November 25, 2018
MORNING WORSHIP SERVICE AT 9:30 A.M. –November 25, 2018
Rev. Loren Kotman.…Minister Stewardship Sunday
Preparation for worship: “Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. They
will be a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck” Proverbs 1:8-9
GOD GATHERS AND GREETS US
*Responsive Call to Worship:
People: We praise you for creating this world in all beauty, for redeeming the world through Christ, our Lord, and for sending us the gift of your Spirit to encourage, instruct, and sustain us. We long for your spirit to work among us now, to inspire our praise, to challenge us with your truth, and to equip us for service in your world.
*Opening Hymn: #253:1,3,4 “Praise to the Lord, the Almighty” (vs. 4 with trumpet descant)
*God’s Greeting & Mutual Greeting
WE SEEK GOD’S WILL
God’s Will for Our Lives
Call to Confession
Prayer of Confession
Assurance of Pardon
Hymn of Assurance: 604:1-3 “I Then Shall Live” (Celebration Hymnal)
Promotion of Stewardship by Deacon Noah De Yager
Offering: 1. Christian Ed Fund; 2. The Banquet in Sioux Falls
GOD SPEAKS TO US THROUGH HIS WORD
*Song of Preparation: #876:1-3 “God, Whose Giving Knows No Ending” (LUYH)
Prayer of Illumination
God’s Word Read: Selected Verses from Proverbs
God’s Word Proclaimed: “Wise Up About Money”
Prayer of Application
WE RESPOND TO GOD
*Song of Response: SW#14 “More Precious than Silver” & SW#45 “Knowing You”
*Parting Hymn: #322:1 “God, the Father of Your People”
*indicates congregation stand
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE:
GREETERS TODAY: Rick & Tonya De Groot, Elder Roger & Fran De Kruyf
GREETERS NEXT SUNDAY: Brent & Amy De Jager, Deacon Dan & Lisa Poppema
NURSERY SUNDAY: AM Kate Bonestroo, Lindsey Pfingsten, Kirsten Grevengoed, Braeden Kats, Jaiden Bonestroo; PM Dan Fedders Family
NURSERY NEXT SUNDAY: AM Jana Rens, Bobbie Kroese, Jesse Ney, Traylie Vander Schaaf, Emma Westphal; PM Noah De Yager Family
USHERS FOR NOV .: Lynn Anderson, Scott Grevengoed, Jason Kats, Brody Pollema
USHERS FOR DEC.: Jay De Wit, John Emerick, Eric Rens, Justin Pollema
VALET PARKING NOV.: Nov. 25 Kyle Pollema, Bryce Veldman
VALET PARKING DEC.: Dec. 2: Cory De Wit, Tim Kats; Dec. 9: David Te Krony, Sam Scholten; Dec. 16: Andrew Hoekstra, Lynn Anderson; Dec. 23: Ryan Kroese, Colin Westra
OFFERINGS: Today – Envelope receipts are for the church budget or for the cause(s) designated on your envelope. The loose offering is for 1. Christian Ed. Fund; 2. The Banquet in Sioux Falls
OFFERING NEXT WEEK: 1. Mission Fund; 2. Kingdom Boundaries
COFFEE SERVERS TODAY: Harlyn & Linda B. NEXT WEEK: Dean & Steph Bonestroo
POWER POINT TODAY: AM Arlene; PM Jason/Kirk
SOUND SYSTEM TODAY: Joel NEXT SUNDAY: Ben
CORRESPONDENCE: Mitchell Byl to Justin Van Zee; Rick De Groot to Steve & Tara Dekkers; Brent De Jager to Kevin Schutte; Dwayne De Jong to Lauren Runia; Jean De Jong to Michael Ribbens; Roger De Kruyf to Sos & Kara Maletoungou (For those wishing to send an email, addresses are in the directory, first page, under “Missionaries Supported”.)
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
9:30 AM Worship Service
10:45 AM Coffee fellowship in the basement
6:00 PM Evening Service
7:30 PM Friendship Bible
9:55 AM Coffee Break at Hope CRC. Mark – Lesson 2
6:30 PM YPS – we will be going bowling in LeMars and will leave from the lower parking lot so meet in the church basement of church. We will be eating in LeMars.
6:45 PM Cadets – regular meeting. Deliver fundraiser items.
7:00 PM Mission Guild. Lesson 6. Opening Prayer: Shirley R.; Closing Prayer: Joyce V.W.
7:00 PM Men’s Society
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
Nov. 25, 2018
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL Welcome! Together, let us worship Christ our King, who is “robed in majesty” (Psalm 93:1). A nursery and quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
THIS EVENING we welcome Ben Wiersma as he leads our worship service. His message is from John 21 titled “Jesus Reinstates Peter”.
ANYONE INTERESTED in playing a prelude for the Christmas program, please contact Susan De Yager.
SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHERS: Please return your Sunday School attendance sheet to Don Krommendyk.
GEMS: Do you have extra canning rings you would like to get rid of? GEMS is doing a project during their December meeting that will turn those canning rings into ornaments. A box has been placed in the back of church for your canning rings.
LADIES/MEN who are able to help out at JFA on Tuesday, Nov. 27, meet in the upper parking lot at church at 12:45p to car pool.
OUR CHURCH is responsible for the service at Pleasant Acres on Thursday, Nov. 29, at 7:00p.
CHRISTIAN ED BAKE SALE is scheduled for Saturday, December 1 from 9:00a-2:00p in the Community Building. All families are requested to bring one or more items. Please label and price your baked goods according to the price guidelines placed in your mailbox and bring them to the community building between 7:45-9:00a on December 1 or to the church kitchen on Friday, Nov. 30. Thank you in advance for helping our church’s Christian Ed Fund!
CONGREGATIONAL MEETING will be held on Monday, Dec. 3 at 7:00p.
ADVANCE NOTICE: Ladies are invited to help make fudge for prisoners in the church kitchen on Saturday, December 15, at 8:00a. Please bring a 9”x13” pan. All other supplies will be furnished.
THANK YOU to those who filled a box for Operation Christmas Child. Our church filled 46 boxes which were delivered to Sioux Center on Friday morning. Thank You also to those who did Christmas Cards for prisoners. Two boxes were sent from our church. Thanks again for participating in these two projects!
THANK YOU: I would like to thank all of you for your prayers, cards, food, and words of encouragement. Thanks to Pastor Kotman and many others for your visits and calls, and above all thanks to God for healing. There continues to be slow improvement. I am very thankful for my church family and all your support.
F STEET NEIGHBORHOOD CHURCH in Lincoln, NE is looking for volunteers to help with updating a building to be used as a Thrift Store. We are looking for groups/individuals who might be interested in coming to Lincoln for a weekend or mid-week work trip. Call Jeff Heerspink at 402-805-2667 or email: fstreetchurch.org with any questions.
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- We extend our Christian sympathy to Nelva & Pete Pollema in the passing of Nelva’s brother, Jim De Kam, of Rock Valley on Monday. May God comfort them in their sorrow. Visitation with the family will be on Sunday at Porter Funeral Home and the funeral will be Monday at URC in Doon.
- Duane Vande Griend finished radiation treatment on Monday, but continues with his regular cancer therapy. Pray for better health. Also remember Duane’s father, Ed Vande Griend, a former member, in Sanford Hospital in Sioux Falls with cancer.
- Prayers are requested for Val Brummel in Guatemala. She is serving as Camp Director for Hope Haven’s Camp for people with disabilities in Chimaltenango. Val left November 8 and will return December 1.
- Give thanks for the progress made for Marilyn Grevengoed. Continue to remember her as she recovers.
- Continue to remember Heath & Kayla Stoker in your prayers.
- Give thanks that Lisa Wiersma’s pathology report revealed no cancer. She will begin radiation at a later date.
- Continue to remember Matt & LuAnn DeWild in your prayers. They will be staying at least through December 10 for more extensive therapy for Matt.
- Continue to remember Esther Rozeboom in your prayers as she has a lot of pain due to a compression fracture in her back which cannot be treated with medication or surgery. Pray for relief from the pain and for healing. She appreciates phone calls and visits.
- Pray for our shut ins: PA: Sally De Groot, Florence Kroese; Aspen Heights: Joyce De Vries, Julianne Kats, Harry Klay, Chuck & Darlene Kroese, Goldie Veldman; Fieldcrest in Sheldon: Verne Huisman, Esther Rozeboom: in her son’s home; Good Samaritan Society in George: Wilma Altena; Ardelle Westra: S. City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Wilma Heynen was able to return to her home this past Monday. She is now under the care of hospice. We pray that she will be able to rest comfortably. We pray for her husband, Bill, and the entire Heynen family.
- We continue to pray for Nathan Bakker as he recovers from back surgery
- Cody Bauer underwent back surgery this past week and continues his recovery at home. We pray for healing and relief from pain.
- Zakiah Van Der Zwaag underwent a liver biopsy this past Wednesday. We pray that the tests will give clear answers and provide the information needed for effective treatment for his liver condition. We pray for healing and peace.
- Cruise De Groot continues his deployment to the Middle East. Cruise’s address has changed, and his parents will provide his address if you’d like to send him a note. You may also message him through Facebook. Please pray for his safety and encouragement.
- We remember our members who reside in care facilities: Marv Boon at Prairie Ridge Care Center in Orange City, Grace Dykstra at Pleasant Acres, and Evelyn Dykstra in Byron Center Manor in Byron Center, MI. We also remember those who reside at home but aren’t able to join us from week to week. We also pray for their families as they support them.
The Western Christian FFA Chapter will be hosting an appreciation supper for all area ag producers. All ag producers are invited to come Thursday, Nov. 29, from 5:30-7:00p to the cafeteria at Western Christian. FFA members will be grilling burgers and serving all the fixings to go with those burgers. It’s the Western Christian FFA way of celebration and thanksgiving for another harvest.
Western Christian Music Department invites all to celebrate Christmas by attending the Western Choral and Instrumental Christmas Concert on Monday, December 10, at 7:00p in the Event Center at Western. All the choral and instrumental groups at Western will be performing and celebrating in music the birth of our Lord and Savior.
MEMORY LOSS Support Group Holiday Open House on Thursday, Nov. 29, from 4:00-5:00p at Sanford Sheldon Care Center. Enjoy some holiday treats and we will have resources available for you to take home to help you navigate the holidays as a caregiver to your loved one with memory loss.
HOPE HAVEN INTERNATIONAL MINISTRIES presents “Rejoice!” featuring Nashville recording artist Jill Miller on Thursday, Nov. 29, at 7:30p at the BJ Haan Auditorium at Dordt. Tickets are $15 and a limited number of VIP tickets are available for $25 each. The VIP Meet & Greet begins at 6:00p in the Terrace Room at the Dordt Student Center. VIP tickets are only sold at Hope Haven. Tickets are on sale at Peoples Bank in Rock Valley, American State Bank in Sioux Center and Iowa State Bank in Orange City. Tickets may also be purchased at Rock Valley, Sioux Center and Orange City Christian schools and at Hope Haven. The Christmas concert will also feature a choir made up of students from Rock Valley, Orange City and Sioux Center Christian Schools. Proceeds will go towards funding wheelchair sponsorships for an upcoming distribution trip in 2019.
THE ANNUAL NORTHWESTERN College Christmas Vespers will be given on Sat., Dec. 1, at 7:00p and Sunday, Dec. 2, at 3:00p at Christ Chapel in Orange City. Come to this meaningful service of scripture and music presented by the choirs, orchestra, and brass ensemble, along with organ solos, and carols for the audience singing.
DORDT Campus-Community Band, Chamber Orchestra, and Concert Band will present a concert on Fri., Dec. 7, at 7:30p in the Dordt Auditorium. This concert of praise & celebration will feature a variety of selections.
THE LOVE INC Heart of Christmas Event is scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 8, from 9:30-11:00a in the FLC at Faith Reformed Church in Rock Valley. This will be a family event which involves various fun activities such as cookie decorating, presentation of the Christmas story, hot chocolate and snacks, and the opportunity for families to receive a keepsake Christian Christmas book. The families who participate in the Christmas gift program will also receive their gifts on this day. We need volunteers to help at the various stations with the children and with set up/clean up. This is a new project for Love INC and our goal is to focus on the gift of Jesus Christ and family rather than simply on tangible gifts. Thank you in advance for your support!
THE LOVE INC Christmas trees will be located in Rock Valley at M&H True Value and in Hull at the Pizza Ranch again this year. The timeline will be a bit sooner as we are planning a family event on December 8th and want to distribute the gifts that day. Look for the trees with hearts on them already by November 19. Please limit your spending to $25 and only purchase the item listed on the tag as each child will receive one gift. Gifts should be wrapped and returned to the trees with the original heart tag attached no later than December 4th.
THE NWIOWA SYMPHONY YOUTH ORCHESTRA, led by Dr. Angela Holt, will present its Fall Concert on Sat., Dec. 8, at 3:00p in the Dordt Auditorium. Consisting of talented middle school and high school string players, NISYO will perform works by Dvorak, Bohm, Plante and Stamitz as well as string arrangements from the PBS Series “The Civil War” and a traditional Christmas carol. The concert is free and open to the public.
JFA Ministry dates: Jan. 18-26 Harvest Hands Ministries, Juarez, MX; Feb. 9-16 JVM Perkins, Jackson, MS; Feb. 17-23 Voice of Calvary, Jackson, MS; March 16-23 Grace Reigns, Colorado City, UT. Call Luke Grooters at JFA 476-2804 or email email@example.com for more information.