May 6, 2018
MORNING WORSHIP SEVICE AT 9:30 A.M. –May 6 , 2018
Rev. Carl Klompien.…Minister
Preparation for worship: Newness is springing to life all around us! Thank you, God, that your divine resurrection is revealed here on earth.
GOD GATHERS HIS PEOPLE INTO HIS PRESENCE
*Call to Worship
*Opening Song: #249:1-3 “Holy, Holy, Holy! Lord God Almighty”
*God’s Greeting & Mutual Greeting
*Hymn of Praise: #428:1,3,5 “O Worship the King”
GOD RENEWS US IN HIS GRACE
Call to Confession
Prayer of Confession
Assurance of God’s Pardon
Hymn of Assurance: #498:1-3 “I Sought the Lord, and Afterward I Knew”
Offering: Building Fund
GOD SPEAKS TO US THROUGH HIS WORD
*Song of Preparation: #86:1,2,5 “Lord, My Petition Heed”
Prayer for Illumination
God’s Word Read: Psalm 51; Text: Matthew 5:8
God’s Word Proclaimed: “The Vision of a Pure Heart”
Prayer of Application
GOD SENDS US OUT TO DO HIS WILL
*Song of Response: #231:1-3 “How Great Is the Love of the Father”
*Doxology: #632 “To God Be the Glory”
(Please allow teachers/students to exit first)
*indicates congregation stand
organist…Connie Te Krony
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE:
GREETERS TODAY: Eldon & Lisa Van Schepen, Elder Dave & Kay Kroese
GREETERS NEXT SUNDAY: Justin & Sheila Van Schepen, Deacon Brian & Nicole Rozeboom
NURSERY TODAY: AM Julie Leusink, Bobbie Kroese, Talan De Yager, Makenna Fedders, Jakob Emerick; PM Matt Bosma Family
NURSERY NEXT SUNDAY: AM Cheryl Kats, Mary Leusink, Savannah Feenstra, Madison Emerick, Mitchell Fedders; PM Troy Bruxvoort Family
USHERS FOR MAY: Mike Grevengoed, Kevin Driesen, Kyle LeLoux, Rick Leusink
OFFERINGS: Today – Envelope receipts are for the church budget or for the cause(s) designated on your envelope. The loose offering is for AM Building Fund; PM Western Christian
COFFEE SERVERS TODAY: Dave & Vanessa TS NEXT WEEK: Kyle & Becca TS
POWER POINT TODAY: Shirley NEXT WEEK: AM Arlene; PM Jason/ Julie
SOUND SYSTEM TODAY: Ben NEXT SUNDAY: Rick
CORRESPONDENCE: Cody Bauer to Justin Van Zee; Harlyn Bolkema to Steve & Tara Dekkers; Kyle Bolkema to Kevin Schutte; John Bolkema to Lauren Runia; Ryan Bolkema to Sos & Kara Maletoungou (For those wishing to send an email, addresses are in the directory, first page, under “Missionaries Supported”.)
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
9:30 AM Worship Service
10:45 AM Coffee fellowship in the basement
10:45 AM Sunday School/Catechism Classes
10:45 AM Christian Ed Committee
6:00 PM Evening Service. Chamber Singers will be ministering to us through their music. This is a combined service with Hope CRC. Rev. Zuidema will bring God’s word. Refreshments will be served following the service. There will be No Children’s
Church this evening.
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
May 6, 2018
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth; break forth into joyous song (Psalm 98:4). Welcome as we join creation in worshipping God! A nursery and quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
THIS MORNING we welcome Pastor Klompien as he leads our worship service.
THE BEGINNERS through Kindergarten will be giving a short program for parents, grandparents, and friends in the sanctuary at 10:40a. Children may leave with their parents after the program.
SUNDAY SCHOOL/CATECHISM classes will meet today for the final meeting of the season. Thank you to all who gave their time willingly each Sunday morning to teach our children and young people God’s word.
THIS EVENING the Chamber Singers from Western will be ministering to us through their music. Rev. Zuidema will bring God’s word. There will be no Children’s Church this evening. Refreshments will be served.
PASTOR LOREN will be gone from Thursday, May 3, through Sunday, May 6. In case of a special need contact Rev. Klompien or your Care Group Elder.
LADIES who would like to help at JFA on Tues., May 8, meet in the upper parking lot at 12:45p to car pool.
CHOIR will meet next Sunday morning at 8:45a in the Youth Building.
NEXT SUNDAY MORNING we will commemorate Ascension Day.
BAPTISM: Next Sunday evening Dan & Lisa Poppema will present their son, Jaxson Darwin, for baptism. Lisa’s father, Rev. Tim Ouwinga, pastor of the CRC in Pipestone, Minnesota will administer the sacrament.
COLLEGE/CAREER singles Bible study will meet next week, May 13, at 7:15p in the Youth Building. This will be our last meeting for the season.
THE “SHARE” GROUP for widows & widowers will meet Thurs., May 17, at 6:00p at Homestead Commons. We will enjoy a potluck meal, so please bring your favorite dish to pass. Following supper, we will hear a presentation from Lori Vicker on The Orphan Train. Call Deanna Tiedeman (439-2229) or Pastor Aaron Deutsch (605-742-4469) with any questions.
PARENTS: If you have a son/daughter who is graduating from college/trade school this year and you did not get an information form for them in your mailbox, please call me at 439-1626, email me at email@example.com or put a note in my church mailbox. We will be honoring our graduates on Sunday morning, May 20th. Please return the forms to me as soon as possible. Also, be sure to let me know if you are not able to be here on May 20th.
COUNCIL NOMINATIONS: The following are nominated for Elder (vote for 6 and 3 will be elected): Arch Brummel, Roger De Kruyf, Kevin Driesen, Merlyn Kroese, Jim Oostenink, Dave Rozeboom, Rod Te Krony, Lee Van Grouw, Daryl Wesselink. The following are nominated for Deacon (vote for 8 and 4 will be elected): Ryan Bolkema, Dan Bonestroo, Matt Bosma, Troy Bruxvoort, Mitch Byl, Rick De Groot, Ryan Fedders, Andrew Hoekstra, Kyle Pollema, Dan Poppema, Nic Van Engen, Randy Westra. Voting will take place after the AM service on May 20 with the drawing of lots at the PM service on May 20.
BANQUET: We are scheduled to serve the evening meal on Wed., May 30th. We need 6-8 volunteers to help prepare the meal at 2:00p and 35-40 volunteers to help serve the meal. There is a signup sheet on the narthex table. We are also scheduled on the 30th for the evening chapel at 7:45p at the Gospel Mission. We are still in need of special music. Call Tim Kats at 712-578-9728 if you are willing to help.
BIBLE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL Spring Salad Luncheon is scheduled for Monday, May 7, at 11:30 at 1st CRC in Orange City. Learn about the work of the Bible League in Latin American and enjoy the music of the Siouxland Women’s Chorus. You are asked to bring a salad for every 2 people to share. Drinks provided. Please give this your prayerful consideration. It would be great to have a large group!
THANK YOU to everyone who graciously gave gifts for the grocery shower. We appreciate them greatly. What a blessing it is to be surrounded by such love, generosity and prayers as we begin our married life.
-Matt and Brandalyn Westra
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Florence Kroese was readmitted to the Sioux Center Hospital on Friday evening, April 27, with an infection and returned to Pleasant Acres on Tuesday. Pray for strength and healing.
- Jeanette Boogerd suffered a major stroke on Tuesday evening and was admitted to the Sioux Center Hospital. Pray that she would be comfortable.
- Lisa Wiersma begins chemo treatment the week of May 14. Pray for healing.
- Heath & Kayla Stoker are encouraged by Heath’s lab results being in the normal range and the positive results from chemo treatments. They appreciate your prayers, cards, meals and notes of encouragement. If you would like to bring a meal, please contact Kayla about diet restrictions.
- The surgeon was pleased with how surgery went for Shar Bonestroo’s mom on Tuesday. She continues to recover in the hospital. For more information go to: Caring Bridge Betty den Hoed.
- Continue to pray for Walt den Hoed as he recovers from surgery.
- We extend our Christian sympathy to Tress De Wit and family in the passing of her brother-in-law, Delvin Kuhl of Slayton, Minnesota on Wednesday, April 25 and to Julianne Kats and family in the passing of her brother-in-law, Albert Groeneweg also on Wednesday, April 25.
- Please pray for our Guatemala Mission team Val Brummel, LuAnn, Matt and Josh De Wild, Larry & Marcia Hoekstra, Gerald Jansen, and Jason Kats. Val & LuAnn will be returning on May 11th and the rest will be returning on May 8th. Pray for safe travel.
- Pray for our shut ins: Pleasant Acres: Sally De Groot, Florence Kroese, Melvin Van Otterloo; Aspen Heights: Joyce De Vries, Julianne Kats, Chuck & Darlene Kroese, Anthony Smit, Goldie Veldman; Fieldcrest in Sheldon: Verne Huisman, Esther Rozeboom: in her son’s home; Good Samaritan Society in George: Wilma Altena; Ardelle Westra: Sioux City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Joanne Buyert remains hospitalized, but is making slow and steady progress. Pray for continued healing.
- Wilma Heynen received a diagnosis of cancer this past week. She is undergoing tests to determine the type of cancer and what her options for treatment are. Please pray for clear answers, effective treatment, and complete healing.
- We pray for continued healing for Sandy Nielsen who is recovering from foot surgery.
- Janet De Groot, mother of Doug De Groot, continues her recovery from a broken leg. She remains in the hospital, but soon will be moving to a care facility where she will receive physical therapy and continue her healing. We pray for God’s strength and care.
- Marilyn Van Der Zwaag, mother of Cal Van Der Zwaag, continues her recovery at Pleasant Acres. Please pray for her continued healing.
- We continue to pray for strength and healing for Jemma Jean De Jong, daughter of Sarah and Todd De Jong, and grand-daughter of Diana and Dave Kooima. Jemma will be preparing for another important surgery later this spring.
- We keep Cruise De Groot in prayer, as he spends time between home and Nebraska, where he trains and prepares for his deployment with the US Army.
- We pray for many others who continue to recover from recent surgeries, illnesses, or treatments. We pray for peace, patience, and endurance.
- We remember our members who reside in care facilities: Marv Boon at Prairie Ridge Care Center in Orange City, and Evelyn Dykstra in Byron Center Manor in Byron Center, MI. We also pray for their families as they support them.
CLC Network, also known as the Christian Learning Center, is working to open their first regional office here in the Heartland! Their mission is to equip congregations and schools to glorify God through purposeful, innovative inclusion of persons with varied abilities. In order to launch successfully in Sept. 2018, they are seeking a local one-bedroom, furnished apartment or condo for their staff member. If you have ideas, please contact Sharon Ward at 616-245-8388 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Contributions to this regional office are welcome at clcnetwork.org/give.
Western will host its 96th commencement for 62 students on Tues., May 22, at 7:00p. The graduation speaker will be Rev. Todd Zuidema from Hope CRC. Members from the classes of 1948 & 1958 that are in attendance will also be recognized. Everyone is cordially invited to attend.
Western Music Dept. led by Darren Van’t Hul, Lyle Van Ravenswaay, and Ashley Wielenga will present their Spring Concert on Wed., May 16, at 7:00p in the Event Center at Western. It will be a night of enjoyable music by the Orchestra, Concert Band, Cantus and Concert Choir. Freewill offering will be taken.
MEMORY LOSS Support Group will be meeting on Wed., May 9, at 1:00p at Whispering Heights. This group is open to anyone who lives with or cares for someone affected by dementia of any kind. For more information, contact Melinda at 476-8214. New members are always welcome!
ATLAS of Sioux Center Community Auction will be Friday, May 11, at the New Life Reformed Church. Meal from 5:30-6:30 (pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, chips and cookies); and the auction from 6:30-9:00p. Raffle drawing for first time attendees. Family friendly! Kid’s activities and face painting.
SIOUXLAND HABITAT FOR HUMANITY is accepting partner family applications for our home ownership program for a future home in Hull. Are you or someone you know in need of a safe, decent and affordable placed to live? Application forms are available at the Hull City Office, Hull Library and online at http://siouxlandhabitat.org/our-programs/home-ownership/. Completed applications are due by May 16. If you are interested, contact Kurt Franje (712-476-2804) or email email@example.com.
SAVE THE DATES!: Kingdom Boundaries Prison Aftercare Benefit Cook-Out at the Platte, SD CRC on Sat., June 9; Old Fashion Hymn Sing/Ice Cream Social at the 1st Reformed Church in Rock Valley on Sunday, June 10, and Summer Concert on Sat., June 23, at New Day Church in Harrisburg, SD. More details coming later!