September 23, 2018
MORNING WORSHIP SEVICE AT 9:30 A.M. –September 23, 2018
Rev. Loren Kotman.…Minister
Preparation for worship: Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God
will be with you to keep you from sinning.” Exodus 20:20
WE ENTER INTO GOD’S PRESENCE
*Call to Worship
*Opening Hymn: SW#10:1,2 “Shout to the Lord”
*God’s Greeting & Mutual Greeting
WE ARE REMINDED OF GOD’S GRACE
Prayer of Confession
Prayer of Commitment: #291:1-5 “May the Mind of Christ, My Savior”
Our Commitment to Holy Living
Offering: Sioux Falls Gospel Mission
WE HEAR GOD’S WORD
*Hymn of Preparation: SW#44:1,2 “Let It Be Said Of Us”
Prayer of Illumination
God’s Word Read: Deuteronomy 6
God’s Word Proclaimed: “Raising G-Rated Kids in a R-Rated World” Part 2
Prayer of Application
*Hymn of Response: #588:1-3 “Tell Your Children”
WE LIVE FOR GOD
*Parting Song: #320:1-2 “Lord, Dismiss Us with Your Blessing”
*indicates congregation stand
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE:
GREETERS TODAY: Sean & Stephanie Baccam, Elder Dave & Kay Kroese
GREETERS NEXT SUNDAY: Cody & Kathy Bauer, Deacon Terry & DeeAnn Jansma
NURSERY SUNDAY: AM Steph Bonestroo, Dana Fedders, Trailie Vander Schaaf, Ethan Ney, Logan Baccam; PM Rick Leusink Family
NURSERY NEXT SUNDAY: AM Sheila Van Schepen, Amy Emerick, Braden Baccam, Haley Wielenga, Cory Ney; PM Brian Rozeboom Family
USHERS FOR SEPT.: Ted Salazar, Dan Fedders, Alex Westra, Travis Grevengoed
VALET PARKING FOR SEPT.: Sept. 23: Andrew Hoekstra, Zach Mouw; Sept. 30: Grant Vanden Bosch, Ben Van’t Hul
OFFERINGS: Today – Envelope receipts are for the church budget or for the cause(s) designated on your envelope. The loose offering is for the Sioux Falls Gospel Mission
OFFERING NEXT WEEK: 1. Benevolence; 2. Kid’s Club
COFFEE SERVERS TODAY: Daryl & Marvella Van Wyhe
COFFEE SERVERS NEXT WEEK: Travis & Brittany Veldman
POWER POINT TODAY: AM Arlene; PM Jason/Julie NEXT WEEK: Julie/Tonya
SOUND SYSTEM TODAY: Joel NEXT SUNDAY: Rick
CORRESPONDENCE: Dennis Vande Griend to Justin Van Zee; Duane Vande Griend to Steve & Tara Dekkers; Joyce Vande Griend to Kevin Schutte; Greg Vanden Bosch to Lauren Runia; Lawrence Vander Esch to Sos & Kara Maletoungou (For those wishing to send an email, addresses are in the directory, first page, under “Missionaries Supported”.)
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
9:30 AM Worship Service
10:45 AM Coffee fellowship in the basement
10:45 AM Sunday School/Catechism Classes
10:45 AM Adult Sunday School in the Council Room
6:00 PM Evening Service followed by refreshments in the basement
2:00 PM Bereans – we will be studying a book on Jesus. New members welcome!
6:45 PM Cadet Kickoff – meet at the clubhouse. Uniform is not required.
7:00 PM Music & Worship Committee Meeting
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
September 23, 2018
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL God has showered us with love, and we respond by uniting in worship. Welcome, one and all! A nursery and quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
THIS EVENING Sos & Kara Maletoungou will give us an update on their work. A time of coffee and fellowship will be held after the service.
ADULT SUNDAY SCHOOL begins today. Adults of all ages are invited to attend after the morning service. We will meet in the Council room.
NEXT SUNDAY Kovey Jay Bonestroo, infant son of Devin and Kate, will receive the sacrament of baptism.
LADIES & MEN who would like to help at JFA on Tues., Sept. 25, meet in the upper church parking lot at 12:45p to car pool.
CADETS will meet on Wed., Sept. 26, at the clubhouse at 6:45p for our kickoff meeting. We have a GPS geocaching course set up followed by roasting marshmallows. Parents, you may pick up your boy(s) at 8:30p.
THANK YOU to my wonderful husband, family, church family, my care group for the beautiful plant, friends that took care of me with delicious food, prayers, texts, phone calls, cards, visits, and well wishes before and after my back surgery. I have been so blessed that my surgery went so well and my recovery time also went very quickly. The pain I experienced for many months before my surgery is now gone and I feel the strength in my legs has also returned. Continue to pray for me that the healing continues and I will feel strong again very soon. Thank you to Pastor Kotman and Norma for their visit and many prayers!! God is good!!! –Vell Keizer
FOSTER GRANDPARENT PROGRAM: Would you like to make a difference in the lives of children? If you are 55 or better, the FGP would love to help you get started! Volunteer benefits may be available. Foster Grandparent volunteers impact their local communities while assisting students at local schools and non-profit daycares. For more information, call the Foster Grandparent office at 476-2628 or view their website at www.rvrseniorvolunteerprograms.org. SENIOR COMPANION PROGRAM: Would you like to make a difference for other adults in the Hull Area? If you are 55 or better the Senior Program would love to help you get started! Volunteer benefits may be available. Senior Companion volunteers work with adults one-on-one to help them maintain their independence in their own homes through visiting and assistance. Be that friend and companion to someone who can use your support to improve their quality of life. For more information, call 476-012628 or view the website listed above.
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- We extend our Christian sympathy to all who mourn the passing of Grace Hartog last week. She was the grandmother of Sara and Mark Sandbulte, and the sister of Duck Lokhorst and Esther Rozeboom.
- Heather Stoker came home on Tuesday. Still dealing with chemo side effects and will need to be in “isolation” for 100 days. Please keep Heath and Kayla in your prayers as they adjust to a new normal.
- Continue to remember Duane Vande Griend as he recovers from his recent surgery. Pray for him as radiation will begin next week on his right thigh.
- Matt De Wild had a busy week. He continues to improve. Matt, LuAnn and Josh are grateful for your prayers. Matt’s address is: Room 424, Craig Hospital, 3425 South Clarkson St., Englewood, CO 80113.
- Faye Kroese has started physical therapy to deal with the side effects from West Nile. Pray for strength and healing. Please call before visiting. Texting is very difficult for Faye.
- Russ Vander Schaaf had outpatient hernia surgery on Thursday at the VA Hospital. Pray for healing.
- Darla Van’t Hul had knee scope surgery on Thursday. Pray for healing.
- Doctors at the Heart Hospital in Sioux Falls have ruled out an infection and a blood clot for Lisa Wiersma. A sonogram of the heart revealed a mass. Lisa is being referred to Mayo Clinic. Pray for a good report. Pray for peace of mind.
- Give thanks that Donna Rens continues to recover from her recent surgery. She’s grateful for your prayers.
- Pray for Al Rens as he recovers from Tuesday’s back surgery.
- Pray for our shut ins: Pleasant Acres: Sally De Groot, Florence Kroese; Aspen Heights: Joyce De Vries, Julianne Kats, Chuck & Darlene Kroese, Goldie Veldman; Fieldcrest in Sheldon: Verne Huisman, Esther Rozeboom: in her son’s home; Good Samaritan Society in George: Wilma Altena; Ardelle Westra: Sioux City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- We express our Christian sympathy to Chris & Megan Raman and family in the passing of Megan’s grandmother, Marian Groeneweg, 91, of Rock Valley. She died on Friday, Sept. 14, and her funeral was held this past Tuesday. We pray for the Lord’s continued comfort and renewed hope in God’s resurrection promise.
- We keep Wilma Heynen in our prayers as she receives radiation treatment. We pray for God’s encouragement and healing mercies.
- We pray for those who continue their recoveries from recent surgeries.
- Cruise De Groot continues his deployment to the Middle East. Cruise’s parents will provide his address if you’d like to send him a note. You may also message him through Facebook. Please pray for his safety and encouragement.
- We remember our members who reside in care facilities: Marv Boon at Prairie Ridge Care Center in Orange City, Grace Dykstra at Pleasant Acres, and Evelyn Dykstra in Byron Center Manor in Byron Center, MI. We also remember those who reside at home but aren’t able to join us from week to week. We also pray for their families as they support them.
WCHS Faithpacks are looking for service projects. They will be working in Hull and surrounding communities on Friday, Oct. 12 for our annual Stewardship Day. (Rain date is Oct. 19.) Western Faithpacks have a faculty leader and 13-14 students in each group. De you know of an individual or an organization that could use some help with a project? Please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org with details and ideas or call the school (712) 439-1013.
All are invited to the Friends of Western Banquet on Thurs., Oct. 11, at 5:30p. The cost per meal is $10. Orlin Te Slaa, a 1976 graduate of Western, will share some of his thoughts about Christian education. There will be a recital by MaryLou Wielenga on the new Steinway Grand Piano donated to Western. Please RSVP at 439-1013 or email@example.com before Oct. 8 to make your reservation.
MEMORY LOSS SUPPORT GROUP will meet on Thursday, September 27, at 7:00p at Sanford Sheldon Senior Care. The program will be sharing. We want to encourage family and friends of people with dementia to attend. Questions, call (712) 324-6467 or 324-6470.
ASK IN MY NAME Prayer Conference with Pastor Josh Doorenbos at the American Ref. Church on Sat., Oct. 6, from 9a-4p. Join us for a day of exploring the promises of God in prayer and taking that next step toward developing the vital prayer life we all so desperately need. Lunch will be served. To register for this free conference email Pastor Steve Bierly at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 439-1719 and leave a message if there is no answer. Registration deadline: September 29.
JFA invites you to attend the Fall Banquet & Annual Society Meeting on Tues., Oct. 9, at 6:30p at Faith Ref. Church in Rock Valley. Special guests will be Mike & Dawn Menning with Great Commission Utah. They will share about their great work in Utah. There will also be a short business meeting. Reservations for the meal are necessary and can be made by calling 476-2804 or emailing email@example.com by Oct. 5.
1ST ANNUAL NISO SOUP & BREAD COOK-OFF! Sat., Oct 13, at 5:30p at The Ridge in Sioux Center. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or Nancy Vermeer at email@example.com if you are willing to make soup or bread (deadline is Sept. 22; for rules see http://niso.dordt.edu), OR if you would like to attend, tickets are $25 per person. (RSVP by Oct. 4 to firstname.lastname@example.org or Nancy Vermeer at email@example.com). Come for an evening of great food, enjoyable music, and succulent wines from Bon Croix Vineyard.
1ST FALL INSPIRATION HILLS AUCTION will be held on Friday, Oct. 26! The proceeds will go toward the kitchen remodel. Come for the fellowship, food, and amazing items. The doors open at 6:00p when you can look over the donated items and enjoy soup and dessert. The auction begins at 7:00p. We are looking for larger items such as dinners, tickets, outings, meat bundles – whatever you can think of. Smaller items and homemade goodies are also welcome! We will combine them to make some awesome baskets! If you would like to donate items, please contact Dave Heilman at 712-360-0140.
REGISTRATION is now open for the weekend with the Shepards! Speakers: Rev. Walt and Valerie Shepard (daughter of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot). Come to Orange City November 2-3!! See the flyer on the bulletin board in the back of church for more information. Register online at www.shepards.eventbrite.com or purchase discounted tickets at Radio Shack in Sheldon, Rock Valley or Orange City. Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Hope to see you there!
SAVE THE DATE! The Fourth Annual Kingdom Boundaries Prison Aftercare Banquet will be held on Monday, October 29, from 5:30-8:00p at the Carmel Reformed Church in rural Rock Valley.