September 16, 2018
MORNING WORSHIP SEVICE AT 9:30 A.M. –September 16, 2018
Rev. Loren Kotman.…Minister
Preparation for worship: “I lift up my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.” Ps. 121:1,2
COMING INTO GOD’S PRESENCE
*Call to Worship
*God’s Greeting & Mutual Greeting
*Opening Song: #253:1,2,4 “Praise to the Lord, the Almighty”
CONFESSING BEFORE GOD
God’s Will for Our Lives
Call to Confession
Song of Confession: #264:2-4 “Lord, I Want to Be a Christian”
Assurance of God’s Pardon: Romans 5:1-2
Offering: Cadets & GEMS
Offertory: First CRC Orchestra - “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing”
Presentation by Pastor Justin Van Zee
HEARING GOD’S WORD
*Song of Preparation: #278:1,2 “Holy Spirit, Mighty God”
Prayer of Illumination
God’s Word Read: Psalm 127
God’s Word Proclaimed: “Raising G Rated Kids in an R Rated World” - Part 1
Prayer of Application
*Song of Response: #451:1-4 “A Christian Home” (Celebration Hymnal)
SERVING IN THE NAME OF THE LORD
Commissioning Litany (on PPT and on the insert)
*Parting Song: #316:1-3 “God Be with You Till We Meet Again”
(please allow teachers/students to exit first)
*indicates congregation stand
organist…Connie Te Krony
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE:
GREETERS TODAY: Eric & Michelle Zomermaand, Deacon Dave & Sherry Van’t Hul
GREETERS NEXT SUNDAY: Sean & Stephanie Baccam, Elder Dave & Kay Kroese
NURSERY SUNDAY: AM Shar Bonestroo, Connie Grevengoed, Ashley Fedders, Sawyer Rozeboom, Dylan Zomermaand; PM Jake Ney Family
NURSERY NEXT SUNDAY: AM Steph Bonestroo, Dana Fedders, Trailie Vander Schaaf, Ethan Ney, Logan Baccam; PM Rick Leusink Family
USHERS FOR SEPT.: Ted Salazar, Dan Fedders, Alex Westra, Travis Grevengoed
VALET PARKING FOR SEPT.: Sept. 16: Cory De Wit, Jason Kats; Sept. 23 Andrew Hoekstra, Zach Mouw; Sept. 30: Grant Vanden Bosch, Ben Van’t Hul
OFFERINGS: Today – Envelope receipts are for the church budget or for the cause(s) designated on your envelope. The loose offering is for the Cadets & GEMS
OFFERING NEXT WEEK: Sioux Falls Gospel Mission
COFFEE SERVERS TODAY: Dave & Sherry Van’t Hul
COFFEE SERVERS NEXT WEEK: Daryl & Marvella Van Wyhe
POWER POINT TODAY: Shirley NEXT WEEK: AM Arlene; PM Jason/Julie
SOUND SYSTEM TODAY: Cody SOUND SYSTEM NEXT SUNDAY: Joel
CORRESPONDENCE: Dave Te Slaa to Justin Van Zee; Justin Te Slaa to Steve & Tara Dekkers; Ella Mae Vande Burgt to Kevin Schutte; Rog Tiedeman to Lauren Runia; Dave Vande Griend to Sos & Kara Maletoungou (For those wishing to send an email, addresses are in the directory, first page, under “Missionaries Supported”.)
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
9:30 AM Worship Service
10:45 AM Coffee fellowship in the basement
10:45 AM Sunday School/Catechism classes will meet
6:00 PM Evening Service followed by refreshments in the church basement
7:00 PM Christian Fellowship Kick-Off Supper in the Youth Building
6:30 PM GEMS at Hope CRC
10:00 AM Coffee Break at Hope CRC
6:30 PM YPS Kick-Off – Supper and games
7:00 PM Mission Guild. Lesson 1 “Prayer” Opening Prayer: Eleanor F.; Closing Prayer: Peg V.
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
September 9, 2018
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL Welcome to worship and the start of a new year of Christian education. May all who gather here know God’s love. A nursery and quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
SUNDAY SCHOOL/CATECHISM classes begin today. Room assignments are listed in the bulletin insert.
TODAY WE WELCOME Rev. Justin Van Zee. He will give a greeting and update in the morning service and lead the evening service. The evening service will be followed by a time of coffee and fellowship.
THE EVENING SERVICE will be on Channel 77 but will not be online.
ADULT SUNDAY SCHOOL will begin meeting next Sunday, September 23rd. Adults of all ages are invited to attend after the morning worship service in the council room. Any questions, contact Evan Wielenga.
NEXT SUNDAY EVENING Sos & Kara Maletoungou will give us an update at the end of the service. The service will be followed by a time of coffee and fellowship.
HULL GEMS will kick off their season Monday, Sept. 17, with registration at 6:30p at Hope CRC and will go until 8:30p. All girls in 2nd through 8th grade are invited to attend. For more information contact Karinda de Boom at firstname.lastname@example.org or (605) 321-1038.
WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 19, the Hull Community Coffee Break will begin from 10:00-11:00 at the Hope CRC. A nursery is provided for infants-2years and a Story Hour for 3-5 year olds. Our first week is a “get to know you social” and if you don’t already have a study book of Discover Colossians, you can pick one up then. Call Bev Altena at 439-2464 or email email@example.com if you need more information or would like to register. Hope to see you this Wednesday!
THE BEREAN SOCIETY will be having their first meeting on Wednesday, September 26, at 2:00p. We will be studying a book on Jesus. New comers are very welcome!
THE VALLEY MALE CHORUS is currently seeking new members to join the Chorus this Fall for their 46th season. The Valley Male Chorus is also actively searching for a new director. If you are interested in either position, please contact Ron Boote at 712-441-5225.
THE SHARE GROUP for widows/widowers will meet Thurs., Sept. 20, at 6:00p at Homestead Commons. We will enjoy hamburgers on the grill and sides for supper. You are encouraged to bring along $5 to help cover the cost of our meal. Pie will be served for dessert. Call Deanna Tiedeman (439-2229) with any questions.
MEMBERSHIP TRANSFER: The communicant membership of Courtni (Wesselink) Bootsma was transferred, at her request, to Bethel CRC in Sioux Center. We wish her God’s blessing in her new church home.
OFFERING AMOUNTS FOR AUG.:
General Fund: $19,040.12 Building Fund: $1,315.00 Bethany: $481.00 Hull Food Pantry: $880.00
Benevolent: 605.00 Mission Fund: 852.00 Hull Sack Pack: 255.00 Family Crisis (car): 423.00
Family Crisis:(Aug 5) 481.00
MINUTES OF SEPT. COUNCIL:
- Our church is responsible for the service at the Gospel Mission on Oct. 31. Care Groups 7&8 in charge of
providing piano player and special music.
- Mark Hoekstra from Talking Bibles will be coming the evening of October 21.
- Cornerstone Prison Ministries September 28.
- Sos & Kara Maletoungou will be here Sept. 23 to discuss their work.
- Rev. Justin Van Zee will be in our church on Sept. 16.
- The Sunday School Christmas program will be held December 9 at 3:00p.
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- Continue to remember Duane Vande Griend as he recovers from his recent surgery. Duane is grateful for all your prayers and well wishes.
- Matt De Wild had a really good week. He got the feeding tube and trach removed. He continues to gain strength. Pray for patience and that Matt might regain feeling in his legs. Pray for strength for LuAnn and wisdom for the future.
- Give thanks with Vell Keizer for the healing that she is experiencing from her surgery. Continue to pray for a complete recovery.
- Faye Kroese has been diagnosed with West Nile and viral meningitis. Pray for strength and healing. Please call before visiting.
- Heath Stoker is still hospitalized for an extended period of time in Sioux Falls for his stem cell transplant. There is very limited visitation due to no immune system. They would like to thank the entire congregation for their support, especially through the grocery shower. Please keep Heath and Kayla in your prayers as they continue to go through this journey.
- Lisa Wiersma has one treatment left in her second round of chemo. Continue to pray for minimal side effects and for healing.
- Give thanks that Donna Rens continues to recover from her recent surgery. She’s grateful for your prayers.
- Continue to remember Jacoba Rens in your prayers. Pray for better health.
- Pray for Al Rens as he is scheduled for back surgery on Tuesday at Avera.
- Pray for our shut ins: Pleasant Acres: Sally De Groot, Florence Kroese; Aspen Heights: Joyce De Vries, Julianne Kats, Chuck & Darlene Kroese, Goldie Veldman; Fieldcrest in Sheldon: Verne Huisman, Esther Rozeboom: in her son’s home; Good Samaritan Society in George: Wilma Altena; Ardelle Westra: Sioux City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- We keep Wilma Heynen in our prayers as she prepares for a new round of treatment. We pray for God’s encouragement and healing mercies.
- We pray for those who continue their recoveries from recent surgeries.
- Cruise De Groot continues his deployment to the Middle East. Cruise’s parents will provide his address if you’d like to send him a note. You may also message him through Facebook. Please pray for his safety and encouragement.
- We remember our members who reside in care facilities: Marv Boon at Prairie Ridge Care Center in Orange City, Grace Dykstra at Pleasant Acres, and Evelyn Dykstra in Byron Center Manor in Byron Center, MI. We also remember those who reside at home but aren’t able to join us from week to week. We also pray for their families as they support them.
HCS Rally Day Sale Sat., Sept. 22. Meal served from 5-6:30p and includes pulled pork sandwiches or hot dogs, a variety of salads, chips & desserts. The sale begins at 6:30p. Certificates, meat & tickets for the tuition voucher available at the pre-sale table beginning at 3:00p. Items will be on our website – hullchristian.com! Please like/share the HCS Rally Day Sale Facebook Page to see items being added to the sale.
WCHS Faithpacks are looking for service projects. They will be working in Hull and surrounding communities on Friday, Oct. 12 for our annual Stewardship Day. (Rain date is Oct. 19.) Western Faithpacks have a faculty leader and 13-14 students in each group. De you know of an individual or an organization that could use some help with a project? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com with details and ideas or call the school (712) 439-1013.
All are invited to the Friends of Western Banquet on Thurs., Oct. 11, at 5:30p. The cost per meal is $10. Orlin Te Slaa, a 1976 graduate of Western, will share some of his thoughts about Christian education. There will be a recital by MaryLou Wielenga on the new Steinway Grand Piano donated to Western. Please RSVP at 439-1013 or firstname.lastname@example.org before Oct. 8 to make your reservation.
DORDT HONORS RECITAL will take place on Friday, Sept. 21, at 3:00p in the Auditorium. Performers in the honors recital have all received named music scholarships made possible by Dordt donors. All are welcome to a reception honoring the performers in the lobby of the auditorium following the recital.
DORDT’S annual Instrumental Pops Concert showcasing the Chamber Orchestra and Combined Band will perform “On with the Show!” at 7:00p on Friday, Sept. 21, in the Auditorium.
ASK IN MY NAME Prayer Conference with Pastor Josh Doorenbos at the American Ref. Church on Sat., Oct. 6, from 9a-4p. Join us for a day of exploring the promises of God in prayer and taking that next step toward developing the vital prayer life we all so desperately need. Lunch will be served. To register for this free conference email Pastor Steve Bierly at email@example.com or call 439-1719 and leave a message if there is no answer. Registration deadline: September 29.
JFA invites you to attend the Fall Banquet & Annual Society Meeting on Tues., Oct. 9, at 6:30p at Faith Ref. Church in Rock Valley. Special guests will be Mike & Dawn Menning with Great Commission Utah. They will share about their great work in Utah. There will also be a short business meeting. Reservations for the meal are necessary and can be made by calling 476-2804 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org by Oct. 5.
1ST ANNUAL NISO SOUP & BREAD COOK-OFF! Sat., Oct 13, at 5:30p at The Ridge in Sioux Center. RSVP to email@example.com or Nancy Vermeer at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are willing to make soup or bread (deadline is Sept. 22; for rules see http://niso.dordt.edu), OR if you would like to attend, tickets are $25 per person. (RSVP by Oct. 4 to email@example.com or Nancy Vermeer at firstname.lastname@example.org). Come for an evening of great food, enjoyable music, and succulent wines from Bon Croix Vineyard.
REGISTRATION is now open for the weekend with the Shepards! Speakers: Rev. Walt and Valerie Shepard (daughter of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot). Come to Orange City November 2-3!! See the flyer on the bulletin board in the back of church for more information. Register online at www.shepards.eventbrite.com or purchase discounted tickets at Radio Shack in Sheldon, Rock Valley or Orange City. Email questions to email@example.com. Hope to see you there!