercy Me, For King and Country, Crowder, Jeremy Camp, and more! Kids 10 and under are free. Tickets and information are available at www.riseministries.com.
CROSSROADS TEENS ENCOUNTER CHRIST (TEC) is accepting applications for the upcoming weekend at the First Reformed Church in Rock Rapids. TEC is an interdenominational three day Christian retreat designed to help high schoolers learn more about their faith and their community. The next TEC is June 22-24. If you would like to learn more about TEC or register, please visit www.CrossroadsTEC.com/apply or email CrossroadsTEC@gmail.com. The cost is $50 and includes a t-shirt and other special gifts. Scholarships are available upon request.
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Continue to pray for Florence Kroese as she recovers from a fall.
- Lisa Wiersma is grateful for your prayers as she continues with chemo treatment. Give thanks that the side effects to the treatment have been minimal.
- Continue to remember Heath & Kayla Stoker. They appreciate your prayers, cards, meals and notes of encouragement. If you would like to bring a meal, please contact Kayla about diet restrictions.
- Pray for our shut ins: Pleasant Acres: Sally De Groot, Florence Kroese, Melvin Van Otterloo; Aspen Heights: Joyce De Vries, Julianne Kats, Chuck & Darlene Kroese, Anthony Smit, Goldie Veldman; Fieldcrest in Sheldon: Verne Huisman, Esther Rozeboom: in her son’s home; Good Samaritan Society in George: Wilma Altena; Ardelle Westra: Sioux City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Heath Bonestroo injured his arm in a chain saw accident earlier this week. He underwent surgery to clean and repair the wound. Thankfully, no tendons or arteries were cut. We thank God that the accident was not more serious and we pray for continued healing.
- Trent Hulstein was able to return home after spending time in the hospital due to a virus that affected his liver function. He is getting better and we pray for continued healing.
- Phil Bosma, son of Dan and Julie Bosma, is doing much better after being diagnosed with viral meningitis. His sodium levels are returning to normal and he was able to return home from the hospital. Please pray for a steady recovery as he hopes to complete his master’s degree this spring.
- Joanne Buyert continues her recovery at Pleasant Acres. She hopes to return back to her apartment when she is able. Pray for continued healing.
- Wilma Heynen is undergoing more testing in order to find the most effective treatment. Recent tests will take two or three weeks to process. Please pray for clear answers, effective treatment, and complete healing.
- We continue to pray for strength and healing for Jemma Jean De Jong, daughter of Sarah and Todd De Jong, and granddaughter of Diana and Dave Kooima. Jemma will be preparing for another important surgery on June 7. Thanks for all your prayers! We pray this one will go as well as the last one!!
- We keep Cruise De Groot in prayer as he prepares for his deployment in June. We also pray for his healing. Cruise was recently diagnosed with mononucleosis.
- We remember our members who reside in care facilities: Marv Boon at Prairie Ridge Care Center in Orange City, and Evelyn Dykstra in Byron Center Manor in Byron Center, MI. We also pray for their families as they support them.
Bargain Alley Thrift Store will be accepting donations of clothing, furniture, toys, books, home décor, seasonal goods, hardware, linens, antiques/collectibles, jewelry, sporting goods, shoes and boots on May 31 & June 1 from 10a-4p at the northeast corner of the building. Do not leave items at the door when no one is in attendance.
INSPIRATION HILLS LADIES AUXILARY Memorial Day Summer Kick-Off & Auction is Mon., May 28th. The auction items available for viewing at 3:00p, Live auction at 3:30p, light supper from 4:30-6:00 (freewill). Greetings from camp staff at 6:00p & musical entertainment by The Klassen Family at 6:30p.
MEMORY LOSS SUPPORT GROUP will meet on Thursday, May 31, at 7:00p at Sanford-Sheldon Senior Care. The program will be sharing. Questions, call (712) 324-6467 or (712) 324-6470.
RODS N’ RIDES outdoor worship services are planned for the summer for motorcycle and classic car enthusiasts. On June 3 we will leave the Centre Mall parking lot in Sioux Center at 9:00a sharp for a 10:25a service at Sergeant Bluff. Everyone is welcome regardless of your mode of transportation.
HOPE HAVEN Annual Fishing Benefit at Lake Francis Case, Ft. Randall Dam is Fri., June 8, rain or shine. Registration fee is $60 and includes evening meal, entry gift, and eligibility for weigh-in prize categories. Registration due by June 7. Call Scott at 476-2820 or visit www.hopehaven.org.
HOPE HAVEN 23rd Annual Gospel Music Festival will be held at Central Park in Sioux Center on June 15&16 with continuous music from 1:00p-9:30p on Friday and from 11:00a-9:30p on Saturday. Currently 20 different groups from 5 states are scheduled to sing. This is a benefit for Hope Haven and freewill offerings will be taken each day. A lunch stand will be open both days. In case of inclement weather, the Music Festival will be held at the Rec Center on the campus of Dordt College.
KINGDOM BOUNDARIES Prison Aftercare Benefit Cook-Out at the Platte, SD CRC is Sat., June 9 from 5p-7:00p. Grilled meal with all the fixings (hamburgers, brats, beans and ice cream). The program will include a video explaining the ministry of Kingdom Boundaries Prison aftercare, resident testimonials and a ministry update. A freewill offering will be taken. RSVP to Gloria at 605-207-0096 or email email@example.com.
KINGDOM BOUNDARIES: On June 10 at 7:00p at the First Reformed Church in Rock Valley there will be testimonials, ministry update followed by a hymn sing/ice cream social. RSVP to Mark at 470-6662 with your favorite hymn and also how many are coming.
THE COLLINGSWORTH FAMILY will give a concert on Friday, June 29th, at Sioux Falls First Church (6300 W. 41st Street). Doors open at 6:00p and the concert begins at 7:00p. For tickets go to www.iTickets.com or call Corvex Productions at 605-359-7284. (See brochure on bulletin board.)
THE NEXT FAITH FELLOWSHIP is July 13-15. We would love to have you join us by attending all or part of the weekend. Please e-mail Jean Dyk at firstname.lastname@example.org. –Cornerstone Prison Church