MORNING WORSHIP SERVICE AT 9:30 A.M. – December 29, 2013
Rev. Loren Kotman…. Minister
Preparation for Worship: “On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother, Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh.” Matthew 2:11
WE GATHER TO WORSHIP THE KING
Prelude: Fanfare on “From Heaven Above to Earth I Come” (#339) -Bach
& Variations on “How Bright Appears the Morning Star” (#357) -Burkhardt
Call to Worship: “Arise, shine, for your light has come! The glory of the Lord has risen upon us. Let us praise the Lord together. The sun shall no longer be our light by day, nor will the brightness of the moon shine on us, for the Lord will be our light, and our God will be our glory”.
*God’s Greeting & Mutual Greeting
(Please feel free to greet those around you with words and a handshake or simply a smile)
*Songs of Praise: #337:1,2,4 “Joy to the World! The Lord Is Come” (stanza 4 in unison) INTERLUDE
& SW#19:1-4 “We Will Glorify”
WE KNEEL BEFORE THE KING
Law of God
Call to Confession: “The light has come into the world, and people loved darkness rather than light because their deeds were evil. Let us confess our sin to God.”
Song of Confession: #379:1-4 “What Wondrous Love”
Prayers of God’s People
Offering: 1. Justice For All; 2. Samaritans Purse
THE WORD OF THE KING
*Song of Preparation: #265:1,2,3,6 “The First Noel” (Celebration Hymnal)
Prayer of Illumination
God’s Word Read: Matthew 2:1-12 (pg. 1008)
God’s Word Proclaimed: “Overjoyed!”
Prayer of Application
SERVING AND SHARING OUR KING WITH OTHERS
*Song of Response: #358:1-4 “As with Gladness Men of Old”
*Parting Blessing: “May the light of the glorious gospel of Christ shine in our hearts, transform our lives, and brighten the world. The blessing of God Almighty, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, rest upon you always. Amen”
*Parting Song: #358:5 “As with Gladness Men of Old”
*Postlude: “Joy to the World” -Cherban
*indicates congregation stand - organist...MaryLou Wielenga
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE:
GREETERS TODAY: Dan & Lisa Poppema, Elder Lee & Donna Van Grouw
GREETERS NEXT SUNDAY: Eric & Jana Rens, Deacon Travis & Brittany Veldman
NURSERY TODAY: AM Bobbie Kroese, Kari Ney, Sandy Pollema, Dana Driesen, Skyler Bonestroo, Grant Vanden Bosch; PM John Emerick Family
NURSERY NEXT SUNDAY: AM Lisa Poppema, Sherri Soodsma, Michelle Zomermaand, Alyssa Fedders, Erika Feenstra. Zachary De Jager; PM Mike Grevengoed Family
USHERS FOR JAN: Ryan Bolkema, Randy Winterfeld, Kevin Driesen, Mike Grevengoed
OFFERINGS: Today – Envelope receipts are for the church budget or for the cause(s) designated on your envelope. The loose offering is for 1. Justice For All; 2. Samaritan’s Purse
OFFERING NEXT SUNDAY: 1. Missions; 2.Gideons
COFFEE SERVERS TODAY: George & Nancy Heynen
COFFEE SERVERS NEXT SUNDAY: Henry & Cheryl Kats
POWER POINT TODAY: Ben & Lisa
POWER POINT NEXT WEEK: Ben & Lisa
SOUND SYSTEM TODAY: Glenn
SOUND SYSTEM NEXT SUNDAY: Ben
CORRESPONDENCE: Everyone is encouraged to send New Years greetings to our missionaries.
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
9:30 AM Worship Service
10:45 AM Coffee fellowship in the basement
6:00 PM Evening Worship Service
9:00 AM YPS Waffle Breakfast. Serving until noon.
FIRST CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
Dec. 29, 2013
WELCOME TO FIRST HULL! Jesus, help us keep Christmas in our hearts all year long. A nursery and a quiet room are available in the basement. TV’s are available so that the service can be viewed. We invite everyone to join us for fellowship & coffee after the morning service in the church basement.
SUNDAY SCHOOL/CATECHISM classes will not be meeting today. Classes will begin again on January 5th.
THE EVENING SERVICE is taken from Joshua 3, entitled “You Have Never Been This Way Before!” This will be our Old Year’s Service.
DAD’S BELGIUM WAFFLE BREAKFAST, a fund raiser for the YPS, will be held on New Year’s Day from 9:00-12:00 noon in the church basement.
NEXT SUNDAY MORNING we have the privilege of administering the sacrament of baptism to Addisen Alexis Pfingsten, infant daughter of Lindsey and John Pfingsten.
STUDENTS preparing for ministry in the Christian Reformed Church from Classis Heartland may apply for aid to assist them in their study by contacting Rev. Loren Kotman, 1111 5th St., Hull, IA 51239; (712) 439-1123; firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline is February 1, 2014.
THANK YOU to everyone for all the cards we received for our 65th anniversary. A special thank you to our care group for the lovely bouquet. It was very much appreciated! –Marvin & Alberta Vander Wilt
DAY OF ENCOURAGEMENT will be held Feb. 1, at Dordt. It will focus on Soul Care: Chasing After the Heart of God. Breakouts will be divided into 3 sections including culture, mission and worship. This is a day to inspire, encourage, and equip all God’s people for ministry. Early bird discount is on or before Jan. 17th. The church will pay the cost. Brochures are on the narthex table. Let Karen know if you are planning to attend.
THANK YOU so much for your recent offering to World Renew’s program and World Hunger fund. We appreciate your faithful support throughout the years. May God bless your ministry in the New Year.
FIRST CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- We extend our Christian sympathy to Larry & Marcia Hoekstra and their family in the passing of Larry’s mother, Katie Hoekstra, on Dec. 22nd. May God comfort you by His Word and Spirit.
- Congratulations to Justin and Sheila (Kleinwolterink) Van Schepen who were united in marriage on Friday evening. May God bless them with many happy years together.
- Congratulations to John & Margaret Meendering who will celebrate their 70th anniversary this Sunday, Dec. 29th. May God continue to bless and provide for your every need.
- Continue to keep Faye Huisman, Esther Rozeboom, Sandy Van Der Zwaag, and Bette Marra in your prayers. Pray for their continued strengthening.
- Harold De Vries continues as a patient at Mayo Clinic. Doctors continue tests to determine the cause of his difficulties. Harold is weak. Pray for wisdom for the doctors, strength and healing for Harold. Pray for his family. Visitors are welcome. Call first.
- We extend our Christian sympathy to Nelvina Kroese. Her brother, Wilmer Elbers of Brandon, SD, passed away Christmas morning from leukemia. We pray for God’s comfort and encouragement.
- Give thanks that Russ Vander Schaaf is making good progress. He was still in the hospital as of Thursday morning. He will have to stay in Omaha a few days after being released from the hospital.
- Continue to keep Sam Scholten in your prayers during this holiday season. Sam is serving with the 173rd Airborne Brigade at Vicenza, Italy. For those wishing to send him a card his address is: CMR 427 Box 2445, APO, AE 09630-0025.
- Pray for our shut ins: Audrey Jongetjes, Joyce Van Otterloo, and Melvin Van Otterloo at Pleasant Acres; John & Margaret Meendering, Don Westra and Fred De Jong in their home; Tena Pollema and Marvin & Alberta Vander Wilt in Sioux Center; Wilma Altena in George, Elmer Raman in Rock Rapids, and Ardelle Westra in Sioux City.
HOPE CRC FAMILY PRAISE AND PRAYER CONCERNS:
- We continue to pray for Harold De Vries, father of Lea De Groot and Judy Bonestroo. He is currently at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester where he is undergoing tests and receiving treatment. We continue to keep Harold’s wife, Joyce, in our prayers as well.
- Arlyn Boon continues his recovery at home. We pray for healing and strength for him. We also keep Twila in our prayers as she supports Arlyn during his recovery.
- Please continue to keep Gene Driesen in your prayers as he continues with chemotherapy. We pray that he may keep up his strength and we keep Nella and family in our prayers as well.
- We continue to pray for Mary Grooters as she resides at Aspen Heights.
Update on HCS Centennial Campaign: We are in the final phase in requesting financial gifts for the building project at Hull Christian School. Within the next couple of weeks you can anticipate a phone call from a member of your church. They will share the needs of Hull Christian School and the financing of the project.
JFA is planning for the 2014 Jan.-Feb. Work Projects Ministry in Mexico, Mississippi and Tennessee through the months of Jan./Feb. The work projects are wonderful opportunities to serve others but also to experience and understand God’s Kingdom in new and important ways! Projects are being planned in Mexico, Mississippi, and Tennessee throughout the months of January and February. For specific locations and dates, you can check out our website – www.jfa-nwiowa.org call Pat at 476-2804 or email email@example.com. There will be an informational meeting at the JFA Ministry Center in Rock Valley on Jan. 6 at 7:00p. Call Pat at 476-2804 for more information or to sign up. If you’re interested in the Mexico trip, please contact Pat by the end of December.
SIOUX COUNTY ORATORIO CHORUS begins its season on January 14 in preparation for singing Beethoven’s Mass in C Major on May 3 in Northwestern College’s Christ Chapel. Rehearsals will be held in NWC’s Choir Room from 7:30-9:15p on Tuesday evenings. All singers are welcome to join us. For more information, please contact Mike Ochsner (firstname.lastname@example.org).
NOTICE: Katelyn’s Fund next Adoption Support Meeting will be January 9 at the 1st Reformed Church in Sioux Center. Guest speaker will be Tressa Dykstra Van Voorst.
CROSSROAD CONNECTION: Presenting Crossroad’s International Coordinator. Sandra Chang Raak, CBI’s International coordinator, shares about her fascinating intercontinental background and her passion for making disciples of all nations. Got to www.cbi.tv to watch this week’s Crossroad Connection!